MozillaZine

Mozilla Stealth Data Project

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
Metalstream

Post Posted May 15th, 2008, 7:26 pm

Ummm
Mozilla Stealth Data Project.

I don't see this as a great idea... it could be used for some kind of interpretations...
"I love God, He's my favourite fictional character." - Homer J. Simpson

Daifne

Post Posted May 15th, 2008, 7:32 pm

Metalstream

Post Posted May 15th, 2008, 9:17 pm

Thats because I said... the thing with interpretations... some people won't see this from that...

Daifne

Post Posted May 15th, 2008, 9:18 pm

Read the comments on John's blog... It's not going over very well.

malliz
Folder@Home

Post Posted May 15th, 2008, 11:00 pm

I wonder why :eyeroll2:

I am often amazed at how far removed from reality some of the people involved in Mozilla are at the moment. Are they living in the same space-time continuum?
[RANT] I mean people would like less, not more information gleaned from them. And yes from what I can gather I know they are basically trying just to use the information gathered to speed the information and "Web Experience". When in the hell are they going to understand that people just want a bloody web browser that's fast and reliable? grrrr.....idiots.[/RANT]
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"

LoudNoise

Post Posted May 16th, 2008, 9:04 am

I love the way Mozilla handles this sort of nonsense. They announce this sort of crap on one of 67 million Mozilla Blogs that appear to be used for such announcements, talk about the item where folks are actually likely to read about it and then become surprised when the majority of the user base gets really pissed off.

It is all our fault of course. If we would just read the blogs we would have known about this (and AMO etc.). Since the browser is free it is not like we have to work for a living.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."

Uncle Spellbinder

Post Posted May 16th, 2008, 8:16 pm

Is it just me, or is Mozilla starting to sound a little bit like Microsoft
My Firefox Add-Ons Collection: Firefox Essentials

Omega X

Post Posted May 16th, 2008, 10:00 pm

LoudNoise wrote:It is all our fault of course. If we would just read the blogs we would have known about this (and AMO etc.). Since the browser is free it is not like we have to work for a living.

As a person who reads those obscure blogs, I've known about this for about a few weeks now. Mozilla extreme loyalists are gung ho for this "anonymous statistics usage" reports crap. It remains to be seen if this will improve anything. But one thing is for sure, Microsoft uses this wherever whenever and it doesn't improve much of anything that a user could have just told them and saved them the trouble of combing through data.
Latest: Firefox/81.0 *ESR/78.3.0 - Mobile/81.1.1 - Thunderbird/78.2.2
Nightly: Nightly/83.0a1 - Mobile/GV 82.0a1 - Daily/83.0a1

Metalstream

Post Posted May 16th, 2008, 10:36 pm

What I think is that Firefox is not the only "great web browser". :)

tqft

Post Posted May 16th, 2008, 11:17 pm

anyone identified the code block where this implemented?

bugzilla numbers would be a good place to start.

malliz
Folder@Home

Post Posted May 17th, 2008, 1:35 am

tqft wrote:anyone identified the code block where this implemented?

bugzilla numbers would be a good place to start.

I doubt there is an open Bug on it. I assume it's in the early "Camp fire " stage of planning.
Edit: Although re-reading the blog entry "but haven’t staffed it very much" looks like maybe things have gone further. But still don't bet on a Bugzilla entry or at least one thats open to the public. "Openness" seems to be a selective thing with Mozilla

Hopefully it can be knocked on the head early before things get stupid (er)
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"

sergio eduardo
Folder@Home

Post Posted May 17th, 2008, 5:34 am

It all sounds very familiar and consistent with new "trends" and misinformed people around . Shit .

steviex

Post Posted May 17th, 2008, 5:44 am

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.

VanillaMozilla

Post Posted May 18th, 2008, 1:39 pm

Sounds like mass hysteria to me. Trust people to fly off the handle like a bunch of nut cases. And trust Mozilla not to have a clue how to deal with the public.

Just once it would be nice if public policy were handled in a rational, informed way.

BenBasson

Post Posted May 18th, 2008, 5:49 pm

So Mozilla may ask users to opt-in to track browsing habits and people may do this. Quick, draw comparisons to Microsoft/Apple/other miscellaneous targets, break out the tinfoil hats and start searching for alternative browsers.

I believe the point being made here by Metalstream is that such a concept could be misinterpreted... well, point proven. Who cares if Mozilla wants to collect data on users that opt-in, presumably by installing an add-on? Doing so is quite a conscious act. What news story is there here? What invasion of privacy is occurring? Who loses?

Even Mozilla don't lose out, nobody's going to give a crap. I bet 90% of Firefox users don't read tech news, and the ones that do probably know how rubbish it is most of the time (or at least, as soon as you approach anything that can be described as mass or mainstream media). Tons of websites have tried to attack Mozilla about various different issues over the years and Firefox's momentum has only increased.

Mozilla have thus far demonstrated their commitment to transparency of process, why would we believe that this "data" project would be anything different? A good example of their transparency is Spectator, which I am currently running - I can see the data it accumulates and sends back to Mozilla.

VanillaMozilla wrote:Sounds like mass hysteria to me. Trust people to fly off the handle like a bunch of nut cases. And trust Mozilla not to have a clue how to deal with the public.

Totally agreed.

At least most people in the comments section of the news article cited are concerned more about the statistical merits of such a system. I personally don't see how a sampling of web page navigation from opt-in users of a single browser can really provide useful data. Worse still, people are going to temporarily opt-out when browsing "certain kinds of site", so the data will be skewed further. All in all, it sounds like a poor idea for those reasons, at least from an advertiser / marketing point of view. From Mozilla's point of view, I imagine the data could be quite useful for improving the browser UI (assuming that clicks / keypresses / navigation methods, etc. are recorded).

Return to MozillaZine Tech