how do you make search folders in FF 3?

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
frandavid100

how do you make search folders in FF 3?

Post by frandavid100 »

The question is quite simple, actually. Let's say I want a search folder in my firefox 3.0b3 bookmarks that shows me all my bookmarks tagged as "linux". How should I do it?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Your question should be posted in the Builds forum where support for pre-release versions is provided. If you register on the forums we can move this post to that forum. Please let us know if you register so we can move this rather than create a new topic there.
frandavid100

Post by frandavid100 »

Thanks, I have just registered so I think you may move the thread now.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome. Glad to oblige.
Max Karl Ernst

Post by Max Karl Ernst »

For example

Code: Select all

place:terms=linux&folder=BOOKMARKS_MENU&folder=TOOLBAR&folder=UNFILED_BOOKMARKS&expandQueries=0&queryType=1
Last edited by Max Karl Ernst on May 11th, 2008, 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
bielawski

Post by bielawski »

The easiest way is to search using the Library's built-in search tools to get the query you want and then click Save (above the results list).
bomfog

Post by bomfog »

bielawski wrote:The easiest way is to search using the Library's built-in search tools to get the query you want and then click Save (above the results list).

I don't think that's currently possible for a tag search. No tag-specific ui. Bug 399799 – add query options for tags. For a while I tried using " |foo " as a pretty unique tag format, so I could match only tags, but it didn't seem worth it.

"Bug 411549 – place:folder=x shows next to Location line in Library" is liable to make to make things worse before they get better. I'm afraid the Location: field interface for this kind of thing may disappear, more so than it already has. At one time there was a hidden query-debugging interface in the Library. Alas, no longer.

Also, saved searches that match on tags run afoul of "Bug 402799 – Saved searches that match on tags show duplicates" and others.

All in all, assuming Max's query is correct (haven't tried it), I'm afraid that seems to me the most practical route for now.