[Ext] userChrome.js [support discontinued]

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
zeniko

[Ext] userChrome.js [support discontinued]

Post by zeniko »

userChrome.js allows to easily customize Firefox through JavaScript code snippets (see e.g. these code snippet collections as a starting point).

Download/install userChrome.js 0.8
This release works for Firefox and Thunderbird 2 and 3 and all Gecko 1.9 applications.

Support: For code related questions, please use the Extension Development forum.
Last edited by zeniko on April 19th, 2008, 12:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
deathburger

Post by deathburger »

Just want to bring this over to the new thread. It's been quite useful to me so hopefully others will think so as well.

<a href="http://deathburger.jottit.com/ucjs">http://deathburger.jottit.com/ucjs</a>
Eygte450

Post by Eygte450 »

i remember that there is a bug that if corrected, this extension would be useless... anyone know the #?
pirlouy

Post by pirlouy »

I've found other sites with userChrome.js scripts, and I don't use this page anymore.
http://extensions.geckozone.org/userChrome_js_scripts
Zoolcar9

Post by Zoolcar9 »

alice0775 has many useful userChrome.js scripts in her blog
http://space.geocities.yahoo.co.jp/gl/alice0775 (JA)
(<a href="http://honyaku.yahoofs.jp/url_result?ctw_=sT,eCR-JE,bF,hT,uaHR0cDovL3NwYWNlLmdlb2NpdGllcy55YWhvby5jby5qcC9nbC9hbGljZTA3NzU=,qlang=ja|for=0|sp=-5|fs=100%|fb=0|fi=0|fc=FF0000|db=T|eid=CR-EJ,">Translate to EN</a>)

My Firefox information | Add-ons | GitHub

"With great power, comes great desire to show it off."
pirlouy

Post by pirlouy »

Several scripts don't work anymore with version 3.0 beta 1. This one for example:

Code: Select all

var statusbar = document.getElementById("status-bar");
var menubar = document.getElementById("nav-bar");
menubar.appendChild(statusbar);

Is there a simple solution to have all these scripts compatible.
deathburger

Post by deathburger »

pirlouy wrote:Is there a simple solution to have all these scripts compatible.

Not if they're changing IDs at random which is what that looks like. If they are doing that it would be incredibly stupid by the way, it would break many many things that work fine now. I'm not keen on what they've been doing with Firefox by a long shot but I find it hard to believe they could do something that dumb on purpose.
pirlouy

Post by pirlouy »

Statusbar and menubar IDs have not changed. So the problem is with this kind of scripts.
aronin

Post by aronin »

Can someone advise me on whats wrong with this code? This is on Fx3preB2 nightly builds.

/* ::::::::::::::::::::::::: Places Organizer - Open in Tab ::::::::::::::::::::::::: */
document.getElementsByAttribute("key", "manBookmarkKb")[0].setAttribute("oncommand", '(getBrowser().selectedTab = getBrowser().addTab("chrome://browser/content/places/places.xul")).label = "Places Organizer";');
deathburger

Post by deathburger »

pirlouy wrote:Statusbar and menubar IDs have not changed. So the problem is with this kind of scripts.

Someone had once mentioned that there was a bug that, if fixed, would render this extension useless. Maybe they finally got around to fixing it?
pirlouy

Post by pirlouy »

Some scripts work, so I think the extension works well. It's just the script initialization which should be bad. :/
deathburger

Post by deathburger »

try something like this to see where it's dying:

if(!statusbar){alert("Unable to grab statusbar")}
if(!menubar){alert("Unable to grab menubar")}

There are better ways to debug but that one is quickest for small temporary checks IMO.
zeniko

Post by zeniko »

pirlouy wrote:

Code: Select all

WFM with the latest nightly (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9b2pre) Gecko/2007112305 Minefield/3.0b2pre) on a clean profile. So either the Beta is borked - or your profile resp. an incompatible extension therein.

Besides: Does not working anymore have any other symptoms such as related errors in the Error Console or snippets following that one not working?

aronin wrote:Can someone advise me on whats wrong with this code?

It sets an <code>oncommand</code> handler on an element which already sports a <code>command</code> attribute (which AFAICT takes precedence). So you'll either have to modify the <code>Browser:ShowBookmarks</code> command element or remove the <code>command</code> attribute from the menuitem you're working on...
aronin

Post by aronin »

zeniko wrote:
aronin wrote:Can someone advise me on whats wrong with this code?

It sets an <code>oncommand</code> handler on an element which already sports a <code>command</code> attribute (which AFAICT takes precedence). So you'll either have to modify the <code>Browser:ShowBookmarks</code> command element or remove the <code>command</code> attribute from the menuitem you're working on...

Ok, I tried it a different way and it worked:

/* ::::::::::::::::::::::::: Places Library - Open in Tab ::::::::::::::::::::::::: */
document.getElementById("Browser:ShowBookmarks").setAttribute("oncommand", '(getBrowser().selectedTab = getBrowser().addTab("chrome://browser/content/places/places.xul")).label = "Places Organizer";');

But ofcourse, couldn't be without problems:
Once I open Places Organizer in Tab ... New Folder command doesn't work anymore (within the organizer). Any ideas?
pirlouy

Post by pirlouy »

You were both right, deathburger & zeniko.
Some IDs have changed (notably bookmarks) and some scripts were blocking the following ones (console shows me errors).

Thanks.