bookmarks - changes lost when Minefield is restarted

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
maladdy

bookmarks - changes lost when Minefield is restarted

Post by maladdy »

Using: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9pre) Gecko/2008060306 Minefield/3.0pre
on XP

Changes to the bookmarks are lost when I shut down Minefield. If I use the backup and save the backup elsewhere, then delete the places file and the backups, copy the 'off-site' backup into the backup directory. All is fine. BUT I have to do that every single time for even one change.

I have Minefield set to clear all personal info at shutdown, which I'll change just to see if that has an effect. I also use CCleaner and use that after being on line, and almost everyday just because.

XP is slow to clear Minefield from the Processes list (shows up as firefox of course). If I close and immediately restart, then I still have the bookmarks. But if sufficient time has passed, other programs run, a system restart, etc., my changes are lost.
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

open up the prefs.js and user.js (in your profile folder) and delete any lines that have settings for [/b]browser.places[/b]. I had the same problem recently and doing that seemed to fix it.
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...
maladdy

Post by maladdy »

First: I did change the settings to NOT clear all info at closing, I DID run CCleaner after closing. This afternoon, the bookmarks seem to have saved and reloaded correctly. (I'm still going to make backups, just in case.)

Second: I double clicked on prefs.js and got this
Line: 1
Char: 1
Error: Invalid character
Code: 800A03F6
Source: Microsoft JScript compilation error

Third: I don't have a user.js file (searched all of ...\Application Data\Mozilla)

So I've got a (somewhat unsatisfactory) fix, and two new problems. :)

Fourth (out of order really): Thanks for your response, especially since it tells me that a couple of things are wrong.
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

It's ok not to have a user.js This is for perminiant settings that the browser can not change.

Double clicking on a JS file will cause Windows to try and run it. DO NOT DO THAT.
Right-click on the file and choose 'open with' or 'edit' and open it up in a text editor. You should then be able to edit the file.

some example lines are this:
user_pref("browser.places.importDefaults", false);
user_pref("browser.places.migratePostDataAnnotations", false);
user_pref("browser.places.smartBookmarksVersion", 1);
user_pref("browser.places.updateRecentTagsUri", false);

Remove any line that has browser.places in it. then save the file and start Firefox.