Software update failed

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
cocotse

Software update failed

Post by cocotse »

I updated my firefox to 2.0.0.3 and after I restart it i get this message

One or more files could not be updated. Please make sure all other applications are closed and that you have permission to modify the files, and then restart firefox and try again.

I tried everything and I can't get it to work. please help.

Post by Guest »

Can you open it in Firefox Safe Mode?
garethph

Post by garethph »

I get this as well. I usually login as a standard user (non admin rights) and Firefox tried to update to 2.0.0.3 and I get the same message.

I then logged-in as an Administrator and it updated ok. My Firefox is now 2.0.0.3 but I still get this message every time I start it up as an ordinary user.

This is with Windows XP Pro SP2.
prophet74

Post by prophet74 »

Please don't let this thread die! I have the exact same problem. I accidentally ran the updater while I was logged on to a WinXP Home limited user account. I then logged on to my admin account, updated normally, tested Firefox and everything was unicorns and rainbows.

I then logged on to the limited account and I get the exact same message. It is reporting that it is the current version 2.0.0.3, but it still gives me the Software Update Failed message.

This is just annoying right now, but I have this little voice in the back of my head that says something important to the security of FF is not updated correctly.
garethph

Post by garethph »

I've noticed other people posting similar complaints in different threads. It would be better if they were all added to one thread and then it might get noticed and fixed.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

garethph

Post by garethph »

That worked (Method 1), thanks:-)

update to 2.0.0.4 failed

Post by Guest »

I got the same "software update failed" when upgrading from 2.0.0.3 to 2.0.0.4.
I could continue, and it stayed on 2.0.0.3 (at least it kept working with the old version, very nice)

I searched for the error, renamed my active-update.xml and updates.xml and no change, except that I did convince it to redownload the mar file, but got the same error when it was being applied.

I tried safe-mode, and same error.

In updates/0/update.log, I found:

EXECUTE ADD AccessibleMarshal.dll
remove failed: -1,13 (AccessibleMarshal.dll)
### execution failed
FINISH ADD .autoreg
FINISH ADD AccessibleMarshal.dll
copy_file: failed to open: AccessibleMarshal.dll,13
(followed by gobs of missing file errors)

I went to look at AccessibleMarshal.dll and found that there was a ".moz-backup" file, so I renamed the existing one to .real and renamed the .moz-backup, and started firefox. Tada. it worked.

I now have AccessibleMarshal.dll at version 1.8.1.4: 2007051502

The .real file is 1.8.1.3: 2007030919

so I assume the update went through successfully. It looks like AccessibleMarshal.dll didn't update properly the first time, so it got in a state where it couldn't recover.

I haven't ever had problems upgrading before. I do have a bunch of extensions installed. I don't know if that matters, since I ran it in safe-mode and got the same error, although I suppose the first update attempt would have happened while extensions were loaded.

If it helps someone else, I have console2, dominspector, fireftp, flashblock, ie tab, image zoom, live http headers, lori, tabmix plus, talkback, view source chart, and web developer installed.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

It seems to me that the problem is with the update mechanism itself. The solution is to get the updates manually until that problem is fixed.
hawkeey

For Software Update with Limited User Problems

Post by hawkeey »

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=2909312

Give the Limited User permissions to installation directory, let Limited User finish update, remove permissions.
jondaley

Post by jondaley »

I guess I forgot to say that I am on XP Home, and with only one account (adminstrator) on this system.
so, I doubt it has anything to do with permissions.
Nakquada

Software Update Failed [FiX]

Post by Nakquada »

If you're using an antivirus such as NOD32, disable it as these AV's watch ur browser(s) for hijacks, and hence have the file in use. If so, you cannot update and will get an update failed message.

I have tried this on multiple machines, and it has worked fine. Its definitely a common problem with NOD32 Antivirus and SpySweeper.

Hope this helps
Gutza

For Thunderbird

Post by Gutza »

For people with the same problem in Thunderbird who ended up reading this thread, also see this thread -- helped me with the latest TB release (had to stop the Logitech webcam driver temporarily).
Old Makondo

Post by Old Makondo »

Last edited by Old Makondo on July 22nd, 2007, 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dantawn

Thunderbird Software Restart Failure

Post by Dantawn »

If you get the software update failure here is what the problem is;
DISCONNECT YOUR WEB CAMERA
1. A process called; QuickCam 10.exe seems to be causing the problem.
2. Press "Ctrl"/"Alt"/"Delete"
3. This will open Windows Task Manager
4. Select the tab "Process"
5. Locate the line; "QuickCam 10.exe Select the line.
6. Press "End Process"

If you were running the update, select "OK" and the update will install.
If you have not done the update, follow the steps above BEFORE you do the update.
Thanks to everyone for the threads on this.
Danny Wilson