IE Favorites Converter

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
Torisugari

IE Favorites Converter

Post by Torisugari »

Favorites Converter
This extension helps you to import/export IE Favorites seamlessly.

1. Bookmarks -> Favorites (export)

ver. 1.0
http://cgi29.plala.or.jp/~mozzarel/addo ... ktofav.xpi

2. Favorites -> Bookmarks (import)

ver. 1.1
http://cgi29.plala.or.jp/~mozzarel/addo ... tobook.xpi

Required
Windows(and IE)
Firefox 0.9~

Step 1.
Go to Tools > Extensions > Favorites Converter > Options
Then select bookmarks folder and favorites folder.

Step 2.
Bookmarks > Favorites Converter > Export

Step 3.
Confirm your favorites with IE.
Last edited by Torisugari on July 30th, 2004, 3:58 am, edited 4 times in total.
Torisugari

Post by Torisugari »

Added import feature.
GrailKnight

Bookmark Exporter

Post by GrailKnight »

Did not work for me.
Tried it 3x.
Uninstalled it.
"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact". - Sherlock Holmes
Dave88

Post by Dave88 »

Cool thanks Torisugari very handy extension.

Didn't have any problems with it worked first time, though I did delete my existing imported favourites beforehand.

Edit: Spoke too soon, on further inspection some links in folders in my favourites were not imported and it seems to almost ignore the contents of a specific Mozilla related folder I keep in my favourites, also the default links/folders Firefox creates on install were present on and after the import but after restarting the browser were gone.
Torisugari

Re: Bookmark Exporter

Post by Torisugari »

Thanks.

GrailKnight wrote:Did not work for me.
Tried it 3x.
Uninstalled it.

Are you sure? This extension exports IE shortcuts silently.

Dave88 wrote:Spoke too soon, on further inspection some links in folders in my favourites were not imported

Oh. Could you copy&paste that shortcut here?

it seems to almost ignore the contents of a specific Mozilla related folder I keep in my favourites, also the default links/folders Firefox creates on install were present on and after the import but after restarting the browser were gone.

Did you set the path/folder correctly? Firefox can't detect speciall bookmark folders.
GrailKnight

Path was correct.

Post by GrailKnight »

I really did try to get this to work.
Checked my paths and that was set up fine.
The extension did not harm anything, it just did not export or import anything.
I looked everywhere.
Great concept though.
"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact". - Sherlock Holmes
Dave88

Post by Dave88 »

I don't know why it didn't work right, t'was all a bit weird. I checked my links which I have quite a few of and didn't see any strange symbols which might throw a spanner in the works.

The strange thing is that the manual IE->export - FX->Import method works fine and everything is brought over. I'll double check my links and try it a few more times to see if I can get it to work 100%.
mrborisguy

a bug/a solution

Post by mrborisguy »

i downloaded this extension because it looked pretty much exactly like what i wanted to do in an extension. and it does do pretty much exactly what i want to do, so i will probably modify it and use it.
anyway, GOOD WORK! i like it alot. the problem i noticed is, i think, the same problem everybody else is noticing... for some reason it doesn't import all of the shortcuts all of the time. i looked into it a bit and i noticed that my links that weren't importing all had the extension .URL (as opposed to .url). the fix to this would be to test for .url case insensitively... simple fix, add i behind your find and replace regexs, like so:

Code: Select all

else if(name.match(/\.url$/im))
        {
        try{
                name=name.replace(/\.url$/im,"");
Dave88

Post by Dave88 »

mrborisguy I think your right I could never figure out what it was till you pointed it out and I checked the folders+links that didn't import and they had .URL's in them.

Though I couldn't test it out as as you can't rename .URL to .url in Windows for some reason unless I'm missing something obvious the Internet Shortcuts seem to disregard the show file type extension function. And I haven't a clue on how to go about including your code in Torisugari's extension.
Robert S.

Post by Robert S. »

Dave88 - rename it to another extension (e.g. .ur ) then to .url... Windows is not case sensitive so it is complaining that you are trying to rename it to the same name.
Dave88

Post by Dave88 »

Thanks for the tip wig_out_on_me but the problem was that Windows wasn't exposing the .url so no matter what I tried to rename the links as for example yahoo.url would just become yahoo.txt.url and still remain an internet shortcut.

I got past it by going to the command prompt and renaming the .url from their I've got a good few links to work through before I can try the import again.
Robert S.

Post by Robert S. »

You probably have Windows configured to hide extensions for known file types... that can be set when viewing a folder... tools - folder options - view... uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"... of course it can be done from the command prompt as you found.

BTW: you can also do a rename *.url *.url from a command prompt to rename all the ones in a single directory... there may be a way to do it recursively as well.
Dave88

Post by Dave88 »

I actually already had "Hide extensions for known file types" checked that's what was originally puzzling me. Still its slow going but I'm getting their renaming the links.
Robert S.

Post by Robert S. »

Dave88 wrote:I actually already had "Hide extensions for known file types" checked

If you <b>already</b> had it checked then you wouldn't see the extension as I said.

If you want to speed it up you can use the rename command as I suggested. You should only have to run it once per directory
Torisugari

Re: a bug/a solution

Post by Torisugari »

mrborisguy wrote: the problem i noticed is, i think, the same problem everybody else is noticing... for some reason it doesn't import all of the shortcuts all of the time. i looked into it a bit and i noticed that my links that weren't importing all had the extension .URL (as opposed to .url). the fix to this would be to test for .url case insensitively... simple fix, add i behind your find and replace regexs, like so:

Code: Select all

else if(name.match(/\.url$/im))
        {
        try{
                name=name.replace(/\.url$/im,"");

You are right, definitely... Fixed and added your name to the contributors list. Thanks a lot.
Ver. 1.1
http://cgi29.plala.or.jp/mozzarel/addon ... ook1_1.xpi