F3b3 Places ignores bookmarks

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
jvc

F3b3 Places ignores bookmarks

Post by jvc »

Hi,

after i upgraded from beta2 to beta3, all bookmarks which were not placed in one of the three folders (Bookmarks Toolbar, Bookmarks Menu, Unfiled Bookmarks) are gone.

Now i recognized, that bookmarks placed there are also not saved to the bookmarks.postplaces.html file when closing Firefox.

Is that normal? Any chance to get my lost bookmarks back?

Thanks, Joe.
SK.

Post by SK. »

Moving to Firefox Builds.
John 3:16 and Philippians 4:13
teoli2003

Post by teoli2003 »

To get back your bookmarks: Bookmarks -> Show All Bookmarks -> Import and Backup -> Restore and choose last backup (or the day before).
jvc

Post by jvc »

Aren't bookmarks restored from the files in bookmarksbackup?
As i mentioned, the bookmarks which are not placed in one of the three folders, aren't written to the bookmarks-whatever.html files.

So unfortunately a restore doesn't bring back my lost bookmarks.

Is the upgrade from beta2 to beta3 restoring the bookmarks from the last saved file?
Because if i drag'n'drop a bookmark into the list (not in one of the three folders), it is saved, but doesn't show up in the bookmarks files.

Regrads, Joe.
pal-moz

Post by pal-moz »

where did you save bookmarks to/in ?
teoli2003

Post by teoli2003 »

jvc wrote:So unfortunately a restore doesn't bring back my lost bookmarks.

Oh sorry, I misread you.

I'm afraid their are lost.

But it seems to be a bug. I've done the following test. I have placed one bookmark outside the three folder and done an export.

In the resulting file, the new bookmark wasn't there.

Even if you shouldn't have lost them at the first place, you should have get them back that way.

I will file a bug entry if I don't find one.
jvc

Post by jvc »

I open my bookmarks in the sidebar. Then the three folders are shown (Bookmarks Toolbar, Bookmarks Menu, Unfiled Bookmarks).
Then i drag'n'dropped below the three collapsed folders to create a bookmark, so the bookmark is placed _not_ in one of the three folders.

I hope this explanation was understandable.
jvc

Post by jvc »

@teoli2003: They were lost with upgrading to beta3. That's why i asked if the upgrade restores the bookmarks from the last saved file.

If it is, then the lost bookmarks are a result of the bug, that bookmarks outside of the three folders are not exported.
teoli2003

Post by teoli2003 »

I've filed the following bug in it: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=417228

Please do not make unnecessary comments to it. I've linked this discussion to it.
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

Also could be related to https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=396806 maybe.

Tagged Bookmarks / and unfiled not backed up.
teoli2003

Post by teoli2003 »

Yep that's similar though not a dup stricto senso. A fix seems to be almost ready and it will likely fix also 417228.

(Note that the export part is probably a second problem, though not critical at all).
caintry_boy

Post by caintry_boy »

I also upgraded to Beta 3 yesterday and lost all my bookmarks. Trying a restore back to 2/11/2008 doesn't even get them back.....

:cry:
teoli2003

Post by teoli2003 »

Have you done a system restore or through Firefox' Library thing.

Were you using Fx3 beta 2 or another release (2.x)?