2007081505Minefield:what's the new star in the url bar for?

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
angelica

what's the new Star in the address bar for?

Post by angelica »

I'm referring to this white star:
http://m1.freeshare.us/168fs526030.jpg

once you click on it, it gets yellow, and if you click again on it, the url will be selected and a box will appear as if it permitted to save a bookmark.
http://m1.freeshare.us/168fs528453.jpg

Is this what the new star's there for, or what?

Thank you!
Last edited by angelica on August 19th, 2007, 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
supergirl260

Post by supergirl260 »

its part of the new bookmark system called places the star tells you if page is bookmarked or not and lets you bookmark it

note that there will be a lot more changes in bookmarks in comming months
angelica

Post by angelica »

thank you for the info! :)

I actually noticed it straight yellow when I surfed to a bookmarked page ;)
IceDogg

Post by IceDogg »

supergirl260 wrote:its part of the new bookmark system called places the star tells you if page is bookmarked or not and lets you bookmark it

Neat, I didn't even realize that it also showed you if it was already bookmarked. Guess I wasn't paying close enough attention.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

More information about that star.
http://mozillalinks.org/wp/2007/08/adva ... #more-1061

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Old kmc

Post by Old kmc »

Something to be mentioned:

- When you click on a white star, it'll become yellow, this implicitly add the current page to your bookmarks.

- I said "implicitly" because this page is not listed in your bookmark item, nor in the bookmark.html if you export your bookmarks. Yet it can be found by searching in your bookmark sidebar. It can be explicitly added to your bookmarks if you click on the yellow star again and choose folder, tags.
Rodze

Post by Rodze »

I just hope the star is going to be put a little up so it can be in the middle of the location bar, and maybe not touching its borders, like the icon of the page (on the left).
the_dees

Post by the_dees »

The star is currently stretched vertically, in the bug there's a screenshoot that shows how it should look like. And yeah, star on border isn't nice..

I just wonder when that functionality comes, not even two weeks until Firefox gets "feature complete".
Thank you. Have a nice day.
Wildmyron

Post by Wildmyron »

the_dees wrote:I just wonder when that functionality comes, not even two weeks until Firefox gets "feature complete".

My understanding is that that was the deadline for new Gecko features in 1.9.
The Ex Omega

Post by The Ex Omega »

the_dees wrote:
I just wonder when that functionality comes, not even two weeks until Firefox gets "feature complete".

It was my understanding that the functions were already in. They are just adding the UI now.
angelica

Post by angelica »

would the devs please place the star back into the address bar (white space)? where it is now, left of the GO green arrow button, is really ugly to see, not to mention it touches the black show-addresses drop down arrow and it's too distant from the GO button!

thanks!
Old kmc

Post by Old kmc »

angelica wrote:would the devs please place the star back into the address bar (white space)? where it is now, left of the GO green arrow button, is really ugly to see, not to mention it touches the black show-addresses drop down arrow and it's too distant from the GO button!

thanks!

You'd like to catch up with the discussion inside those nightly topics.
Old patrickdrd

Post by Old patrickdrd »

hhh

Post by hhh »

angelica wrote:would the devs please place the star back into the address bar (white space)? where it is now, left of the GO green arrow button, is really ugly to see, not to mention it touches the black show-addresses drop down arrow and it's too distant from the GO button!

thanks!

Visual bugs are always the last to be fixed from what I've seen, but progress does get made with each version-update. Very annoying to those of us who, as I think I've said before, VIEW their browser, but if you can't fix it yourself... <del>Patience (young Jedi), you must learn PATIENCE!;)</del>

Crud, just remembered, the quote is "Control, control, you must learn CONTROL"
Robert S.

Post by Robert S. »

Just a side note on ui changes that aren't finished. We've been trying to make ui changes earlier in the cycle instead of spending cycles trying to design what we think should be the ui when we release so that we can get feedback from the nightly testers earlier. Because of this there will be ui that is obviously not release ready but we hope that we'll get a wider range of productive feedback on how to implement the new ui with time available to make changes to it before the release. Sounds good in theory and it may very well work in the long run.