MozillaZine

No line breaks after "x" characters AND no flowed

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
David.P

Post Posted July 2nd, 2007, 9:47 am

Hi Forum,

I can't believe how something that basic can be almost impossible to set up...

I'd only like to send plain text messages NEITHER in format=flowed NOR with line breaks after 72 (or whatever number of) characters.

Here's what I have already set but so far with no avail:

mailnews.display.disable_format_flowed_support: false
mailnews.send_plaintext_flowed: false
editor.htmlWrapColumn: 0
mail.compose.wrap_to_window_width: false
mail.wrap_long_lines: false
mailnews.wraplength: 0
news.wrap_long_lines: false

I'm wondering whether there is anything else I can do such that TB does NOT insert line breaks in my messages?

David.P

Rod Whiteley

Post Posted July 2nd, 2007, 10:34 am

Internet standards require messages to be encoded for transmission, and they require line-length limits in the encoded data. Thunderbird is generally designed to comply with the standards. Modifying Thunderbird to make it non-compliant is not "basic". You risk losing data unpredictably, depending on the servers that your messages happen to be routed through.

You can modify the way Thunderbird displays messages by using a userContent.css file containing:
Code: Select all
pre[wrap] {white-space: pre !important;}
pre[wrap=true] {white-space: -moz-pre-wrap !important;}
Rod

David.P

Post Posted July 2nd, 2007, 11:02 am

Rod Whiteley wrote:Internet standards require [...] line-length limits in the encoded data.

Can you give a reliable source for this contention? Otherwise I'm sorry that I can't believe that (this very part of) your statement conforms with the facts.

Btw, I've sent literally thousands of messages - using other mail clients - with no line breaks (other than the line breaks that I have inserted intentionally), and there has been not one single loss or other complaint.

Therefore, I am more than happy to carry the (non-existant) risk that one in a million plain text messages that contains no line breaks might be lost, crippled or rejected.

Is there any way to tell TB to not insert line breaks? Alternatively, can ALL messages be sent as HTML, even when there is no formatting in the message?

Thanks for any further help,

David.P

Anonymosity

Post Posted July 2nd, 2007, 12:12 pm

mailnews.display.disable_format_flowed_support: false

This setting means that you are enabling format flowed support, right?

David.P

Post Posted July 2nd, 2007, 12:16 pm

This setting means that I am enabling format flowed *display* support. *Sending* format flowed is disabled in my case.

Rod Whiteley

Post Posted July 2nd, 2007, 12:59 pm

According to RFC 2822:
2.1.1. Line Length Limits<blockquote>There are two limits that this standard places on the number of characters in a line. Each line of characters MUST be no more than 998 characters, and SHOULD be no more than 78 characters, excluding the CRLF.</blockquote>

To trick Thunderbird into sending every message as HTML, you can use an HTML signature file containing an italic space. However, you get a signature separator.
Rod

David.P

Post Posted July 2nd, 2007, 1:04 pm

Rod Whiteley wrote:You can modify the way Thunderbird displays messages by using a userContent.css file containing:
Code: Select all
pre[wrap] {white-space: pre !important;}
pre[wrap=true] {white-space: -moz-pre-wrap !important;}

This setting did not change anything in the display of the messages that have been sent with fixed width without intention.

Btw, there is a "somewhat" interesting article regarding the question at hand in the TB knowledgebase, where it reads [emphasis added]:

mozillaZine wrote:Thunderbird does not normally support fixed-width messages, but you can implement fixed-width messages if you really want to.

In a normal e-mail message, the lines flow to match the width of the window or pane. Thunderbird wraps long lines by splitting them after the word nearest to the edge of the window or pane. The remaining words flow on to the following line.

[...]

Sending fixed-width messages is usually a bad idea, because you cannot predict how they will be displayed by other people's mail clients. Some people will find them difficult to read.

Well then I am wondering even more why TB does not support messages that are NOT fixed width (other than plain text ONLY messages but only of they have been composed with the HTML editor completely disabled in the account settings of the respective account...)

Read also what another user wrote at Bugzilla:

"I started this patch with a desire to enable 'no wrapping'. I traditionally send plaintext messages as one line per paragraph, which works just fine. The recipient's client wraps the message to whatever their window width is, and the replies don't have weird word wrapping.

One could argue that, with the advent of 'flowed' text, that this entire user interface element could be removed. But if it is there, it ought to work. And if it is removed then 'flowed' should be enabled for as many encodings as possible."

VERY true, if you ask me...

So this is obviously a bug.

David.P

Return to Thunderbird Support