Run Firefox in RAM partition (tutorial)

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Patik

Run Firefox in RAM partition (tutorial)

Post by Patik »

Just wrote this up this evening. It's sort of a combination of tips, but I hoped to present it in an easy-to-follow way. I'm looking for feedback on its usefulness, readability, and ease of understanding.

http://www.patik.com/guides/mozilla/ffram
rfrangioni77

Post by rfrangioni77 »

Excellent writeup, Patik, thanks!

Quick question, though...if I want to put Firefox on a Memory Stick (which is my next little project), I can stop before the "Now download and install RAMDisk...." paragraph, right? Is everything above that paragraph all that is needed to run Fx from a MemStick or USB drive?

TIA for the assistance.
This post has been scanned with Edgarware™
Patik

Post by Patik »

rfrangioni77 wrote:Quick question, though...if I want to put Firefox on a Memory Stick (which is my next little project), I can stop before the "Now download and install RAMDisk...." paragraph, right?

Yep. Just be sure that you change B:\ to the drive letter of the stick. I haven't yet figured out how to make it automatically detect that letter (since it depends on what computer it's plugged into).
Patik

Post by Patik »

Originally it wasn't totally working, so I updated the page. If you've already tried it, the change I made was in the start_firefox.bat file.
steeef

Post by steeef »

I'm a little wary of changing environment variables to trick Firefox into putting your profile somewhere else. Don't know if you noticed, but doing this makes Firefox think that "B:\ff_folder\" is equivalent to "c:\documents and settings\<current user>". Trying to save a file to the desktop while running Firefox with these environment variables set gave me an error message about not being able to find "B:\ff_folder\desktop". Plus, it's annoying to find that Windows creates Favorites and Recent Documents in this folder as well.

It might be safer to load Firefox with the Profile Manager to create a new profile whose location is at "B:\ff_folder\somefolder".
sleddog

Post by sleddog »

You might look at a different RAM disk product: AR RAM Disk, http://www.arsoft-online.de/products/product.php?id=1

It lets you set your RAM disk in 1 mb increments. Much more flexible as you can devote only what you actually need to the RAM disk, and not tie up RAM unnecessarily.
sleddog
gutzalpus

Post by gutzalpus »

<i>Trying to save a file to the desktop while running Firefox with these environment variables set gave me an error message about not being able to find "B:\ff_folder\desktop".</i>
<br><br>
When I run firefox with those environment variables I can't even get the 'save link target as' or 'save page as' dialog boxes to come up at all. I tried creating the \ff_folder\desktop folder and it still won't seem to work. I tried this on about 3 different machines so perhaps I am missing something obvious here?
mmoy

Post by mmoy »

Patik

Post by Patik »

Alright, I updated the page to use AR RAMDisk instead (thanks sleddog!) and to use the Profile Manager method so it doesn't screw with environment variables. I still need to test it out and possibly get it to work such that you dont have to go through the Profile Manager everytime you run it, but I figured it'd be best to make these changes ASAP since this thread has become a sticky.

http://www.patik.com/guides/mozilla/ffram
mmoy

Post by mmoy »

I spent about three hours trying to get the AR Ramdisk product to work and was unsuccessful so I want back to the old one. Just a caution on that particular product.
Dell E521 X2 5600+ MacBookPro 17'' 2.5 Ghz Penryn Dell M1330 2.0 Ghz Merom 4 GB Vista x64 Compaq r3000z AMD 64 3200+ (Win 32/64) PowerMac G5 1.8 Ghz MMOY-1.5 (OSX 10) Inspiron 8500, 4100, 4000, Dimension 2300 MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz HP E6600 HP X2 4400+
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

What was the particular problem? It's running smoothly here since about half a year.
Last edited by laszlo on February 25th, 2004, 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikeymike

Post by mikeymike »

I couldn't get AR Ramdisk to work with ramdisk partitions over 64MB. I use Cenatek's (paid for) ramdisk: http://www.cenatek.com/product_ramdisk.cfm
Patik

Post by Patik »

AR worked fine for me using the default options in Windows XP. Any other stories?

mikeymike, I'd like to stick with free options, but perhaps I can add a link to Cenatek and others for people who want to pursue it further, since 64MB is plenty for running Firefox.
mmoy

Post by mmoy »

If you're running FireFox and Thunderbird on 64 MB, there isn't much space left. I'd like to add Composer++ at some point so that may push it over the edge for 64 MB. I'd certainly like more but don't really need it for now.

I was unable to get the AR RamDisk to install and configure so that it would be used. Unfortunately, it uses the same driver name as the other RamDisk too so this might have been a problem. It would be nice if you could create more than one device with that particular driver as having two of them would work well for what I want it for.
Dell E521 X2 5600+ MacBookPro 17'' 2.5 Ghz Penryn Dell M1330 2.0 Ghz Merom 4 GB Vista x64 Compaq r3000z AMD 64 3200+ (Win 32/64) PowerMac G5 1.8 Ghz MMOY-1.5 (OSX 10) Inspiron 8500, 4100, 4000, Dimension 2300 MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz HP E6600 HP X2 4400+
mikeymike

Post by mikeymike »

I run OpenOffice off ramdisk as well.