MozillaZine

Digital Certificates

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
Parsa

Post Posted April 21st, 2003, 10:16 am

I have a certificate from Thawte that I used Mozilla 1.3 to get and use with. I would like to install that certificate in Thunderbird now. I have used Phoenix to fetch the certificate from Thawte but when I go to Tools, Account Settings, Security and try and select a certificate I get a message saying no certificates are available.

How do I get my certificate into Thunderbird?

Thanks,
J

Rassi

Post Posted April 23rd, 2003, 6:24 am

I have the exact same problem. April 9th build on Win XP pro.

A friend of mine apparently got his certificates imported automatically when he first ran Thunderbird. It seems like it got imported from his Outlook Express settings, but I haven't been able to get Tbird to get mine from Outlook XP.

~Rassi

XandreX

Post Posted April 23rd, 2003, 3:07 pm

Parsa wrote:I have a certificate from Thawte that I used Mozilla 1.3 to get and use with. I would like to install that certificate in Thunderbird now. I have used Phoenix to fetch the certificate from Thawte but when I go to Tools, Account Settings, Security and try and select a certificate I get a message saying no certificates are available.
There was no reason for that to work. When you got your certificate from thawte, it was imported in the Phoenix certificate store. You have to export the certificate to a *.p12, and re-import it in Thunderbird. Now, I use Phoenix0.5, I never managed to find out where is the certificate manager, so for eTrust matters I use Moz1.3.

Remember that every application you use has its own certificate store, except the Microsoft applications (Office, Outlook, MSOE...) that share the same certificate store (located in the registry). It is convenient to store your *.p12 file on a floppy disk, or any amovible media, since it contains your certificate AND its private key.
XandreX
I'm the kind of people your parents warned you about

cactusdave

Post Posted May 21st, 2003, 9:16 pm

To open the certificate manager and add digital certificates, run the following on the command line (Win32):

thunderbird.exe -chrome chrome://pippki/content/certManager.xul

I believe the same command line options should work on other platforms as well.

Dave

Rassi

Post Posted May 26th, 2003, 2:19 am

cactusdave wrote:To open the certificate manager and add digital certificates, run the following on the command line (Win32):

thunderbird.exe -chrome chrome://pippki/content/certManager.xul

I couldn't get this to work on the may 15th build (windows xp pro sp1). Tried the may 21st build, and still no go.

I did get Firebird to give me a certificate manager using the same parameter:
Code: Select all
MozillaFirebird.exe -chrome chrome://pippki/content/certManager.xul

What I did get working, was a manual transfer of my e-mail certificate (Thawte) from FB to TB, by copying key3.db and cert8.db from my FB profile dir into the TB profile dir.

A small annoyance though, is the lack of saving the certificate password, and thus having to type it everytime you send a signed mail. (Found out that it saves the password on a per session basis, but you still need to type it the first time you send a mail)
~Rassi

cactusdave

Post Posted May 28th, 2003, 9:50 pm

I tried it again on the new May 27 build and it worked...

One thing I did notice though is that Thunderbird must be already open first.

Rassi

Post Posted May 29th, 2003, 12:24 am

cactusdave wrote:One thing I did notice though is that Thunderbird must be already open first.

Ahh, that was the missing link. Got it working too now.
~Rassi

brewthatistrue

Post Posted August 8th, 2003, 12:39 pm

cactusdave wrote:I tried it again on the new May 27 build and it worked...

One thing I did notice though is that Thunderbird must be already open first.

i got it working with Mozilla Thunderbird 0.1 (20030723)

it didn't have to be open in the first place, but i noticed if i manually chose which profile i wanted to use, it didn't work, so i used this to choose the profile automatically:

"C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\ThunderbirdRC0.1\thunderbird.exe" -p default -chrome chrome://pippki/content/certManager.xul

Return to Thunderbird General