MozillaZine

Cookies being randomly deleted?

Discussion of bugs in Seamonkey
Hooded One

Post Posted February 18th, 2003, 11:56 pm

I've been using 1.3b and am quite satisfied with it overall, but I've noticed that some of my cookies randomly disappear. It's not necessarily something that happens between browser sessions, either, and it's not limited to any particular domain. I just double-checked my options, and my current cookie options are as follows:

Enable all cookies
Disable cookies in Mail & Newsgroups

All other options are unchecked, including the option to limit the lifetime of cookies.

In case it's of any help, here's the version string from About:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.3b) Gecko/20030210

I've tried to see if the same thing happens in IE or Opera to see if it may be something with the servers, but I don't have the problem with them.

Has this even happened to anybody else?

Sander

Post Posted February 19th, 2003, 1:22 pm

How many cookies do you have set? There's a (hardcoded) limit of 300 stored cookies (the cookie-rewrite planned for 1.4a should change that IIRC).

Alex Bishop
mozillaZine Admin

Post Posted February 19th, 2003, 1:37 pm

Sander wrote:How many cookies do you have set? There's a (hardcoded) limit of 300 stored cookies (the cookie-rewrite planned for 1.4a should change that IIRC).

Actually, I believe the limit of 300 cookies is enshrined in the <a href="http://wp.netscape.com/newsref/std/cookie_spec.html">cookie specification</a>.
Alex

Sander

Post Posted February 19th, 2003, 2:14 pm

Oh well - won't be the first specification we break... ;)

Sides, it's not really a hard maximum:
This is a specification of the minimum number of cookies that a client should be prepared to receive and store.
Servers should not expect clients to be able to exceed these limits. When the 300 cookie limit or the 20 cookie per server limit is exceeded, clients should delete the least recently used cookie.

The last "should" is unfortunate, but seen in context there's nothing inherently wrong with storing more cookies...

Hooded One

Post Posted February 19th, 2003, 6:08 pm

Sander wrote:How many cookies do you have set? There's a (hardcoded) limit of 300 stored cookies (the cookie-rewrite planned for 1.4a should change that IIRC).

Umm... how might I get a count... without actually *counting* them? I don't see any easy way to get a count from the Cookie Manager.

Edit: Ok, I just looked at my cookies.txt and it contains a total of 264 lines, including the comment lines at the top. So I don't have more than 300. :/

Sander

Post Posted February 20th, 2003, 1:23 pm

But you probably had at the time the cookies went missing, as session cookies are part of the 300, but not stored in cookies.txt

Return to SeaMonkey Bugs