Persistent Problems Downloading Files

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Tutty

Persistent Problems Downloading Files

Post by Tutty »

Hi,

I do hope someone can help with an extremely annoying and frustrating problem that is constantly occurring when I try to download files of any size to my pc.

Whenever I try to download a file I am constantly getting an error message which reads "C:\Documents and Settings\Jim\SpellOE_setup.exe could not be saved because an unknown error occurred. Try saving to a different location. This message pops up no matter what program file I am trying to download, it occurs with both small or large files being downloaded and it still occurs even if I try downloading files from many safe and respected download websites which have scanned all available downloadable program files for nasty things like Adware/Spyware and Viruses.

I have consulted the Mozilla Knowledge Base and followed all the steps reccomended to correct this problem, but the advice provided by Mozilla has NOT fixed this extremely annoying and very persistent problem.

To recap the steps taken in my efforts to resolve this problem with Firefox downloading files I have repeatedly performed the following actions.

1. Clicked "Tools->Downloads->Clean Up" in the Firefox
Menu.
2. Manually cleared the Download History by closing
Firefox, opened the Firefox Profiles folder an deleted
downloads.rdf file.
3. Cleared Browsing History, Download History, Saved
Form Information, Cache, Cookies, Saved Passwords,
Authenticated Sessions. Firefox is also set to clear all
Private Data listed above when I close Firefox.
4. Clicked "Tools->Options->Privacy/History" and
unchecked "Remember What I Have Downloaded".
5. I Have Chosen a new download folder in the Firefox
"Tools->Options->Main/Downloads, However this did
NOT help with this problem.
6. Have entered about:config in the Firefox Address Bar
reset any preferences that had a user set status
(browser.dowload.dir,browser.download.download.Dir,
browser.download.folderlist,browser.download.lastDir,
browser.download.useDownloadDir
via right-clicking that preference and clicking reset.
7. I Have also reset all Firefox preferences to the default
values via renaming/deleting the prefs.js file in the
Firefox Profile Folder.
8. I have completly uninstalled all Add Ons/Extensions.
9. I have tried starting Firefox in Safe Mode with only the
basic features of Firefox being used and after being
able to download 1 or 2 program files, I once again
started getting the error message "C:\Documents and
Settings\Jim\SpellOE_setup.exe could not be saved,
because an unknown error has occured. Try saving to
a different download location". However saving to a
different download location doesn't help fix this problem.
10. I have completely uninstalled Firefox ,cleaned the
Registry with CCleaner and did Manual Searching and
cleaning of any remaining Mozilla/Firefox Registry
Traces or Files that I could find on my pc.
11. I downloaded and installed Firefox again on my pc.
I am well aware that certain Add Ons/Extensions can
cause this problem to occur, So I did NOT install any
Extensions/Add Ons at all when I reinstalled Firefox
But after being able to download 1 or 2 program files
I once again started getting the error message I have
mentioned above.
12. I once again have completlely removed Firefox from
pc and cleaned out any remaining traces of Firefox.
13. I have also tried downloading the latest Firefox 3
Beta 2. I had heard reports that Mozilla has made
improvements to the download manager. But much to
my dismay I am still having this extremely annoying
and frustrating problem which is driving me nuts.

I am currently using Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002 with Service pack 2 and is fully updated on a regular basis.

I using a pc which has an Intel Celeron CPU 2.27GHZ proccessor,512MB of RAM and a 80GB Hard Drive.

The software I have installed on my pc- AVG free Anti-Virus,WindowsDefender,AVG free Anti-Spyware, (No Real Time Protection after 30 days), ThreatFire, WebWasher,Advanced WindowsCare 2 Personal, CCleaner and Sandboxie. All scans of my pc have NOT detected any Virus,Spyware,Adware or Rootkit infections

I have tried absolutely everything to try and fix this problem with Firefox downloading files and as I have said previously, I have tried all the advice given in the Mozilla Knowledge Base and that has not helped to fix this problem. I hope I have not missed any possible methods of fixing this problem and I also hope that I have not omitted any information that may be required by anyone wishing to help me solve this problem. I am currently at my wits end trying to deal with this very persistent problem which is extremely annoying and frustrating and I really hope someone has the answer to my problems.

I really do like the Firefox browser because in my experience it has always been faster than Internet Explorer when surfing the internet. I like the many Add Ons/Extensions which can be used to enhance it and the user interface is a lot nicer than the Internet Explorer user interface and I believe Firefox(with No Script installed) is more secure than Internet Explorer. I only use Internet Explorer when I have to use it because Firefox doesn't work well with all the websites on the Internet.

I hope the Mozilla developers of Firefox are carefully reading the posts on this forum as I feel the technical researchers should have another look at this problem I have tried all the advice given in the Mozilla Knowledge base and still have Not been able to resolve this issue. I am aware that some other Firefox users are also having persistent downloading problems. I was hoping that the improved download manager in Firefox 3 Beta 2 would put a stop to this problem, But unfortunately this stubborn problem is still persisting!!!. I really do not wish to have abandon Firefox and begin using a different browser from a rival company that is in competition with Mozilla.

I really do hope that someone can help me resolve this problem with Firefox.
Tigen3o1

Post by Tigen3o1 »

Sandboxie intentionally prevents whatever browser you attach it to from making any changes to your operating system. This includes preventing it from saving / downloading any files. Protects you from downloading a virus, for example.

Try uninstalling Sandboxie and see if it works better.

If that doesn't help, it sounds like you already have read and done these things, but if not I'll put the link:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unable_to_sav ... load_files
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

What company is in competition with Mozilla, which offers free Open Source programs?
The software I have installed on my pc- AVG free Anti-Virus,WindowsDefender,AVG free Anti-Spyware, (No Real Time Protection after 30 days), ThreatFire, WebWasher,Advanced WindowsCare 2 Personal, CCleaner and Sandboxie. All scans of my pc have NOT detected any Virus,Spyware,Adware or Rootkit infections

You don't need all that crap if you run Firefox and never use the sieve known as IE!

Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Tutty

Hi

Post by Tutty »

Hi,

Thanks to everyone for your advice, but I wish to point out that when I am downloading a quality program that is well respected and known to be 100% free from Adware,Spyware, or Rootkit infections I always download it outside of the Sandboxie Sandbox, but to be sure this was not causing the problem I completely uninstalled Sandboxie and this did NOT help with my downloading problems.

I have also followed the link you provided and it provided me with same steps that I have followed in my previous posting.

I also wish to respond to "ed-meister" comments that if we use Firefox I don't need all that other crap installed on my pc!!!.

I do agree with you that Firefox(with No Script installed) is a better browser that is more secure than Internet Explorer because it doesn't use Active X which is often abused to install these threats and that Mozilla do in fact respond much more rapidly to security isssues. I also do not like Internet Explorer at all and only use it when Firefox wont work well with a website.

But "ed-meister" are you honestly expecting anyone to believe you when you claim that if I only use Firefox and NO other protection that I will NEVER get a pc Virus, Spyware, Adware Infection, Browser Hijack or Rootkit infection via downloading infected program files.

Many of these threats are using quite sophisticated techniques to infect a pc and avoid detection. Zero Day Exploits are being used to infect pcs in many cases. In the case of Syware/Adware I am aware that Firefox users are less vulnerable to these infections. But if a less experienced pc user downloads a file infected with Spyware/Adware it can be extremely difficult to remove, sometimes it requires a full reformatting of the Hard Drive and reinstalling the operating system to ensure that the infection has been completely 100% eradicated.

You seem to a more experienced pc user who is well aware of good Safe Surfing habits which has obviously helped you to avoid many of the pitfalls of surfing the internet.

But please try to remember that there are a great many less experienced pc users who have learnt the hard way about the sheer havoc these things can unleash on a pc and the resulting mess can be extremely difficult to clean up and sometimes requires a very time consuming reformatting of the Hard Drive and full reinstall of the operating system which is a daunting task for a newbie.

As for an alternative browser to Firefox have you ever heard of the Opera browser which I am considering switching to if I can not solve this problem with my downloads.

As I Have stated previously I really do like Firefox and
I do not wish to create the impression that I am bashing Firefox because of my complaints regarding this issue.

I will only resort to uninstalling Firefox and switching to another browser as a last resort when all efforts to fix this problem have failed.

I also would like to respectfully ask "ed-meister" to only respond to my posts in future if he has found a way of resolving my Firefox downloading issue.

This stubborn and persistent problem I am having with Firefox downloading program files is extremely annoying and very frustrating.

I do not wish to be sidetracked from fixing this problem by other people who do not have any useful advice or who do not know of a possible way to solve this Firefox problem.

So in future could all people wishing to respond to my post please stick to providing advice on solving my Firefox problem and avoid raising other issues.
Last edited by Tutty on January 16th, 2008, 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Well, you've certainly tried (almost) everything to do with Firefox. I suspect the reason that you haven't been successful is that the problem is not Firefox. You never know for sure, but I don't recall seeing reports of any similar problem with Firefox itself. I download large files all the time with no problem. I recently downloaded a 700-MB Linux ISO file.

It seems that Firefox cannot create the file for some reason. Could be insufficient privilege, disk full, or ?? If that were the problem during downloading, you would expect a specific error message, but you never know. Try copying a file to the same location.

My other guess would have to be security software. It's common for security software to interfere with Internet access and downloads in unforseen ways. It's awfully hard to know what that stuff is doing. When most of your applications are security software, it's possible to be so safe that things don't work any more.

There are two things you can do to make sure the problem isn't Firefox. I know you have tried at least part of this, but maybe not in quite the same way. The following two steps will guarantee that you have exactly the same program as tens of millions of other people:

1. Create a new profile (don't delete the old one--it has your data, you can switch back at any time). See my signature for details.

2. If that doesn't work, uninstall Firefox with Add/Remove programs and install <i>in a new folder.</i> (Your data will not be affected by reinstalling.)

3. (I couldn't resist adding a third.) Uninstall any download plugins. A new profile and new program files will not remove plugins.
Tutty

Post by Tutty »

Hi VanillaMozilla,

I am still having problems with Firefox downloading files.

I disabled all security software on my pc while I attempted to download a few files, I was able to download 1 or 2 files to my desktop and then I started getting that error message again.

But exactly the same thing happens when all my pc security software is fully functioning, I am able to get 1 or 2 files downloaded. But after that I can't download anything unless I apply the steps described in the Mozilla Knowledge Base(detailed in my original post) and then this problem occurs again.

I Have created a new profile as you suggested but this did not help with this problem, I have also tried downloading files in Firefox Safe Mode but this problem persists.

I have also uninstalled all Add Ons, Extensions and Plug Ins.

Firefox has full operating privileges on my pc, I have an 80GB Hard Drive of which I have only used 25GB.

I have uninstalled Firefox using Add or Remove Programs, downloaded and installed a fresh copy. I did not install any Add Ons, Extensions or Plug Ins and left all settings in their default mode.

But after I got 1 single file downloaded the error message quoted in my original post popped up again!.

I have made sure that Firefox is not set up to remember what I have downloaded.

I can't download anymore program files until I apply the advice given in the Mozilla Knowledge Base which I have detailed in my original post. But after a short time this problem occurs again.

I really don't know what is causing this ongoing problem with Firefox.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

You don't need to uninstall addons (extensions + themes = addons). A new profile has no extensions and the default theme, <i>unless you change it.</i>

Where did the error message come from? Can you post a screen shot? I suspect it's not a Firefox message.

You have eliminated any known problem with Firefox. I still have to suspect security software, malware, or a problem with your ISP or network.

Some security software is devilishly difficult to uninstall (even buggy), and you will not succeed unless you follow directions carefully. And you may have to do considerable digging to find the directions. "Uninstalling" in the usual Windows way doesn't always work. Perhaps you should run Trolly's program EnumProcess and post the results. You can find it on the "Error loading Websites" article in the Knowledge Base. That will tell us what's running.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Question: Have you cleared out your Temp directory recently? Also, did you ever download SpellOE_setup.exe using Firefox?
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Or cleared downloads? I don't know what happens if that gets full (I don't think it gets full). Although a new profile should take care of it.

<Ctrl>j will give you a list of downloads. Shouldn't really fill, but what do I know?

Grasping at straws, but it takes a second to check.

Problems

Post by Guest »

I am also having similar issues on 3 different computers, I hope this is resolved soon.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Same file? Have you tried any of first three steps attempted by Tutty?
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
VanillaMozilla

Re: Hi

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Tutty wrote:But "ed-meister" are you honestly expecting anyone to believe you when you claim that if I only use Firefox and NO other protection that I will NEVER get a pc Virus, Spyware, Adware Infection, Browser Hijack or Rootkit infection via downloading infected program files.

Well, maybe. It depends on you, of course, but almost no one runs less security software than I do, and I've had a total of one virus in the entire PC era. That was only because I foolishly believed that Word would not execute a macro virus just because I told it not to. Easily eradicated, fortunately.

I have an AV program and ZoneAlarm (free) (and/or router), and that's all. But the AV programs never finds anything. I have scanned my computer with all that stuff, but they never find anything. Someone sent me the Love Bug before I had AV. It sat there harmlessly in my e-mail. (Why would I want to execute a VB script? And how would I do it even if I wanted to?) I put my trust in prudent practice, not in sleeping guard dogs. AV programs are not updated frequently enough anyway, and who's going to protect you against criminal "security" software? Everything just seems to work fine--never had a problem--not even any crashes--so I don't worry.

I was thinking of updating XP to SP2 at work, but I'm just going to buy a $20 router instead. Naturally, I don't advise this for everyone, but if your computer is running almost nothing but security software, then maybe there's a problem. At home, well, Bill himself couldn't secure my computer totally from my family. <i>No</i> sign of any problem, but when I see QuickTime installed (Windows is so painful to lock down), I can't be entirely sure, so I've moved credit-card transactions to Linux. Simple solutions always trump layers and layers of leaky security.

Hope you get the situation under control. Don't know what's wrong with your environment, but give Opera a try, even if you get Firefox working. It's good to have a second browser, and maybe it'll do the job for you.
Guest3

I have the same problem

Post by Guest3 »

the error I get is:

C:\Docume~1\User Name\Locals~1\Temp\pnte9df5.exe could not be saved, because an unknown error occurred.

Try saving to a different location

the title bare says: Downloading C:\Docume~1\User Named\Locals~1\Temp\pnte9df5.exe

User Name is replaced by my user name....which (call me paranoid) but I don't ever post...

if the file I am trying to download is accessible via hyper link, I usually can download it by right clicking and clicking save target as. otherwise I get that blasted message. sometimes I don't get an error but I can't find a pattern. I have tried everything listed above...the only other thing I can say is that the exe file name changes every time I try to download the file. i.e. if I click on the download button again I get the same message but the pnte9df5.exe is something like hk353j5p.exe...
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Tutty wrote:But "ed-meister" are you honestly expecting anyone to believe you when you claim that if I only use Firefox and NO other protection that I will NEVER get a pc Virus, Spyware, Adware Infection, Browser Hijack or Rootkit infection via downloading infected program files.
Sorry my response was so flippant.

The reason I switched to Firefox 100% back in 2003, was that I got tired of spending an hour or so running all those malware programs and cleaning up garbage that go in thru IE 6 after spending an hour or so on the internet, even with having what I thought (Norton) was a good Anti-Virus program. I also use webmail exclusively to prevent the execution of "love bug" type viruses. My Linksys router log shows dozens of attempted incursions every day, but blocks them at the door. 99% of the time I run a Firefox installation that doesn't have any plugins (Java, QuickTime, Flash, etc) installed, if I want to view a multi-media presentation that requires a plugin, I'll copy'n'paste the URL into a version of Firefox that has those plugins - when I am done viewing it, that version of Firefox gets closed. Too many plugins have uncorrected Bugs or holes that to go for too long without being fixed, that can be exploited. I avoid any program from M$ (Open Office instead of Word, for instance), as those are the first programs to be exploited - blame it on sloppiness by M$, their market share, or how deeply those programs get embedded into the Operating System, I don't care - anything but MS programs are in my mind far safer. The next step is dumping the M$ Operating System for Linux.

Smart usage instead of multiple avenues of defenses, that may even counteract each other. You can believe me or not, but I am not talking garbage.

In the last 5 years I have had zero problems with picking up anything thru Firefox. Never received any warnings from AVG or any of the scanner programs I used to run - the only thing any protection program found was harmless cookies.

Sorry if this doesn't help you lead to solving the problem you are having.

Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Guest3,
I assume you are Tutty and not Guest?

This is for diagnosis, not necessarily the solution, but try
Tools > Options > Privacy.
Uncheck "Remember what I've downloaded".