MozillaZine

Lightning events display wrong time

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
nox771

Post Posted November 2nd, 2007, 5:24 pm

Looking for help here. I'm using Thunderbird 2.0.0.6 and Lightning 0.7 on WinXP, and I have a problem (which has existed on previous versions) with Lightning displaying the wrong times on events. I am in CST, so the timezone setting is set to America/Chicago in Lightning and Central (GMT-06:00) in WinXP.

The events I usually add are from email invitations, and the alarms seem to work ok - they always give reminders at the right time. However on the calendar display the times are shown as being off by 5 hours. Say a 3pm meeting will show up as 8pm.

After observing this problem for a while I noticed that past events are always 5 hours off (that is events older than today), and future events may or may not be off. Repeating events which happened in the past (weekly meetings) are always off by 5 hours, even in the future. Newly added events usually have the correct time on the display, at least for a while (I'm not sure how much time it takes to change), after which they may display wrong. If I double click on the event on the calendar it gives me a full popup window with the event information, but the time is also wrong in the popup. If I delete and re-add a bad event it will show up correct again at least for a little while, but then it eventually always ends up wrong.

The odd thing is that it knows the alarm time, since it gives me a popup window at the right time, but the display time is wrong. I had this same problem on older versions of Lightning too. I really want to use this for managing my events, but its become quite unreliable as I can't tell if an event at 3pm is really 3pm or if its actually at 10am. Just looking for some answers if anyone has any ideas.

bvdbos

Post Posted November 3rd, 2007, 1:02 am

Probably the events itself are scheduled in the wrong timezone. Since 0.7 you can set the timezone per event. Edit the event and turn on "options-timezone", you'll be able to change the timezone.

nox771

Post Posted November 4th, 2007, 9:29 pm

I did as you suggest and when I click on the Timezone option it puts up a link next to the event time that says "floating". If I click that link it opens a timezone window (which is a bit screwed up, the select dropdown box when closed, not in dropdown, is squashed to about 3 pixels tall) I can try to setup a timezone - it apparently is not set. Unfortunately it doesn't stick. If I change it then hit ok, it still shows "floating". Is there a way to force it to set a timezone when the event is created?

Also unrelated question - is it possible to disable the "feature" that tries to send an acceptance email back to the sender every time a meeting invitation is accepted?

lostgravity

Post Posted November 7th, 2007, 9:37 am

nox771 wrote:Looking for help here. I'm using Thunderbird 2.0.0.6 and Lightning 0.7 on WinXP, and I have a problem (which has existed on previous versions) with Lightning displaying the wrong times on events. I am in CST, so the timezone setting is set to America/Chicago in Lightning and Central (GMT-06:00) in WinXP.

The events I usually add are from email invitations, and the alarms seem to work ok - they always give reminders at the right time. However on the calendar display the times are shown as being off by 5 hours. Say a 3pm meeting will show up as 8pm.

After observing this problem for a while I noticed that past events are always 5 hours off (that is events older than today), and future events may or may not be off. Repeating events which happened in the past (weekly meetings) are always off by 5 hours, even in the future. Newly added events usually have the correct time on the display, at least for a while (I'm not sure how much time it takes to change), after which they may display wrong. If I double click on the event on the calendar it gives me a full popup window with the event information, but the time is also wrong in the popup. If I delete and re-add a bad event it will show up correct again at least for a little while, but then it eventually always ends up wrong.

The odd thing is that it knows the alarm time, since it gives me a popup window at the right time, but the display time is wrong. I had this same problem on older versions of Lightning too. I really want to use this for managing my events, but its become quite unreliable as I can't tell if an event at 3pm is really 3pm or if its actually at 10am. Just looking for some answers if anyone has any ideas.

I'm having the same problem here with Sunbird 0.7 (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.8pre) Gecko/20071023 Sunbird/0.7), running as an unprivileged user on XP. Same timezone settings. This was a fresh install, and the entries got imported via an .ics file. Everything looked fine, but this morning I opened Sunbird, and all entries are off by 6 (!) hours. In addition, syncing with my remote Google calendar does not work anymore and I get an

Error: INVALID_TIMEZONE
Exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x804a0001 [calIRecurrenceItem.icalProperty]" nsresult: "0x804a0001 (<unknown>)" location: "JS frame :: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Mozilla%20Sunbird/js/calItemBase.js :: anonymous :: line 612" data: no]

Any ideas are appreciated.

nox771

Post Posted November 7th, 2007, 11:08 am

Yes that sounds exactly like what I'm seeing. No solution yet, but I'm also following this thread on the same topic:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=3131567

bvdbos

Post Posted November 7th, 2007, 12:46 pm

confirmed and bug 402896 filed. As the timezone is unknown, the events becomes floating (bug 314339 and it's not possible to set a timezone for the event...

abracapokey

Post Posted November 7th, 2007, 4:00 pm

bvdbos wrote:confirmed and bug 402896 filed. As the timezone is unknown, the events becomes floating (bug 314339 and it's not possible to set a timezone for the event...
I'm having similar problems, and appreciate all the info on the bug.

I got a new laptop from my employer yesterday, running WinXP. Had been using Tbird and Sbird on the old desktop. Made a new installation of Tbird 2.0.0.6, saw the upgrades to Lightning and decided to try it. Big goof: forgot to set my timezone. Imported a Google .ics. *Then* tried to set timezone (to America/Los_Angeles; I live in southwestern Washington state). At first it took the adjustment, but it didn't "stick". Was thoroughly bummed--was liking Lightning.

So here's the catch: I tried to uninstall Lightning, and then start fresh. Even with a reboot between uninstalling Lightning and restarting Thunderbird, the imported calendar with the wrong timezone effects still appeared.

I don't know enough to know where to look to get rid of this "phantom" calendar. If I can't just import the Google calendar safely because of the bug, I'd like to still be able to use Lightning with a stable timezone setting. I can live with manually adding my appointments (makes me look at all of them, anyway).

How can I make Tbird stop picking up the bug-afflicted import? The Lightning extensions folder disappears from the Tbird profile after the uninstall, but the data comes right back (including the timezone setting for Lightning). Is this a Windows Registry thing?

Grateful for any help...

P.S. After hitting the wall with Lightning, I tried installing Sunbird 0.7, careful to set the timezone first. Then imported the Google .ics. Everything seemed fine--until I installed the Provider add-on for Google Calendar interaction. After restarting Sbird, the time settings for the imported events went all wonky again. Arg! Right now I can't use either product because of the phantom calendar issue (Sbird also picks up the unstable import upon reinstall).

But I'd rather get a working install of Lightning than try to get Sbird up.
"Would I knew a little more
or very much less." --Dorothy Parker

abracapokey

Post Posted November 12th, 2007, 4:17 pm

I solved my own problem by 1) reinstalling Lightning; 2) installing Provider in Tbird; 3) subscribing to my Google calendar remotely; 4) deleting the faulty calendar. All now seems well.

I still don't know where Tbird stored the "phantom" calendar from my original faulty local install (when the time zones went kablooey). I bez ignorant.

Now I just wish I could use Lightning Categories color-coding with the Google syncing, but since Google doesn't do categories, I guess that's just a dream for now.
"Would I knew a little more
or very much less." --Dorothy Parker

Return to Calendar