MozillaZine

QuickTime is Crashing Firefox 2.0.0.3 / 2.0.0.4

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
muzicman82

Post Posted May 30th, 2007, 9:18 pm

Hello all,

I'm running Firefox 2.0.0.4 now (just updated) on Windows Vista Home Premium. Everything works fine... except for one thing.

I am a Lynda.com subscriber, and it seems that randomly, either launching a pop-up to a QuickTime video or closing an open pop-up window will cause Firefox to stop responding and crash. It's the only form of crashing Firefox has ever done to me, but it's driving me nuts.

Below is a crash report from Vista:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: firefox.exe
Application Version: 1.8.20070.51502
Application Timestamp: 4649940b
Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6000.16386
Fault Module Timestamp: 4549bdc9
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000661ad
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 1f8b
Additional Information 2: 79ca80fb87990d0d4f244065c4e0a78f
Additional Information 3: e1ed
Additional Information 4: 1baa75b24a8d09df657ed64d994ee6da

Any ideas? It's always fine when the pop-up is up and the video is playing, but opening and closing the windows seems to be the issue. I don't know if it's starting the QuickTime plugin that's at fault or what.

QuickTime version is 7.1.6.

KRL

Post Posted May 31st, 2007, 4:39 pm

same exact problem so far on one of my main PC's after upgrading to 2.0.0.4. Had about 10 crashes so far when viewing an .mpg movie file with the quicktime viewer.

Seems to be a general conflict between FF and QT processes. The lockup sometimes doesn't happen under the same exact circumstance, so it's a strange one.

Anyone else experiencing this?

This is the first time I've had a lot of FF crashes in a long time.

KRL

Post Posted May 31st, 2007, 5:40 pm

I did some more research and it appears to be a Quicktime bug.

Easiest solution is to go to Tools > Options > Content > File Types > Manage >

and then change the action for MPEG files to WMPLayer.exe instead of the plugin. This will play .mpg and .mpeg files instead in Windows Media Player and voila, no more crashes to deal with.

Hopefully QT will fix their bug in the future.

VanillaMozilla

Post Posted May 31st, 2007, 5:45 pm

QuickTime also has a recently-discovered, severe security vulnerability. You need to update to the latest version, if you have not already done so.

thesi001

Post Posted June 6th, 2007, 4:04 am

I have already mentioned this problem with XP prof. Followed the advice to uninstall QT7.1.6 and install QT7.1.5. After a lot of problems (Apple doesn''t like its software to be deleted apparently) I succeeded but now QT pops ups telling me I have to upgrade to QT7.1.6 and FF freezes. I have been busy 1,5 day deleting/installing/restoring etc. etc. I really don't understand why they are so careless.
But I also don't understand why there is not a general warning from Mozilla because this will do no good to FF for a lot of people will think it is the problem of FF. Will try your suggestion above to see if I can solve the problem. Thanks for the research.

VanillaMozilla

Post Posted June 6th, 2007, 6:49 am

thesi001 wrote:Followed the advice to uninstall QT7.1.6 and install QT7.1.5.

That's a bad idea. Look at this: http://secunia.com/product/5090/?task=advisories_2007 and look at the dates and the severity.

thesi001

Post Posted June 6th, 2007, 8:57 pm

Hi VanillaMozilla,
You're right of course but when something is not working you try everything. But it didn't work out so I changed back to QT7.1.6. After a lot of trying I finally solved my problem. Just for others having the same problems I give a short overview of what I did:
1. Install latest version QT7.1.6
2. In the final install screen of QT open "change mime settings" Change 'MOV' and 'Mpeg' files to WM player.
3. Go to C (or disk where FF is installed), program files, mozilla FF, plugins. Delete all 'mpqt*' files and don't forget the 'time class 5 file'
4. restart FF.
For me at least it solved the problem.

Remark for Apple:
1. I don't like their way of 'highjacking/changing' the handling of all kind of files without asking
2. I don't like their installation software in which you have to be very careful not to install software you don't want
3. I don't like it if they just install QT in my desktop, startup folder and quick launch without asking!
Good luck everybody

thesi001

Post Posted June 6th, 2007, 9:02 pm

Sorry, small mistake for point 2!!!
It should be:
2. Open FF, go to tools, options, content. In 'file types' click 'manage' Select one by one the MOV and Mpeg files, choose "change action", choose "open with this application" and select WM player (exe file).
Sorry again for the mistake.
Just to be sure. In the mime settings of QT in 'miscellanious' "flash" should be disabled.

VanillaMozilla

Post Posted June 7th, 2007, 3:40 am

thesi001,
You can edit your posts. If you log in, on the bottom right of each of your posts you will see the word "Edit".

muzicman82

Post Posted June 30th, 2007, 7:06 pm

Any updates on this? It's really annoying.

VanillaMozilla

Post Posted July 1st, 2007, 7:52 am

musicman82 wrote:Any updates on this?

File a Talkback report and post the number. If the module that crashes is QuickTime or any part of it, talk to Apple. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Talkback .

How to tell if you have Talkback installed? Tools > Add-ons.

How to install Talkback? Uninstall Firefox (...Add and Remove Programs) and reinstall. Do a custom reinstallation and you will have the option of installing Talkback. Don't worry about bookmarks and other personal data. They are not affected by uninstalling.

KRL

Post Posted July 1st, 2007, 9:34 am

It's a QT bug. Easiest solution is to just reassign your player.

Tools > Options > Content > File Types > Manage and then assign the mpeg files to open with Windows Media Player instead of the Quick Time Player.

grar

Post Posted February 10th, 2008, 1:10 am

the last release of Firefox was crashing with quicktime errors alot on YTMND, which is animated gifs with embedded mp3 audio. Also crashed frequently playing quicktime movies (which I do alot of, being in the 3d animation profession)
Quicktime popped up a week or two ago telling me to update to version 7.whatever, I did, all quicktime since then has been rock solid.

Until.

Firefox automatically updated itself today. Now i'm back to crashing, seemingly when there is quicktime related activity going on in more than tab, but I haven't thoroughly investigated the specifics since I'm too busy being pist off.

problem FIXED with quicktime update, then RESUMED with Firefox update.

I'm not going to give up my frame by frame advancing with quicktime player and let WinMedia do the job. Media Player is junk. Can I revert back to the previous version of firefox and never update again?

the-edmeister

Post Posted February 10th, 2008, 2:20 am

Always better to be "pist off", than pist on.

http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla ... /releases/

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.

VanillaMozilla

Post Posted February 11th, 2008, 7:21 am

Firefox is not what's crashing. ntdll.dll is a Microsoft file that is part of the operating system. Firefox (or maybe QuickTime) calls this dll and the dll crashes. Here's a report of a similar problem using Internet Explorer: http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPo ... 6&SiteID=1 .

If that's correct, then replacing either Firefox or QuickTime will not repair a Microsoft file, but it could temporarily fix the crashing, essentially by accident.

Since earlier versions of both Firefox and QuickTime have critical security vulnerabilities, I strongly recommend against reverting either to a previous version, if possible. KRL's solution sounds to me like the best idea if it works.

Return to Firefox Support