Firefox - causing network activity with no windows open(Mac)

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
n5tkn

Firefox - causing network activity with no windows open(Mac)

Post by n5tkn »

Mac OS 10.5.2, iMac 24" (the new core 2 duos). FF 3b5. After Firefox is opened, after a few moments (I have an app that monitors network activity bytes in/out) it begins to show around 800 KB/s in, and around 20 KB/s out. Not sure if the out is FF related or not. Closing Firefox (not just the windows) is the only way to kill the large in rate of data.

Just wanted to report this, I don't know how to give more information but if someone wants me to do something as in giving more data, or anything, just let me know.

Thanks, hope this helps someone.
clickwir

Post by clickwir »

If you weren't on the latest version, I'd say it's just downloading an update in the background. It could be an extension checking for and downloading an update. Have you let it run for a while and see if it stops on it's own?
n5tkn

Post by n5tkn »

Here is additional information. If I load up one of my streaming Motion JPG Axis webcams....then close it....the activity level it generated in (approx 242 KB/s never stops. If I load that page again, the activity then goes to almost 500 KB/s. Load it again, it adds another approx 242 KB/s in. Closing those windows never stops the data stream...as though FF is still pulling the stream. If I do a netstat, it shows all 3 connections still established.
n5tkn

Post by n5tkn »

I just tried this in Safari 3.1. Opened the camera view page in 3 tabs. Got to around 750 or so KB/s in. Closed each tab, each tab closure dropped the right amount of KB/s in. No tabs open to that camera, only spotty traffic (in B/s.)

Definitely Firefox, correct? Or is there a bug in the camera's viewer that only Firefox triggers? I'm going to try another cam view I have, an old D-Link thats is a Java applet'ed viewer. I'll report back shortly.
n5tkn

Post by n5tkn »

Hmm...not a good test. Its old cam and can't serve fast images....only got around 30 KB/s being pulled...adding windows just bogged the cam itself down. Closing the windows stopped the traffic. This is very interesting. I'd love to know what causes this. I love a good mystery.
Pike

Post by Pike »

I'd guess it's downloading/updating the anti-phishing database in the background. You might want to have a look at this page:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Connections_e ... _-_Firefox
n5tkn

Post by n5tkn »

Nope. Can't be that. I can directly influence it by loading the Axis web cam page I talked about, multiple times, and causing the network activity to jump precisely with it. If I load FF and DON'T go to that page...it doesn't ever get stuck in the high network activity.

Cause and effect.
Pike

Post by Pike »

No need to take that attitude, I was only trying to help.
n5tkn

Post by n5tkn »

Ummmm there was no attitude dude...sheesh.
Jim too

Post by Jim too »

Connection for pushed content (e.g. WebCam) not broken if tab is out of sight but still in bfcache

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=373701
n5tkn

Post by n5tkn »

Jim too wrote:Connection for pushed content (e.g. WebCam) not broken if tab is out of sight but still in bfcache

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=373701

YUP! This is it!! I posted to the bugzilla report as well so hopefully someone will confirm it. It doesn't happen in Safari, it is quite obviously FF causing it. Glad to know I'm not insane.
n5tkn

Post by n5tkn »

Oh and seriously Pike, I was not taking an attitude with you at all. Seriously. I appreciate your attempt to help.
Pike

Post by Pike »

n5tkn wrote:Oh and seriously Pike, I was not taking an attitude with you at all. Seriously. I appreciate your attempt to help.

Thanks, sorry about my response, I totally misread the tone of your post.
n5tkn

Post by n5tkn »

No problem, it happens.