FF crashed at least a dozen times this morning!

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
jwayne

FF crashed at least a dozen times this morning!

Post by jwayne »

I'm getting <b>really</b> tired of the constant FF 2.0.0.11 crashes. Today, logging in or out of gmail is particularly problematic.

Yes I have created new profileS.
Yes I have removed extensions.
Yes I have read the various faqs.

As I have said before, FF is - by far - the most unstable application I have run in years. And perusing the boards here suggests that I am not alone. I can live with the - as yet unresolved - memory leaks that has FF consuming more and more memory until it has to be restarted.

But the crashing - my frustration level is <u>almost</u> enough to drive me back to IE. But not quite yet.

End of rant.
teoli2003

Post by teoli2003 »

Do you have some Talkback ID of the crashes you are experiencing?
asquithea

Post by asquithea »

If there's no particular pattern to your crashes, it might also be worth running Memtestx86 on your computer.
novusmode

Post by novusmode »

I second jwayne. Firefox has been particularly unstable since the latest patch was installed.
Dartman

Re: FF crashed at least a dozen times this morning!

Post by Dartman »

jwayne wrote:End of rant.
So do you want help?
jwayne wrote:Yes I have created new profileS.
Yes I have removed extensions.
Yes I have read the various faqs.

What various FAQ's have you read? Plugins (Flash, Java, etc.) can also cause crashing. These plugins are not touched when creating new profiles.

Have you tried the following link and the links therein? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_crashes
Alcohol and Calculus don't mix. Never drink and derive.
jwayne

Post by jwayne »

teoli2003: Talkback has never worked for me. It simply refuses to send anything and says something like "can't contact proxy server". (I don't use a proxy server.) So rather than have an annoying popup that doesn't do anything, I just disabled talkback.

asquithea: I haven't run Memtestx86 in a while, but FF is the only program that crashes on me. I'll try it, but it would indeed be strange that FF is the only app that would be sensitive to bad memory.

Dartman: After leaving the message, I completely removed FF from my system and reinstalled. The first time after reinstallation I went to Google Reader and it crashed. Are you saying that a non-Java, non-Flash site can cause a crash because of Java or Flash? I have read the Firefox crashes faq and the Java, Flash, etc pages. But they only say that these can cause problems. It doesn't say anything about diagnostics. I have the latest versions of both Flash and Java.
Dartman

Post by Dartman »

jwayne wrote:Dartman: After leaving the message, I completely removed FF from my system and reinstalled. The first time after reinstallation I went to Google Reader and it crashed. Are you saying that a non-Java, non-Flash site can cause a crash because of Java or Flash? I have read the Firefox crashes faq and the Java, Flash, etc pages. But they only say that these can cause problems. It doesn't say anything about diagnostics. I have the latest versions of both Flash and Java.

When you completely removed Firefox from your system, did you remove your profile folder? When you reinstalled, did Firefox pick up all of your settings like bookmarks and passwords?

I mentioned that plugins like Flash and Java can cause problems based on the following comment from you.
jwayne wrote:I'm getting <b>really</b> tired of the constant FF 2.0.0.11 crashes. Today, logging in or out of gmail is particularly problematic.
Here is what I mean. I interpreted your comment as gmail is not the only site causing you problems. Perhaps I interpreted your comment incorrectly. You also mentioned both Gmail and Google Reader. Technically speaking, those are two different programs/products from Google. Some of the Google Reader stories are Flash based videos, or have Flash on the websites that the story is posted on. Are you having problems with both sites? Is it crashing right when you enter Google reader, or is it crashing after you enter and read some of the stories?
Alcohol and Calculus don't mix. Never drink and derive.
jwayne

Post by jwayne »

When you completely removed Firefox from your system, did you remove your profile folder? When you reinstalled, did Firefox pick up all of your settings like bookmarks and passwords?

I removed everything. But I did restore my passwords and bookmarks after re-installing.

I interpreted your comment as gmail is not the only site causing you problems. Perhaps I interpreted your comment incorrectly. You also mentioned both Gmail and Google Reader. Technically speaking, those are two different programs/products from Google. Some of the Google Reader stories are Flash based videos, or have Flash on the websites that the story is posted on. Are you having problems with both sites? Is it crashing right when you enter Google reader, or is it crashing after you enter and read some of the stories?

Right when entering reader (not when reading a story) or gmail. It also crashed today immediately upon going to joomla.org which doesn't have anything special displayed on the home page.

At work FF <b>occasionally</b> crashes but it isn't frequent enough to be annoying. At home, my kids each have a computer (four of 'em) and they almost exclusively use FF (XP SP2, and Windows 2000 SP4). Since I don't hear them screaming and complaining (about FF at least!), I believe that FF is mostly stable on those computers.

One other piece of info, which may or may not be relevant. I have a smoothwall hardware-based firewall. The other machines (not mine) have all html requests filtered via dansguardian on the smoothwall machine.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

If you swear that you have created a new profile, that you haven't altered that profile or added anything to Firefox, and it still crashes frequently when you are using that profile, then I would have to suspect a computer problem.

It could be a hardware or software problem. Memory, or a video driver, for example. You mentioned that you haven't had any problem with other programs, but that could be because they don't happen to use the same features (in a video driver) or the same faulty memory, for example. Or it could be that you have Firefox configured to make heavy use of the CPU, and the CPU could be overheating. On this forum we have actually seen crashing problems traced to each of those causes.

So don't assume that it can't be X or Y, without checking. It's easy to outsmart yourself.

Now, what else might be different between your setup (which crashes) and mine (which doesn't)? A proxy to use Talkback?! Are you using a proxy? Try it without a proxy. See if you can file a Talkback report. A crash report would be a big help in finding the cause. I don't know--maybe there's a problem in the proxy code, but you would think that something like that would have been found by now.

By the way, I know that some of the major Mozilla developers use GMail, so I doubt that there's any special problem there.
decavolt

Post by decavolt »

I'm seeing exactly the same behavior from 2.0.0.11 on my MacBook running OSX 10.4.11 and on an iMac running OSX 10.5, and these issues only started with Firefox 2.0.0.11. I highly doubt this is a hardware/software conflict when it's happening on multiple machines across multiple OSes. Previous versions of FF didn't have this issue at all. Gmail, Google Reader, and various other random sites crash the browser completely, or it spirals up it's mem, virtual mem and CPU usage until I have to force quit the browser. It's crashed a minimum of 5 times a day since 2.0.0.11 was installed.

I've disabled all plug-ins with no change, done complete remove and reinstalls on both machines and still see the same crashing behavior. I'm about to downgrade so that I can actually use the browser and be productive.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Can you use gmail from your kids' machines? If so, what are the differences between your machine and the kid's? I am thinking AV or security suite stuff. Also, if you work from home could it be something that you installed to be able to reach your work network?

Finally, and I'll admit it isn't very likely, have you tried to install dansguardian on your machine? (If this works we will all nod our heads knowingly and say "Problem Solved!" :) )

Also, the kids use windows on their machines. Are you using windows on your home machine?
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

decavolt-

You might want to start a new thread since you may not be having the same problem as jwayne except superficially.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
jwayne

Post by jwayne »

Various replies:

Version: the problem didn't start with FF 2.0.0.11, but it got way worse with it. It's currently almost unusable on my home machine.

Talkback: it always fails sending reports. I don't remember the exact message, but it says something to the effect that I should check my proxy settings. I do not have a proxy. This was a problem from way back and since other folks had a similar problem, I just disabled talkback. Is there a manual way to submit talkback reports without relying on the agent for doing the sending?

Sites: I only mentioned gmail and reader because I frequently go to those sites. The problem is not specific to gmail or reader nor does it always crash there. It can occur with just about any site. FF will hourglass for a bit (sometimes a long while) while loading the site and then crash.

Dansguardian: I'll start to filter requests from my IP address and see what happens but I doubt that this would be the cause. Gmail, for example, is not a filtered site so a request to gmail (all my kids use it) would just pass through unfiltered to all machines.

Other differences with my machine: different hardware, different video (& vid driver), different services (e.g., it runs apache & mysql for local development). All machines use avast for AV. I use Comodo as a software firewall while the other machines do not; I'll disable and see how frequently FF crashes. That may be a hopeful possibility even though FF is a trusted application.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

BTW, I realized that you used Gmail as an example. However, it seems like a good thing to focus on. It is a fairly straight forward site and does not offer any oddball unknowns. If things are fixed to get to Google they are likely to be fixed most other places.
Post wrangler
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

You know, there's one way to check what's going on -- a clean start.

1. Create a new profile. DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGES to the profile. Do no add any addons. No themes, no extensions. Do not check any options, except that you may turn off Java and JavaScript if you want.

2. Download Firefox from www.mozilla.org (not from a flaky third-party site).

3. Uninstall Firefox with Add/Remove programs.

4. Reinstall <i>in a new folder</i> (important).

5. Run it with the new profile.

If you do that, then you will have a guaranteed, new, unadulterated copy of Firefox, and you can completely eliminate anything with Firefox program files or setup as the cause. You would be surprised how often this works.

Here's how to create the profile: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows . Don't try to move any data to it, and don't make any changes until you are absolutely sure it works.