Can't Stay Logged In

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
nvukelic

Can't Stay Logged In

Post by nvukelic »

Hi fellas,

I'm having a problem with my Firefox (version 2.0.0.9) which appeared for the first time after I installed 2.0.0.3 (I think). I cannot stayed logged in on web pages (eg. forums, gmail, etc.) if I check the "keep me logged in" ("log in automaticaly") box. My cookies are set to "allow cookies from sites" and "keep them until they expire". I didn't block cookies from any site. I tried clearing cache and cookies for several times, but it didn't help. I log in, close Firefox, start it again, open the web page, and I have to log in again. It also happens in Firefox safe mode.

It's so frustrating to log in every time!

I don't have the same problem on IE7.

Anyone have an idea what the problem might be?

Thanx anyway!
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Do you have any other software that deals with cookies?
Which security software do you have?

Is there a file cookies.txt created in your Profile Folder?
("Application Data" in XP and "AppData" in Vista are hidden folders)
nvukelic

Post by nvukelic »

Yes, there is cookie.txt file. I'm using Eset Smart Security 3.0.563.0 (NOD32) as a firewall and antivirus. I tried disabling both firewall and antivirus, but the same thing happens again.

Truth to say, I don't know if I have any other program that deals with cookies, but I think I don't.
FatJohn

Post by FatJohn »

Maybe 3rd party cookies settings.
nvukelic

Post by nvukelic »

Like what?
nvukelic

Post by nvukelic »

Anyone have another idea, cause nothing helped? I even tried reinstalling the Firefox, but the same thing happens.
FatJohn

Post by FatJohn »

Well, does it work as intended on a new profile? <a href="http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile#new">Making a new profile</a>
nvukelic

Post by nvukelic »

I did make a new profile and it didn't happen again. I also fixed the problem on the old one by deleting 9999 files named cookie-1.txt to cookie-9999.txt, so only cookie.txt left in the profile folder. Lucky guess, but it solved a problem :-).

So this topic can be locked.

Thanx for your help, mates.

See ya!
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Did you notice more multiple files in your profile folder?
They are usually caused by security software that locks the main file and shouldn't be there.
So you have to check the settings of those programs if the multiple files return.

Some info:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Multiple_cook ... es_created
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Preferences_not_saved
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Unless you have fixed it, you will find a bookmarks file that is Readonly. It might be called something like "bookmarks.moztmp.bak". Or maybe it's "Bookmarks.html" itself. If you don't remove that Readonly attribute the problem will probably recur. Plus, you probably need to keep the security software out of the profile directory.
nvukelic

Post by nvukelic »

I actually have more duplicate files.

There are 504 MimeTypes.rdf files named "mimeTypes-1.rdf" to "mimeTypes-504.rdf", beside the "mimeType.rdf" file. Is it safe to delete them?

The "bookmarks.html" is not read-only, but there are aslo "bookmarks.html.sbsd.bak" and "bookmarks.bak".

Also, beside "session.rdf", there are 1246 files named "session-1.rdf" to "session-1246.rdf". Is it safe to delete them, too?

I added the profile folder to NOD32 exclusion list, hope that will help.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

"bookmarks.html.sbsd.bak" was created by a utility program, not by a Mozilla program.

Holy moley! You've got a bunch of files. I think it's safe to delete them, but you know what, you can just move them to a safe location until you're sure.

But they are all created because some other program is systematically marking your files Readonly, or keeping files open when Firefox is trying to write to them. I don't think all those files are Readonly, but one is. I forget how this works, but Mozilla has three files, for example
bookmarks.html, bookmark.bak and bookmarks.moztmp.something . Those most all be clear when Firefox is trying to use them. You have to go back and make sure NOTHING is readonly in your profile. By the way, the most recent file of each set is the current one. You should rename it by removing the numbers, and delete (or move!) the others. Example: bookmarks-999.html ==> bookmarks.html. But be careful of the bookmarks and passwords files, just in case I told you wrong! You're in charge of this, not me. Good luck.
nvukelic

Post by nvukelic »

Actaully, none of the files is read-only :-).

And, the only file that doesn't have 0 bytes size is "MimeTypes.rdf"/"Session.rdf", not the last ones numered ("MimeTypes-504.rdf"/"Session-1246.rdf", so I assume that they are the current one.

I'll try to delete them and see what happens, but I'd really love to know what causes these multiple files to create.

P.S. I deleted them and nothing bad happened. Anyone has the idea how to prevent multiple files to create?
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Firefox cannot write to a file, so it creates another one instead. So you don't believe me, huh?

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Multiple_book ... es_created
"Having your profile folder (or the files "bookmarks.html" or "bookmarks.html.moztmp" in the profile folder) set to read-only, hidden, or locked can cause this problem. To resolve this issue, make sure none of the files in the profile folder is hidden, locked, or marked read-only."

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=157152
"read-only/hidden bookmarks.html (or bookmarks.html.moztmp) causes creation of bookmarks-{n+1}.html"

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=257288
"read-only profile files (cookies, bookmarks, etc) not respected, results in data loss"

If you can document another situation, then file a bug report. But make sure it's not a duplicate of one that's already been filed.