Can Thunderbird run in the background to check for email?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Ron-ski

Can Thunderbird run in the background to check for email?

Post by Ron-ski »

Well as the title says, is it possible to get Thunderbird to load when Vista does and run in the background checking for email, it only seems to check when I have the main Thunderbird application open, and I cant seem to find an option any where either. Had a look through some add on's and can't seem to find anything there either.
simplicidad

Post by simplicidad »

add TB to Windows Startup list
Ron-ski

Post by Ron-ski »

But then it would not be in the background - it would be open progam on the task bar

Post by Guest »

I use the minimize to tray extension
RDL

Post by RDL »

To start with Windows, and start minimised, you might be able to use

Minimize To Tray Enhancer from Thunderbird Add-ons

in conjunction with MinimizeToTray from Thunderbird Add-ons

You may also be interested in this article linked below:

Config.trim on minimize - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
Ron-ski

Post by Ron-ski »

Thanks, that's sound just like what I need.
anobis_911

MinimizeToTray from Thunderbird Add-ons

Post by anobis_911 »

hi,
The MinimizeToTray from Thunderbird Add-ons is not working for Thunderbird version 2.0.0.6 (20070728).
Please help.
Bye.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

It works fine with 2.0.0.6. What is it doing that makes you think it doesn't?
Ron-ski

Post by Ron-ski »

I've just installed it and it works fine, apart from the option to start with Windows, which does not seem to work, don't know if it's a Vista thing, but I just put a short cut in the Start Up folder.

Thanks for your help.
blusion

Post by blusion »

Yea it doesnt minimize to my system tray either
RDL

Post by RDL »

Ron-ski wrote:I've just installed it and it works fine, apart from the option to start with Windows, which does not seem to work, don't know if it's a Vista thing, but I just put a short cut in the Start Up folder.

Thanks for your help.

You're welcome.

I imagine you installed both 'Minimize To Tray' and 'Minimize To Tray Enhancer' since it's the latter which should provide the 'turbo' start and it needs the former to be installed as well. Pity about the failure to start with Windows in your case. There was some comment about Vista on the Moz Add-ons page so perhaps this is the same problem. That's why I said 'you might..'. Does the 'start minimised' feature work for you?
RDL

Post by RDL »

blusion wrote:Yea it doesnt minimize to my system tray either

Do mean just on startup or whenever it is minimised?

Have you installed both extensions and are you sure you have set all the necessary options for both extensions?
blusion

Post by blusion »

yes everything is set, i guess the add on isnt supposed to put it into your system tray ? oh well no worries
Ron-ski

Post by Ron-ski »

RDL wrote:
Ron-ski wrote:I've just installed it and it works fine, apart from the option to start with Windows, which does not seem to work, don't know if it's a Vista thing, but I just put a short cut in the Start Up folder.

Thanks for your help.

You're welcome.

I imagine you installed both 'Minimize To Tray' and 'Minimize To Tray Enhancer' since it's the latter which should provide the 'turbo' start and it needs the former to be installed as well. Pity about the failure to start with Windows in your case. There was some comment about Vista on the Moz Add-ons page so perhaps this is the same problem. That's why I said 'you might..'. Does the 'start minimised' feature work for you?

Yes I installed both, took me a while to find the options, but found them in the end. I put the shortcut in the startup folder and it does start up minimized to the tray, you can very briefly see a Window start to appear on the desktop and then disappear, I did try setting the shortcut to start minimized but it still briefly appears, and by briefly I mean a fraction of a second.

I did try running TB as Adminstrator as perhaps that was why the start with Windows was not working, but it made no difference, strangly enough when you right click and select run as administrator, TB opened as if I was logged into the Adminstrator account, IE no email or acount settings. I tried changing my account type to administrator in the end, but that made no difference either.

I'm perfectly happy with the way it all works now, it's great the way it close's to the tray, and Iv'e set it to open with a single click.
RDL

Post by RDL »

RDL wrote:
blusion wrote:Yea it doesnt minimize to my system tray either

Do mean just on startup or whenever it is minimised?

Have you installed both extensions and are you sure you have set all the necessary options for both extensions?

blusion wrote:yes everything is set, i guess the add on isnt supposed to put it into your system tray ? oh well no worries

Please answer the other two questions which I also asked.

Also, by "the add-on", do you mean 'Minimize To Tray Enhancer' or 'Minimize To Tray'? Which one?
(a) 'Minimize To Tray' is supposed to put TB into the system tray whenever minimised.
(b) 'Minimize To Tray Enhancer' is meant to make TB 'start minimized' when (and only when) you set that extension's options to do that.

(a) should be working even if (b) is not. Which one/ones does/do work?