3.0rc2-candidate (build 2) - Manual proxy configuration lost

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
rseiler

3.0rc2-candidate (build 2) - Manual proxy configuration lost

Post by rseiler »

This works in 2.x but doesn't seem to here, so I thought I'd mention it.

In Connection Settings, when I click "Manual proxy configuration" and uncheck "Use this proxy server for all protocols," whatever values I fill into the four slots below (say, SOCKS Host) are forgotten once I click OK.

Note: HTTP Proxy, which is above and not one of the group of four I'm referring to, is not forgotten.

I'm on Vista.
Last edited by rseiler on May 31st, 2008, 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sysKin

Post by sysKin »

This seems to work for me here.
rseiler

Post by rseiler »

Platform?
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

rseiler

Post by rseiler »

Thanks. Prefs.js is there but is not marked read-only. It's also the only Prefs file in the directory. To test it, I made a change to "HTTP Proxy" section in FF (the one that IS sticking) and OK'd out of the dialog. FF updated Prefs.js with the proper information. So I went back into FF and tried adding a Socks Host, OK'd out of it, and Prefs.js wasn't touched--the timestamp didn't change. It's as if it never attempted to write the information.

Back to the KB article, there is no User.js file in my profile, so it's not that.

Finally, I ran it in Safe Mode, and even that didn't help.
sysKin

Post by sysKin »

rseiler wrote:Platform?

Ah, right. WinXP here.

But this is just an internal FF setting like any other, so it definitely shouldn't depend on platform. Something else must be broken. Do you get any error in Error Console?
rseiler

Post by rseiler »

Nothing in the error console either.

Here's something as odd: Just now when I was testing typing something in the SOCKS area, it wouldn't let me type the proxy in the first place. I was clicked on "Manual proxy configuration," so the fields were typable, but it was blocking me from doing it (I was certainly clicked into the right field). I backed out of the dialog and returned and it let me at least type them then, but this still leaves the main issue.

I just tried an install in XP and it worked there.
rseiler

Post by rseiler »

On a lark, I tried renaming prefs.js to prefs.js.bak and ran FF again, and now the settings save. Just looking at the old file now, I'm puzzled by what could possibly be in it that would have caused such a problem. As I mentioned, it's regularly written to and is not read-only. It's not corrupted, since I'm examining it with UltraEdit right now and it looks fine. 145 lines. Is this file susceptible to freak issues?
sysKin

Post by sysKin »

Perhaps.

You could file a bug in bugzilla and attach the file (after checking to be sure it doesn't contain anything private - it shouldn't). Developers could take a look and improve.. whatever there is to improve.
rseiler

Post by rseiler »

I figured I'll just make it available here first:
http://www.divshare.com/download/4658840-6a0

Anyone wanting to try it can just backup their current prefs and copy this one into their profile. You'll see that the four boxes are not saved, and probably by the second or third time you try it you'll see what I mean about how you're sometimes even prevented from typing anything into the boxes. Very odd. BTW, I reproduced this by taking the file and copying it to a different machine (XP).

I looked at the file but don't have the expertise to determine which magical line or lines is causing this.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Make sure that the type of the prefs is correct.
A possible cause is a mix up of String values (with quotes) and Integer or Boolean values (without quotes).