Thunderbird 2 summary popup uses a lot of bandwidth

Discussion of features in Mozilla Thunderbird
lorebett

Thunderbird 2 summary popup uses a lot of bandwidth

Post by lorebett »

Hi

I had already posted here http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 15&start=0 and they suggested me to post the message in this forum

I like the new features of Thunderbird 2, but when I'm using a 56k modem, I noticed that it uses a lot of bandwidth (especially upon the first get messages of the day); I'm using only IMAP.

I think this is due to the fact that it builds a summary (the one shown in the right bottom corner of the screen) of the new arrived emails by inspecting all the IMAP folders.

Is there a way to disable this feature? I couldn't find it in the preferences...

I think there should be a way to disable such feature

thanks in advance
Lorenzo
David Bailey

Post by David Bailey »

I think this feature would be a lot more useful if it ran the junk filter first! I get about 95% junk, so in its present form, it is no use whatsoever.

David
lorebett

Post by lorebett »

Furthermore think of those using the cellphone and thus pay for the bandwidth they use... disabling this feature could save a lot of traffic...
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"I think this is due to the fact that it builds a summary (the one shown in the right bottom corner of the screen) of the new arrived emails by inspecting all the IMAP folders."

You could prevent that by configuring Thunderbird to only check the inbox for new messages. I assume you set mail.check_all_imap_folders_for_new to true. Another possible workaround would be to disable the customized new mail alert and have it only display the number of new messages. You don't have to use the latest and greatest features.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Checking_for_ ... hunderbird

I think this feature would be a lot more useful if it ran the junk filter first!
If you're using IMAP see if your email provider supports server side filters, and runs something like SpamAssassin. Frequently you can filter the spam before its stored in your mailbox, so Thunderbird is never aware that it exists. If you're using POP, see if any of the ideas in http://kb.mozillazine.org/Download_only ... P_messages make sense for you.
lorebett

Post by lorebett »

tanstaafl wrote:"I think this is due to the fact that it builds a summary (the one shown in the right bottom corner of the screen) of the new arrived emails by inspecting all the IMAP folders."

You could prevent that by configuring Thunderbird to only check the inbox for new messages. I assume you set mail.check_all_imap_folders_for_new to true. Another possible workaround would be to disable the customized new mail alert and have it only display the number of new messages. You don't have to use the latest and greatest features.

actually, that property, mail.check_all_imap_folders_for_new is set to false.

The only workaround I found is to disable the mail.biff alert properties... actually you were talking about disabling the alerts, but not how to do that, so I guess you were referring to these properties weren't you?

Now, the summary popup doesn't show up and the bandwidth is not wasted :D

Thanks for your help!

I think that disabling the summary should be part of the configuration dialog, instead of being accessible only through the configuration editor...
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I was suggesting you uncheck the options in tools -> options -> general -> customize. I believe that would set mail.biff.alert.show_preview, mail.biff.alert.show_sender and mail.biff.alert.show_subject to false.
lorebett

Post by lorebett »

Ooopsss... I hadn't noticed that!

Thanks again!

i documented my experience on my blog: http://tronprog.blogspot.com/2007/07/th ... popup.html