Firefox can NOT access internet after update !

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
sontaysa

Firefox can NOT access internet after update !

Post by sontaysa »

After Firefox automatic update, it can not access internet ! It was still working well before update ! I checked firewall and others, no change !
Please help me ! Thanks !
steviex

Post by steviex »

The Firewall needs telling that you have a new version of Firefox. As Firefox has altered, the Firewall thinks its a new Program.

Remove Firefox from the Firewall's Allowed Program list, and allow the Firewall to redetect it.

Read this sticky, and ALL the articles it links to... http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=523703
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
emorydoc

Post by emorydoc »

I have Windows Vista Business and despite removing firefox from the firewall list, and redetecting it, I cannot get online with 2.0.0.13
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Moving to Firefox Support
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

emorydoc-

What happens when you put 64.233.187.99 in the address bar. You should go to Google.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Chikyu

Problem with loading an internet page

Post by Chikyu »

Hi I'm experiencing the same problem.

I installed the new update for firefox (2.0.0.13) and since then firefox is unable to connect with the server. I have tried removing it from my firewall but that doesn't work. I checked the suggested websites and followed through the steps but these didn't help either. I uninstalled and removed al components of firefox from my pc and that didn't help either. After that I tried the Firefox 3 beta version but that one is unable to connect to the server aswell :(.
I have a reasonably new pc (december) with Windows Vista. What should I do to get it back to work??? Help someone?

LoudNoice: Nothing happens when I put that in the address it still gives the same message saying that it cant connect to the server.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Try this:

First, download this program http://www.trolly.homepage.t-online.de/EnumProcess.exe . This is written by one of the forums monitors and is safe.

Second, turn off your firewall.

Third, run the program and click on “Save to Clipboard”.
Post the results here.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Linda W.

Post by Linda W. »

ugh.

i have the exact same problem.
i've been battling it for two days now and i'm left with having to use IE.

what's that program that someone here scripted that tells you what's running or something?
because i have no clue if my uninstalled firewalls (norton) are still secretly running in the background.

please, if anyone can help, i'd appreciate it.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

See my post above.
Post wrangler
Linda W.

Post by Linda W. »

Windows Firewall is off
8 Service(s) from AVG (AVG) detected
1 Service(s) from Norton/Symantec (SYMTDI) detected
antispy process from Ad-Aware detected
1 processes from Symantec Corporation detected
4 processes from GRISOFT (AVG) detected

this is what i got.

in fact, nothing from norton/symantec should be running..
steviex

Post by steviex »

OK.... Run this to kill Norton..
If you do not want to use Norton.... then see this http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ts ... 3108162039
Print off all the screens it suggests, and follow the on screen instructions carefully

Its the detritus that Norton leaves, that is causing your problems....

Boys and Girls.. If you EVER let Norton near your system, you will have problems.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
tunicamycin

Post by tunicamycin »

Ok, I've been unable to load any webpages on Firefox since the update installed last night.

I get this message from Firefox when I try to open a webpage:
Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at en-us.start2.mozilla.com.
* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

However, Internet Explorer connects without any difficulty.

My laptop runs windows Vista, used to have Norton Internet Security until it expired a while back, when I uninstalled it. As of now, Windows Firewall is the only (apparently) active firewall on my system, according to the windows control panel. I also have a Symantec AntiVirus running.

I thought my problem could have been because the update could not install properly - there was an error saying that one of the files could not be loaded correctly. As a result, I've uninstalled, downloaded and reinstalled the new version several times.

I've tried deleting and re-adding Firefox from windows defender's list, following the instructions on this page:
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Can ... ng+Firefox

Likewise, I followed the checklist on this page http://noise.loud.googlepages.com/ffthesteps.html
and still could not connect.

I received the following output from the EnumProcess application, after switching off Windows Firewall:

Windows Firewall is off
2 Service(s) from Avira (AntiVir) detected
1 Service(s) from Norton/Symantec (SYMTDI) detected
antispy process from Microsoft Windows Defender detected
antispy process from Microsoft Windows Defender detected
2 processes from Symantec Corporation detected

I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me figure out what's wrong here.. Happy to oblige if other info is required.
Thanks!
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Hey, someone finally used the page :)

You have Norton, see steviex post above.
Post wrangler
trolly

Post by trolly »

Both of you have still SYMTDI running which is a kernel service of Norton/Symantec. If you had uninstalled Norton the uninstall process was not successful. Download the norton removal tool as advised from steviex.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
Linda W.

Post by Linda W. »

when i click download for the norton removal tool.. it says internet explorer cannot connect to that page!

is there a different source in which i can download it from?