Javascript stopped working in Firefox

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
godrox

Javascript stopped working in Firefox

Post by godrox »

For some reason just recently Javascript stopped working right in Firefox. For example, in Wordpress I can see the widgets page, but I can't click and drag them around. I also run into usability problems on other sites using javascript. I know it's a browser problem because the sites work fine on other computers and with other browsers. I haven't made any changes to Firefox in a long time except for recently adding the Alexa Sparky 1.1 extension. I disabled it, but still have the same problem. The Javascript boxes are checked and enabled in Firefox preferences, too. Any idea how I can fix this?
Zach_Townley

Post by Zach_Townley »

dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Some security software (firewalls) also have special features to block JavaScript.
If Firefox updated recently then you may have to check the setting in those programs.
You can check that if the Standard diagnostic (e.g. -safe-mode) didn't solve your problem
godrox

Post by godrox »

I followed the directions in the link above and it turns out it was my coComment extension. I've been using it for a long time, so I don't know why it randomly started messing up javascript, but I disabled it and everything is fine now. Kind of a bummer, though.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

It is possible that there is interaction with another extension.
You can check that by disabling all the others and only enable coComment.

You can also try the bookmarklet: http://www.cocomment.com/tools/bookmarklet
emmfan

Post by emmfan »

I experienced the same thing where the coComment extension broke javascript actions in Firefox. I think they made some recent coding changes which created this conflict. Unfortunately, it does not work to just disable the extension for specific pages, you have to either disable the extension temporarily in the context menu or completely in the addons control panel.
richards1052

Post by richards1052 »

If you're still reading this thread, know that Alexa Sparky has a conflict/bug that creates the behavior you've described. I too disabled the plugin & it somehow didn't eliminate the problem. In reading reviews of the Alexa Sparky add on, I note that people have turned off the graph portion of the add on & that eliminates the problem. But you may, as I have, have to create a new profile. I think somehow the add-on either corrupts the user profile or changes some settings that can only be rectified w. a new profile.