[Update 3rd March] Extension Manager buttons - Firefox

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
Moonwolf

[Update 3rd March] Extension Manager buttons - Firefox

Post by Moonwolf »

EMbuttons: Firefox 1.1.3

Adds toolbar buttons for the extension manager and theme manager, just drag them from the toolbar's customize window.
The buttons have a context menu which allows you to open either manager or the options window.
The options window allows you to choose to open each manager in a window, a tab, or the sidebar.
You can also choose to sort the lists alphabetically.
There is a Concise Mode for the extension manager, which shows only extension names and versions in the extension manager window, allowing more extensions to be seen simultaneously. All functions are still available via the context menu.
Performance Mode complements Concise Mode by removing unnecessary graphics and effects from the extension view, which helps with the performance problems Firefox can cause when the extension manager window is open.
Keyboard shortcuts: Control+Shift+E Extension Manager, Control+Shift+T Theme Manager, Control+Shift+O Options.
The Tools menu items will honour the settings for EMbuttons, and show the keyboard shortcuts.
EMbuttons supports the extension manager's update feature (since 0.11.0).

EMbuttons integrates with POTO Sidebar 0.2 (Extension Manager only). To make the button on POTO Sidebar's toolbar work as expected you should ensure that you have the Extension Manager set to open in the sidebar.
Note: POTO Sidebar 0.2 only works with English locales.

EMbuttons includes Italian (it-IT) localization, maintained by Giuliano Masseroni aka jooliaan.
EMbuttons includes French (fr-FR) localization, maintained by Xavier Robin.
EMbuttons includes Spanish (es-ES) localization, maintained by KariuS (since 1.0.2).
EMbuttons includes German (de-DE) localization, maintained by ReinekeFux (since 1.0.2).

If the keyboard shortcuts don't show on the tools menu or the enhanced display modes don't work you are probably suffering from Firefox's event handler bug. You will need to uninstall then reinstall EMbuttons to move it to the bottom of your extensions list. Please vote for the bug if this happens to you. I've tried to work around this bug again from 1.0.0 - feedback welcomed.

History:
  • 1.1.3 - Fixed: Swapped attribute/property name checking on the manager windows to stop the Theme Manager being titled "Extensions" on Firefox 1.1 nightlies.
  • 1.1.2 - New: Added a chrome.manifest for 1.1 nightlies.
    Fixed: The extension/theme count wasn't added to manager window titles in 1.1 nightlies.
    Fixed: Made changes to the keyboard shortcuts which should make sure they always get applied.
  • 1.1.1 - Fixed: A skin registration error which has been present since the very first release of EMbuttons, and should have stopped the buttons from being displayed. But it worked perfectly until the latest nightlies. Very odd, and thanks to wig_out_on_me for spotting it (it's lucky I don't make any money out of this, or I'd have to start paying you...).
  • 1.1.0 - New: POTO Sidebar 0.2 integration. EMbuttons puts an Extension Manager button on the POTO toolbar and it will be correctly remembered as the last displayed sidebar. Note: POTO Sidebar currently only works with English locales.
    Changed: The "Get More Extensions" link is no longer automatically hidden in Concise Mode, just when the Extension Manager is displayed in the sidebar.
    Fixed: Found another harmless JavaScript warning.
  • 1.0.2 - Changed: Tweaked the event handler bug workaround to speed up the rendering of the manager display a little.
    New: Spanish (es-ES) localization. Thanks to KariuS.
    New: German (de-DE) localization. Thanks to ReinekeFux.
  • 1.0.1 - Fixed: The new event handler bug fix caused the extension/theme count to show twice when the manager was displayed in a window.
  • 1.0.0 - Changed: Updated for Firefox 1.0.
    Fixed(?): Trying another method to work around the Firefox event handler bug.
  • 0.12.6 - Fixed: A common chrome registration error which would have broken EMbuttons under localized Firefox releases.
    Fixed: Typo in the French localization.
  • 0.12.5 - Fixed: Adjusted the tab checking to make EMbuttons recognise and focus a manager previously opened via a bookmark, link or typed URL.
    Fixed: Removed a couple of harmless JavaScript warnings and some redundant code.
  • 0.12.4 - Changed: Improved the button icons (resized them in Photoshop instead of Paint Shop Pro) and gave them mouseover images to fit better with the default theme.
    Changed: Refined the error checking for Concise Mode to improve the way it deals with Firefox's Safe Mode default preferences bug.
    Changed: Stripped all remaining code for showing one of the obsolete small icons in Concise Mode.
    Changed: Did a little more code tidying and variable renaming.
  • 0.12.3 - New: French localization. Thanks to Xavier Robin.
    Changed: Altered the names of functions and global variables to reduce the likelihood of clashes with other extensions.
  • 0.12.2 - Fixed: Removed the UI for displaying one of the mini extension buttons in Concise Mode. They don't exist in the Firefox 1.0PRrc so it's unlikely they'll be back in 1.0. Because this reduces functionality under 0.9.x, EMbuttons 0.12.2 and later will not be offered as an update for 0.9 users using the extension manager's update function. However it will still install and work if you get it from the link above or the website. If a later version fails to work on 0.9.x I will not be fixing it.
    Changed: The new "Options" button is no longer automatically hidden in Concise Mode. Instead it is hidden whenever the extension manager is displayed in the sidebar.
  • 0.12.1 - Fixed: I forgot to allow for the fact that the new button only exists in the latest nightlies and partially broke the enhanced display modes for everything else. Thanks to jooliaan for reporting the bug.
  • 0.12.0 - New: Concise Mode now hides the "Options" button introduced in Firefox 1.0PR nightlies.
    Note: The buttons shown for each extension have been removed from the nightlies. I will remove the UI for displaying one of these in Concise Mode if they have not returned by Firefox 1.0 final.
  • 0.11.2 - Fixed: The 0.11.1 alteration made the dropdown menus change width when you selected an option.
  • 0.11.1 - To allow testing of the update feature this release was not announced.
    Fixed: Italian locale is now finished. Thanks to jooliaan.
    Changed: Made a small change to the dropdown menus in the options dialogue which might help to make sure options are not truncated.
  • 0.11.0 - New: Option to display one of the extension buttons (About, Homepage, Options) in Concise Mode.
    Changed: Redesigned the Options dialogue.
    New: Automatic updating is enabled. To test it I've released 0.11.0 with an unfinished Italian locale, and will release 0.11.1 with jooliaan's finished version in a day or two. I will ask everyone to try the EM's update feature rather than download from here. To encourage this I'll use a different filename format and won't reveal the URL.
  • 0.10.5 - Fixed: Sorting and counting now work together and at a reasonable speed. Global extensions and themes should also be sorted and counted.
    Fixed(?): Made an attempt to work around the Firefox event handler bug by adding dummy event listeners.
  • 0.10.4 - Fixed: Sorting didn't work. The new sort routine is very slow, but allows an accurate count and doesn't mess up extension/theme indexing anymore, which might have caused problems in the future.
    Fixed: Globally installed extensions and themes are no longer written to the profile's extensions.rdf - This means that they do not get sorted or counted anymore. It also means sorting makes no permanent changes and is completely safe for extensions now. To see your extensions/themes in their installation/loading order disable sorting and restart Firefox.
    Fixed: Opening and closing multiple managers rapidly with sorting enabled could cause a profile-mangling crash. Incorporated wig_out_on_me's fix for the crash, but I still don't recommend clicking the buttons fast for fun! Even if there's a crash now there shouldn't be any profile damage because EMbuttons no longer writes the sorted lists to disk (see above).
  • 0.10.3 - Fixed: The new count method uncovered a bug in the sort routine which made the count increase by the true number of extensions/themes each time the manager was opened.
    New: Italian (it-IT) localization. Thanks to jooliaan.
  • 0.10.2 - Fixed: Improved count method, counts for extensions and themes are both accurate. DOM Inspector does not count as an extension, so if it's listed your count will be one too low. Thanks to wig_out_on_me.
  • 0.10.1 - Fixed: Broken sort caused by coding while tired (sorry)!
    Changed: The count routine now gives a correct count for extensions, but seems to add one if you have the default theme listed.
  • 0.10.0 - New: Extension and theme counts in the window/tab/sidebar title (note that the DOM Inspector does not seem to count as an extension, so the count will be one less if you have it installed).
  • 0.9.0 - New: The "Extensions" and "Themes" items on the "Tools" menu show the EMbuttons keyboard shortcuts (Firefox bug 174320 permitting).
    Fixed: The Extension Manager was blank with the default theme under OS X.
  • 0.8.1 - Fixed: Added a workaround for a bug in Firefox which sometimes prevents the default preferences from being read, resulting in no manager being opened.
  • 0.8.0 - New: Performance mode for extensions. Applies asqueella's performance patch, reducing the graphics displayed in the extension manager window for a speed-up.
    Changed: The "Get More Extensions" link is hidden in Concise Mode, making the EM fit into the sidebar better. Requested by Rowne Mastaile.
    Fixed: The window resizer showed in tabbed and sidebar managers, making it possible to resize the Firefox window when it was maximized! It's now hidden completely (the manager window can still be sized by dragging an edge or corner).
  • 0.7.0 - New: Concise mode for extensions. Removes everything but names and versions from the extensions list. Thanks to wig_out_on_me (again!) and asqueella for the CSS that it's based on.
  • 0.6.1 - Fixed: First use problems in some circumstances (added a default prefs file).
    This also means the preferences will be deleted if EMbuttons is uninstalled.
  • 0.6.0 - New: Separate options for sorting extensions or themes.
    Changed: To avoid problems like the one fixed in 0.5.4, no external locale files are used.
    Changed: The hotkey modifiers and menu access keys can be localized.
  • 0.5.4 - Fixed: Locale error affecting nightly builds. Thanks to wig_out_on_me.
  • 0.5.3 - Fixed: The sort routine is no longer case sensitive. Thanks to Torisugari.
  • 0.5.2 - Changed (irrelevant to most users): All strings can now be localized, including the hotkeys.
  • 0.5.1 - New: Manager tabs have icons.
    Changed: Keyboard shortcuts are now Control+Shift+E, Control+Shift+T and Control+Shift+O, and are indicated in the context menu.
    Changed: The menu checkmarks weren't behaving properly whatever I tried, so I removed them (they were unintended, anyway).
  • 0.5.0 - New: Manager tabs have a name instead of a URL.
    Fixed: An existing Manager tab will be focused when its button is clicked.
    Both thanks to Timothy P. Wolfe, for pointing me to QuickNote, and Jed Brown for writing it!
  • 0.4.0 - Fixed: Dragging an XPI onto a tab or sidebar Extension Manager opened a new EM window. This is broken again since Firefox 0.9.3.
    Fixed: The homepage!
    Half fixed: Multiple tabs are no longer possible, but the existing one still isn't focused.
    New: The Tools menu honours the EMbuttons settings.
    New: Keyboard shortcuts (ALT-E and ALT-M). Thanks to Rowne Mastaile.
    New: Context menus. Adapted from originals by Rowne Mastaile.
  • 0.3.0 - New: The buttons will toggle the matching sidebar.
  • 0.2.3 - Fixed: The homepage points to the correct site (oops!). The options dialogue is tidier.
  • 0.2.2 - Fixed: The managers should now appear for everybody. Thanks to wig_out_on_me for tracking down the error.
  • 0.2.1 - Fixed: Tabbed managers now always get the focus. Thanks to TheOneKEA.
  • 0.2 - New: The themes list will also be sorted if Alphabetical sort is selected.

Home page - includes the Thunderbird version and my Easy Get Mail Button for Thunderbird.
Last edited by Moonwolf on March 3rd, 2005, 5:46 am, edited 68 times in total.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050223 Firefox/1.0.1
Thunderbird 1.0 (20041206)
EMbuttons: Buttons & options for the Extension Manager. Easy Get Mail Button is here too.
sboulema

Post by sboulema »

banjobacon!

Post by banjobacon! »

Not working for me. It installs, but I get no extra buttons. It also ignores the settings and always opens in a new window.

Using 0.9.1 on Linux.
Moonwolf

Post by Moonwolf »

The buttons need to be dragged to the toolbar from the customize palette. The settings only change what the buttons do, I haven't messed with the Tools menu behaviour.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050223 Firefox/1.0.1
EMbuttons: Buttons & options for the Extension Manager. Easy Get Mail Button is here too.
Rowne Mastaile
Location: Housed in a swirling neosma of scintillating thought and turgid ideas.

Post by Rowne Mastaile »

I tried it. I can find the button (context-menu on toolbar > customize) and I can add it but when I click it, absolutely nothing happens, I think something is conflicting with it. I'll disable everything a bit later to test.

I've also tried different behaviours, then clicked it like crazy and nothing happens.

So... my money's on a conflict, I'll take a peek soon.
Old Bozz

Post by Old Bozz »

Awesome. Now I've been able to get rid of the Tools menu again. I placed the button in the Navigation toolbar, which I hide also, and only need to show that bar if I want to make some changes. Thanks!

Roan Foofitush, I had the same problem at first. I opened EMbuttons in the Extension Manager and changed it to open in Tabs. May be a conflict with TBP that I have.
tico

Post by tico »

It doesn't work for me too. The buttons are there, I click them and...nothing.
mallrat4

Post by mallrat4 »

i like it... very nice...well done! putting all the options at the bottom right side...looking good! thanks bud!
Paradox52525

Post by Paradox52525 »

Same problem here. The buttons get added, but regardless of settings they don't do anything. No JS console errors either, not sure what the problem is.
banjobacon!

Post by banjobacon! »

Moonwolf wrote:The buttons need to be dragged to the toolbar from the customize palette.

Oh, I misunderstood. I thought buttons were added to the manager, like the Download Manager Tweaks Extension does. My mistake.
Moonwolf

Post by Moonwolf »

Not sure why it's not working for some people.
Do you have any extensions installed which could be intercepting the creation of the window/tab/sidebar in some way? (I have Tabbrowser Preferences 0.5.18, so that's unlikely to be the culprit.)
I'm using inbuilt functions to create the tab and sidebar, and code lifted from the inbuilt extension manager window function for the windows, so other than an interception I don't see what could be happening.
tombik

Post by tombik »

If buttons don´t work: Standard is "open in window". This seems to conflict with TBE. Change in properties to "open in tab" and then buttons are working.
BIG BIG thanks for this extension. A must have for me..iI´m not a friend of the new EM and TM, espacially the new windows which they open.
But now it´s nice!!!

Tombik
mallrat4

Post by mallrat4 »

if u want to open window.....external must be use new window (open window) not tab......i use tab pref. tab is ok too wide....and sidebar suxs cutoff. so glad im able to click any in open window like normal.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

tombik wrote:If buttons don´t work: Standard is "open in window". This seems to conflict with TBE. Change in properties to "open in tab" and then buttons are working.
BIG BIG thanks for this extension. A must have for me..iI´m not a friend of the new EM and TM, espacially the new windows which they open.
But now it´s nice!!!

Tombik

Not even making that change worked for me--and I only get one button, for extensions.
Moonwolf

Post by Moonwolf »

John, delete XUL.mfl from your profile. There must be some sort of corruption for only one of the buttons to show up. If that doesn't work, try reinstalling.

I've just updated to 0.2, themes now get sorted as well (see the first post or my sig to download). It will probably take a few hours for all the mirrors to get it.