MozillaZine

Really Irritating.

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Lost User 78094

Post Posted August 30th, 2007, 3:58 pm

Has anyone noticed the upsurge (in some sites) flagging up Google to produce random searches? I have the extension Googlebar Lite installed on my browser and I've noticed when clicking links on some sites - all of a sudden Google search will come up with some totally unrelated topic, which can be just about anything, though nothing I've asked for...!

What I've spotted, is that the random search appears automatically within the Google search box, followed shortly by an uncommanded search. Could this be a new Firefox vulnerability that's being exploited?

Cheers

Chris D

steviex

Post Posted August 30th, 2007, 4:34 pm

Moving to Firefox Support, as you are using a current Build (2.0.0.6) Firefox Builds is for Test Builds of Firefox (Minefield, Gran Paradiso & Bon Echo)
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.

the-edmeister

Post Posted August 30th, 2007, 4:38 pm

Does that happen with the Googlebar Lite extension disabled?

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.

Lost User 78094

Post Posted August 31st, 2007, 6:41 am

Not (it seems) the problem changes to just Google itself loading into it's normal search page. I've also noticed something else as well (which may bear relevance). If I do a (genuine) search on the Google site and select any of the listed items, another site (http://101links.info) immediately opens up or redirects you to somewhere unconnected. In addition (in some cases) one may be re-directed several times. It's fortunate that I'm running the No Script extension as this is (quite nicely) stopping the re-directs from running and following through without my permission.

Do you know whether this is a Googlie thing or something more intrusive? I've done a thorough scan of my PC for any malware etc. (just in case) and come up clean. I'm beginning to wonder, as No Script is so effective at blocking (normally hidden) connections like Google-Analytics.com and similar nosey parker type connections, whether this is an attempt at trying to circumvent same? Hmm, interesting.

Cheers

Chris

oldtimer

Post Posted August 31st, 2007, 9:02 pm

This seems to be a rare, stealthy and maybe early spread of a DNS Hijacker or similiar. I know alot of things concerning viruses/mal-ad-spyware/trojans but DNS is not my cup of tea. I know using Ewido, now AVG Anti-whatever, you can use Analysis > LSP viewer to view your TCP/IP connections and see if they are similar to this post.

It seems this 'DNS thing' avoids all virus scanners, etc b/c they're not looking wherever this thing is storing itself. Registry, I would think. But now I'm not so sure. Probably some directory [in System32?] containing TCP/IP & socket files. I don't know how this thing is so freakin' elusive. I feel like checking Sophos.com out - they find the rarest things. Or maybe Viruslist.com if it's any good.

Resolution - but I'm not sure how one would go about 'changing their DNS'.

Whole thread:
http://forums.whatthetech.com/Spywar1_1 ... 82685.html

Another fix, yet looks more reputable:
Geeks to Go - need to remove 101links.info
Current: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9b2pre) Gecko/2007112000 Minefield/3.0b2pre
For kicks: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.6) Gecko/20060728 Firefox/1.5.0.6

Return to Firefox Builds