Installing Flashblock for Camino (suppress Flash ads)

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

JB

Post by JB »

jbzoller wrote:Sorry, JB.

Try re-downloading from the same link above. I modified the file that's there leaving off the last three lines. Overwrite your current copy with this. I hope that does it after a fresh restart of Camino.

Thanks again, jb.
Now I've got my links underlined and no adds also.
I love this forum, as well as all the folks working every day to make Camino a better browser.
The open source aspect of Mac, makes the experience of using my computer, so much fun.
Does everyone know about "MUMenu," or Paradocks?"
MUMenu sits on the menubar and lists, as a pull down menu, the most current downloads from macupdate.com and paradocks which displays the icons on the menubar, of the open applications and not only lets you see and select all the open applications (including browsers), it lets you double click on one, which will banish all of the others from the screen, but not close them. Both of these are freeware.
I'm also getting a lot of mileage from SnapNDrag, another freeware, which lets you screen dump, or partial screen dump, with photos, etc, into any open application, like Mail, for instance, if you want to send the page.

JB
JB =D>
Camino Lives!
Yes Indeed!
nooon

Post by nooon »

so.. Could we please get back on topic?
I find it very interesting that you can actually install some firefox/mozilla-extensions in Camino - and I'd like to find out which other extensions that would work..

Has anyone had any success with other extensions?
Ivan Good

Post by Ivan Good »

Ok guys, I'm new to all this, after reading the forum, and downloading a bunch of files I AM STILL CONFUSED!!!!! :-)

I orginally downloaded the "flashblock.xpi" from mozdev.org, and put it into the userid/Library/Application Support/Camino/chrome/ folder.

Restarted Camino, and NOTHING :-)

The next step is what? Is there a next step?

Next I downloaded the fixed "userContent.css file" file that jbzoller posted (thank you), and put this into the chrome folder along with the flashblock.xpi file.

Restarted Camino, and OK now there are no more flash adds (thank gawd!) :-)

But....

>That’s the nice thing about FlashBlock. It merely suppresses
>autoplay. You can play any Flash content by clicking on it.

I don't seem to be able to do THIS?

Click on what? Any site that USED to have flash adds now have a blank spot, nothing to click on as far as I can see....

I am soooooo confused, any help you guys can offer is GREATLY appreciated!!!

- Ivan
gregk

Post by gregk »

Ivan Good wrote:I orginally downloaded the "flashblock.xpi" from mozdev.org, and put it into the userid/Library/Application Support/Camino/chrome/ folder.

Why’d you do that? Nowhere in my instructions do I say to do that. Go back and read them again.
Ivan Good

Post by Ivan Good »

I said I was confused

>1 Quit Camino
>2 Install the FlashBlock XPI into Mozilla

I don't have Mozilla. I don't want Mozilla. I just want to use Camino with out any FLASH Adds!!!!!!! :-)

- Ivan
nooon

Post by nooon »

What's so hard to understand about this?

1. Quit Camino
2. Install the FlashBlock XPI into Mozilla
3. Find the FlashBlock.jar, copy it to ~/Library/Application Support/Camino/chrome/

When you install the XPI into Firefox/Mozilla, it produces a .jar-file in Mozilla/Firefox's chrome-folder. THIS is the file you need to copy to you Camino-folder, and not the XPI itself.
smorgan
Camino Developer

Post by smorgan »

Ivan Good wrote:I don't have Mozilla. I don't want Mozilla. I just want to use Camino with out any FLASH Adds!

At this point, you are out of luck then. The directions are pretty clear about needing to install it into Mozilla before you can set it up for Camino; you can't alter the instructions at random and expect it to still work.
JB

Post by JB »

smorgan wrote:
Ivan Good wrote:I don't have Mozilla. I don't want Mozilla. I just want to use Camino with out any FLASH Adds!

At this point, you are out of luck then. The directions are pretty clear about needing to install it into Mozilla before you can set it up for Camino; you can't alter the instructions at random and expect it to still work.

Why not try the above listed (see pg. 1):>userContent.css file<

Here are the instructions as pprovided by jbz. It's working for me; as well as Pith Helmet works on safari.

{1. ctrl-click on my the link above for the file and "Download Link Target..."
2. Navigate with the menu to your{user_id}/Library/Application Support/Camino/chrome/ folder.
3. Click "Save."
4. Alternatively, if you already have a userContent.css file in there (i.e., you are asked to overwrite an existing file), then you may just want to download the above file to your desktop and relocate your original before moving this one in to replace it.

HTH,
jbz}

JB
Camino Developer

Post by smorgan »

JB:
Using only the userContent.css file will block flash completely. FlashBlock is intended to block flash by default but allow it to run by clicking on the blocked flash.
neilj

Post by neilj »

Alternative solution:

Rename flashblock.xpi to flashblock.zip. Extract it using Stuffit (or whatever) and you will find the .jar file you need.

Neil
smorgan
Camino Developer

Post by smorgan »

neilj wrote:Alternative solution:

Rename flashblock.xpi to flashblock.zip. Extract it using Stuffit (or whatever) and you will find the .jar file you need.

Will that also allow you to obtain the appropriate chrome.rdf changes?
jbzoller

Post by jbzoller »

Sheesh! This is a lot of fuss! This isn't rocket science. I know, I teach that.

Forget flashblock. I got nothing against the developer, but this really isn't that tough.

If you want to have access to all flash stuff by clicking on it, then just ctrl-click (or right-click) on this and save it as ~/Users/YOU/Library/Application Support/Camino/chrome/userContent.css where YOU is you... your user name, that is. Done.

Alternatively, just click on it to see the code and then you can copy and paste into your userContent.css file. This is also recommended if you have other things in your userContent.css file that you want to keep active.
Listen to these cool songs by Maren Ord!
Life is a Train
Not Today
JB

Post by JB »

jbzoller wrote:Sheesh! This is a lot of fuss! This isn't rocket science. I know, I teach that.

Forget flashblock. I got nothing against the developer, but this really isn't that tough.

If you want to have access to all flash stuff by clicking on it, then just ctrl-click (or right-click) on this and save it as ~/Users/YOU/Library/Application Support/Camino/chrome/userContent.css where YOU is you... your user name, that is. Done.

Alternatively, just click on it to see the code and then you can copy and paste into your userContent.css file. This is also recommended if you have other things in your userContent.css file that you want to keep active.

Thanks again, jb. I've tried both solutions now and prefer your earlier remedy:

>userContent.css file<

which actualy removes the banner.

JB
Camino Lives!
Yes Indeed!
Ivan Good

Post by Ivan Good »

>Thanks again, jb. I've tried both solutions now and prefer
>your earlier remedy:

Yes THANKS jb, works a treat, just what I was looking for (without having to go to Rocket Science School) :-)

- Ivan
valkraider

Post by valkraider »

Will the CSS solution prevent them from being downloaded in the first place, or does it just prevent them from playing? (we can save bandwidth if we don't even download them unless we want them).