Print always reverts to "Letter" paper size

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
prandal

Print always reverts to "Letter" paper size

Post by prandal »

Arrgh! We had this one with Mozilla a while ago.

This makes printing Phoenix pretty darned annoying for those of us with old HP LaserJet printers which force manual intervention when the wrong paper size is given.

Phil
prandal

Oops, forgot to say

Post by prandal »

Windows builds over the last week or so. May be an older bug which has shown up after recreating a profile?
spark

Re: Print always reverts to "Letter" paper size

Post by spark »

Some changes to print setup were made this week. Check tomorrows build to see if the problem's still there.

http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=118954
prandal

No, still broken

Post by prandal »

Still broken in the 15th November Windows build.

Selecting Print, then Preinter Properties, shows "Letter" paper size regardless of what the Windows defaults are. Worse still, it ALWAYS reverts to "Letter" paper size. Back to using Mozilla till this is fixed. It worked properly with Phoenix 0.4, by the way.

Phil
spark

Post by spark »

Ok, yeah, confirming Win2K 20021119. Incidentaly, Phoenix seems to crash nicely if i try to print to file... :evil:

-spark
zzzzzz

Printing still reverts to Letter at random times

Post by zzzzzz »

The last reply to this post was ages ago but even with Firebird 0.7 I'm still having problems with this. All our printers herein Australia print in A4 not letter but Friebird seems to revert randomly to Letter whenever it feels like it. It's a real pain to check the paper size in the advanced printing panel *each and every time I print* in case it has done the silly on me again. ](*,)
Is this fixed in the nightlies? Is there any progress on this?
Äkiidoll

Re: Printing still reverts to Letter at random times

Post by Äkiidoll »

zzzzzz wrote:The last reply to this post was ages ago but even with Firebird 0.7 I'm still having problems with this. All our printers herein Australia print in A4 not letter but Friebird seems to revert randomly to Letter whenever it feels like it. It's a real pain to check the paper size in the advanced printing panel *each and every time I print* in case it has done the silly on me again. ](*,)
Is this fixed in the nightlies? Is there any progress on this?

This bug has been re-opened it looks like
Geck0 r0cks
A prisoner of Christ Jesus, by His stripes I was healed
zzzzzz

Re: Printing still reverts to Letter at random times

Post by zzzzzz »

Caetck wrote:This bug has been re-opened it looks like
Geck0 r0cks

I don't think so. The bug you mentioned seems to be more about margins and metric v imperial units. My problem is more that Firebird forgets what paper size I have specified and reverts back to the default (Letter) at random. I don't mind what the default is as long as Firebird remembers that I want something different.
zzzzzz

Post by zzzzzz »

Firefox reverting from user-specified A4 to default Letter paper size is still a problem in Firefox 0.9.3 but I've narrowed it down to when it's most likely to happen: when a webpage specifies a "print this page" feature which calls javascript:window.print() or something similar.
Note that this is not the same as Bug 185920, which is concerned about what happens when the browser is first started.
Anyone? Anyone?
MagicMatt

Post by MagicMatt »

This is still a problem in Firefox 1.0 !!!

I'm running Firefox 1.0 in Windows XP SP2 and we have a networked HP Laserjet 4m printer which requires manual intervention when the paper is set to the wrong size.

Firefox remembers the setting for the rest of the session, but I always have to set it to A4 when I load because it has reverted back to letter.

I've even tried adding this to my about:config, but no effect.

printer.printer_HP_Laserjet_4MP.paper_size A4

also tried

printer.printer_HP_Laserjet_4MP.papersize A4

No effect.
xanthium

Post by xanthium »

Is this bug EVER going to be fixed??

There have been various discussions about the difference between selecting "Print" from the File menu which does select your default printer settings correctly.

i.e. gets the paper size as A4

and when selecting a javascript print function which for some reason selects Letter paper as the default.

None of the printers on this XP box for any user have the paper size set to Letter, so where is Firefox getting the setting from.

If the paper size is modified to A4 once per session then this is retained until the browser is closed.

This behaviour is still present in Firefox 1.0.6 under Windows XP.

None of the modifications to user.js, about:config have any effect at all.

We use a web based email client that uses javascript print functions and if this issue can not be sorted out soon we may well have to resort to using Internet Explorer to avoid jamming up the printer queues!
AnotherGuest.

Post by AnotherGuest. »

I believe there's some progress on it. I haven't got time to read the bug report, but there's supposed to be a workaround for PostScript here: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=118563#c89 . Supposedly you can also change the paper size using the OS. You might also try Deer Park Alpha 2. I could be wrong, but I get the impression that maybe it's fixed in that release.