Anyone else hate the new download manager in trunk?

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
UrbenLegend

Anyone else hate the new download manager in trunk?

Post by UrbenLegend »

Does anyone else think that the new download manager is rubbish?

First, who keeps their download history so long that they need a SEARCH BAR to find the file that they downloaded? I've noticed that they've gotten rid of the clear downloads button and it seems like the devs are encouraging people to keep long download histories which is not good because it also increases memory usage.

Second, we don't need a line to tell us which downloads are completed and which ones are not. After all, the ones that are still downloading have a progress bar and the ones that have completed say Done. Simple as that. These lines are an eyesore.

Third, the icons on the right of each download are a fantastic idea, BUT the information icon is pretty much useless in its current form. The buttons in the information menu do not signal their intention clearly. Sure a tech-savvy user can think it cool that clicking on the path of the file will bring up the file's location, but normal users do not. They have no idea what it does exactly, and when they have no idea they shy away from it. There is also no icon to remove the entry.

Here's my proposal:

1.) Keep the search bar, but implement it the same way as the Ctrl-F Find bar. That way normal users won't have to bother with it, but those who have extremely unusually long download histories can simply type Ctrl-F and search away. The search results should also replace everything in the download window, including the active downloads (unless they're part of the search results). It makes no sense when you're trying to search your downloads and your active downloads remain on top as though part of your search. These search results can be cleared by clearing the text in the find box or by clicking the red x on the far left of the bar (much like the Ctrl-F bar).

2.) Either get rid of the lines that say completed and active or BETTER YET separate the downloads into tabs much like the addons manager, with active downloads in one tab and completed downloads in another tab. That way people can maintain long download histories if they want to, without cluttering up their active downloads list. Also it would make searching the download history much more pleasant since the search results aren't placed under the active downloads as they are now but put in another tab.

3.)Improve the information icon by launching the properties dialog box (the same one that they had in Firefox 2). Add a button that says "Copy Link" beside the Internet path and "Open Location" beside the actual file path on the hard drive. Also a red remove icon would be nice for the completed downloads.

Just my 2 cents for the day :furious:
bsr5

Post by bsr5 »

Yeah I don't like it either, I like the separation between active and completed downloads but hate the rest of it. I've been wanting a new download manager for a long time, but this is not what I had in mind. They could learn a lot from DownThemAll (minus any performance issues).

Good news is it's not really final, a lot of it can still change if others share the same opinions.
angelica

Post by angelica »

here's a thread I opened about that
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=576447

here's the bugzilla:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=391896

the new dm really sucks as it it..give your vote to the bug, if you like, and add your comment ;)
UrbenLegend

Post by UrbenLegend »

I like DownThemAll but the interface is a bit clunky and bloated, plus the downloads are paused when the downthemall is closed.

The original download manager was really elegant and lightweight. In my opinion the only necessary change was to make downloads resumable across sessions.
Stifu

Post by Stifu »

Wherever I install Firefox, one of the first things I do as far as configuration is concerned, is make it download history gets cleared automatically... and I feel like that should be the default option, but that's just me.
I haven't tried the new download manager yet, but it's still young, I'm sure it'll get better soon...
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Edited because Cusser doesn't approve of my opinion.
Last edited by malliz on August 18th, 2007, 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
yagood

Post by yagood »

It's OK.
"This show is taped before live studio audience... as soon as someone removes that dead guy. This is the Colbert Report!"
The Colbert Report @ Wikiquote
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

malliz wrote:Like to know how you can hate something that's not even finished yet. My advice? go back to 2.0.0.6 and stop playing with nightlies, you don't have the stamina

Suggesting improvements regarding unpleasant initial implementations is hardly something to be discouraged.

If you know the comments are going to be addressed (or explicitly will not be addressed), please say so, otherwise there's nothing wrong with discussion and/or bug filing about partially implemented features.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Have you read the assigned bugs on this Cusser? I have Maybe it would help more if the OP had
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
djl47

Post by djl47 »

No. I don't hate the new download manager. It does need a cleanup button and I would like to see it preserve the download statistics such as file size and time required for each download but these are things that are nice to have. The only problem I've seen is that downloads in progress during a crash get stuck. Are these supposed to be restartable?
sysKin

Post by sysKin »

Good things about new download manager:
* very fast with many many things (old froze firefox if it had too many elements)
* minor UI improvements (you can press and hold del to delete many elements, for example)

Bad things:
* the whole "i" button is very wrong on many levels. We don't want a tiny animated balloon, we want a serious panel with all the useful information. Either extend current item to fit (I don't know...) or show old Properties dialog when "i" is pressed or something along these lines.
* the icons (i and open). I'm not complaining how they look, I'm complaining that they shouldn't be icons. Addons manager is doing very good with text buttons.
* looks weird (wip?)
* no more useful related buttons, like clean up or show downloads folder.

Things still missing:
* drag & drop (drag downloaded mp3 and drop it on winamp)
* auto-delete old stuff (use History setting to figure out what's old).
Old kmc

Post by Old kmc »

Wish:

1. Copy URL
2. Clean up button

*Also wish an update of the "download status bar" extension...*
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

malliz wrote:Have you read the assigned bugs on this Cusser? I have Maybe it would help more if the OP had

No, I haven't, but this is hardly the "Oh my god, you're killing Qute, I hate you all" type of thread. At worst, it's constructive criticism.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

It would be constructive if the OP actually had followed the threads to do with the new Downloads manager and realized it was in it's infancy. Trolly would know this as he at least tests trunk builds.
"Terry Pratchett"
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

Constructive comments are always constructive. Why wait until something's finished to see if it matches your ideal? If there's a clear specification that you'd like to link to or bugs that spell out every detail of the design, I'd love to see them, because I haven't so far.

FYI: I've done plenty of trunk testing.