[Fx] MMx: latest [Trunk/OS X] (O2 static)

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
MMx2000

[Fx] MMx: latest [Trunk/OS X] (O2 static)

Post by MMx2000 »

Hi everybody,

I built another unofficial nighty from trunk because there are still no trunk nighties for OSX.

I use the same mozconfig as is used for the official nighties, so it really should work everywhere the official ones do. I also included the MacOS 10.2.8-SDK.

here you go:
latest TRUNK builds

Greetings . . . Martin
MMx2000

Post by MMx2000 »

Because time is hard to come by these days, I will be cutting back a little.
Probably only trunk every 2 days or so. So I suggest using this thread for feedback for a while.
Today, I have a fresh one: 2004-06-16-trunk.

Get it while my CPU is still warm from building it ;). (use link above)

Greetings . . . Martin
ssevenup

Post by ssevenup »

Might I suggest that if you create a symlink to the latest build with a generic name then FireFix should work with your builds. I don't fully understand the mechanism that FireFix and CaminoNight use but I think the download part should work anyway.

--MM
Mark Moorcroft
mmoorcroft "at" mail.arc.nasa.gov
MacOSX.4.5
MMx2000

Post by MMx2000 »

may I ask what FireFix is? I have heard of CaminoKnight, but never used it.

But yes, I can make a symlink. Lets call it "firefox-mac-latest-TRUNK.dmg.bz2"
But please download only, if it actually *is* newer than your copy. I don't want to generate unneccessary traffic.

Greetings . . . Martin
Last edited by MMx2000 on June 20th, 2004, 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
ssevenup

Post by ssevenup »

MMx2000 wrote:may I ask what FireFix is? I have heard of CaminoKnight, but never used it.

But yes, I can make a symlink. Lets call it "firefox-mac-latest-TRUNK.dmg.bz2"
But please download only, if it actually *is* newer than your copy. I don't want to generate unneccessary traffic.

Greetings . . . Martin

FireFix and CaminoKnight both automate the downloading of the nightly builds. In theory it can decide if the build available is newer than the last download but I don't know how it works. In either case they rely on a particular URL (file name). They are almost the same code and they look the same. It also appears that since the "official" nightlies are ".gz" that FireFix depends on the file being a gzip. Since your doing a better job with the nightlies it would be nice if they could fix it to support bz2. Until then unless you post a gzip it won't work. I can't test the version testing unless there is a gzip there. Actually I suppose I could play the convert, post, test dance but I'll wait to hear what you want to do. I wish I knew where FireFix retrieves the "release notes" that are part of the information offered.

--MM
jongampark

Post by jongampark »

With June. 16 Trunk, Backward and Forward buttons are disabled.
MMx2000

Post by MMx2000 »

Well, I guess I switch to gzip for a while then. But I would be really happy, if FireFix would support bzip2. It is 1.1Megs of traffic per download that we save because of bzip2.

about the FWD/BACK problem: is it a known bug? Has it been fixed yet? (I guess we will see with the next nighty ;) )

Greetings . . . Martin
ssevenup

Post by ssevenup »

FireFix author is rpenner@hawaii.edu
Mark Moorcroft
mmoorcroft "at" mail.arc.nasa.gov
MacOSX.4.5
rpenner

Post by rpenner »

Hey guys,

I'm the author of FireFix and have been contacted about the possibility to support the MMx builds. I wasn't aware of these builds, but I'm taking a look to see how I can support this. FireFix should in principle be able to handle any download location. I will code the necessary portions to handle bz2 archives. I have a few questions though, since I don't use Firefox myself):

1. Is this going to be a semi-permanent build project (or is this a temporary solution)?
2. Are there any other nightly builds that people might want to see supported?
3. Will the latest version in the trunk folder always be named "firefox-mac-latest-TRUNK.dmg.bz2"? I would prefer that very much. I just checked and there is 06/17 build, whereas the above file is dated 06/16. Please clarify.
4. What's up with the new location of bookmarks (apparently the bookmark location has been moved in 0.9)?

-Reinhold
MMx2000

Post by MMx2000 »

Hi Reinhold,
I heard about your CK (reading Camino maillist) and appreciate your work, although I haven't tried the programs yet. Now that I know that a CK-like program exists for Firefox, I might even try it soon. I lost my profile a few times when testing the AVIARY-builds.
To answer your questions:
1. Im am, as often as I can, "filling the gap". So if there are no branch nighties, I am building branch, if there are no trunk nighties, I am building trunk. A few weeks back I was building both for a while.
So it is not really semi-permanent, but a little more than a temporary solution perhaps. I would like to make really regular builds, but I am missing the hardware for it. I got only a PB G4 12" and take that everywhere I go (pretty much). So builds run over night. If I had a small G4 sitting at one spot, it would build daily.
2. I can't say anything about that. So far I do not know of other unofficial builds for OSX then mine.
3. The whole profile location changed in 0.9. but I think it differs a little from trunk at the moment. :-/ I hope it gets consistent again soon...

So far for now . . . Martin

P.S.: almost forgot that I have a fresh nighty waiting to be downloaded ;)
MMx2000

Post by MMx2000 »

Well, I buit a fresh nighty tonight.
as usual it is availiabe here, the latest trunk build is now here. (For FireFix as soon as Reinhold changed it)

Have fun . . . Martin
In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

MMx2000 wrote:Well, I buit a fresh nighty tonight.
Have fun . . . Martin

I think the "l" key on your keyboard is broken.

:-)
rpenner

Post by rpenner »

I have now a FireFix version that will handle the MMx builds. However, I'm not sure whether I should release it publicly now. The reason is that there are all sorts of issues with Firefox new bookmarks location. I guess I could just put an unofficial FireFix version just for those who don't care whether FireFix backs up their bookmarks. Let me know.

Cheers, -Reinhold
ssevenup

Post by ssevenup »

Reinhold,

Can you just post a link to this thread? It seems to be the home for info on MMx builds.

By the way, how do the release notes work with this build, or are they ommitted? As long as it tracks dates to avoid unnecessary downloads I will be happy.

--MM
rpenner

Post by rpenner »

Okay, here you go. When you run FireFix, make sure you first change the URL in the Prefs tab of FireFix (see Martin's post above for the location). MMx-compatible FireFix can be downloaded here:

http://homepage.mac.com/reinholdpenner/ ... Fix.tar.gz

Let me know if you encounter any problems. Enjoy, -Reinhold