Mozilla Firefox Switch Site

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
japerry

Mozilla Firefox Switch Site

Post by japerry »

The past few days have been quite interesting, with all the Articles about how IE's security sucks coming out into the world.

So I decided that it'd be cool to have a Firefox Marketing site.. a Switch site, somewhat like Apple's Switch site

http://www.switch2firefox.com/

Yes it does look similar to Apple's site, but if you take a look, all the code is different. Instead of the Tables and HTML Apple uses, the Firefox Switch site is done in 100% valid CSS/XHTML ...

I'd love to hear any comments about the sites. Most of the grammatical and functional issues have been tackled, but since half of my work on this page was done from 2am - 5am, there are probably more.

Thanks!
Jakob Perry
Last edited by japerry on July 13th, 2004, 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
CeleronXL

Post by CeleronXL »

I think that it's an awesome idea and the site looks great. :D Good job! :)
Iced Earth

Post by Iced Earth »

That is very cool great job on the site. There should be a link to that site on the main mozilla page because it could be helpfully in getting people to switch.
Firefox 1.0RC1 [20041026]
Thunderbird 0.9 [20041103]
Ubuntu Linux
CeleronXL

Post by CeleronXL »

The extensions link on #10 of this page should link to update.mozilla.org. :)

The Thunderbird link on #4 on this page needs to be fixed (typo)

On this page, I have no idea what the second sentence should be, I just assume it's a typo. ("Some spend time Firefox so they can provide balanced coverage, only to discover that they prefer Firefox.")

This is such a good, useful site. I'd like to see it hosted officially at mozilla.org/switch/ :)
skyhopper88

Post by skyhopper88 »

CeleronXL wrote:This is such a good, useful site. I'd like to see it hosted officially at mozilla.org/switch/ :)

I second that :P

Edit: I sent in my firefox story. Mozilla would be doing a good thing adopting this idea, I can't wait to see how this thing could grow. Maybe adding descriptions and "walkthroughs" for the best extensions. This could be the "newbie's" foot in the door.
Last edited by skyhopper88 on July 8th, 2004, 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rfrangioni77

Post by rfrangioni77 »

japerry, that is simply outstanding. Fantastic job on the design, nice and clean, and uber-informative.

I third CeleronXL...that should be an official Mozilla page. If you need or desire any more testimonials for the site, please let me know, I'd be happy to write one up for you.

Again, kudos.
CeleronXL

Post by CeleronXL »

Hmm, you have a bunch of pictures from the old site that use Phoenix screenshots. O_o

That's probably obvious, but I think this thread deserves a little more publicity than third page. So this post is more or less a bump. :)

/stories/ isn't valid XHTML. http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1 ... h/stories/
Linux4Life

Post by Linux4Life »

Nice site indeed!
Kerry is BinLaden's Man / Bush is Mine
japerry

Post by japerry »

Alrighty, so momentum is picking up on the site. I've already had an offer to translate it into spanish.
Heh, Stories DID validate, but I made a change. I made it validate again.
And yes, if anyone who has stories about switching, please send them! (Pictures to if you'd like)....
I'm working on adding an E-mail form as well as some walkthroughs, however I think I may end up linking to someone who has done a wonderful walkthrough for firefox....
TheOneKEA

Post by TheOneKEA »

That site is gorgeous.

I'd be mindful though of redistributing Shockwave and Java, you might get in trouble for that. If you intend on doing it long-term I'd go talk to somebody at Sun or Macromedia to see if it's OK. Wouldn't want that lovely site to get shut down for such an avoidable reason :-P
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire
Registered Linux User #289618
AnimeUSA

Post by AnimeUSA »

Hey this site is a great idea. I hope it grows so Mozilla.org could link to it.
Foxtrot

Post by Foxtrot »

):D Time to be picky:
Generally the site is great. However, I was able to find some small things that I wish you'd change.

Rollovers for the menu would be really helpful. The way it is it fits in smoothly, but at first glance I didn't think it was a menu. Rollovers would help make it more menu-ish.
I think you should use a newer review of Firefox on the main page than the one you're currently using, which was a review of Firebird from forbes.com. I would recommend using <a href="http://www.madpenguin.org/cms/html/47/1695.html">this review</a> at MadPenguin, and quote them on this: "When compared to browsers such as Internet Explorer, Firefox is light years ahead."
Also, I think that you're using images rather than text where it isn't necessary. As I recall, it is recommended to use header tags like H1 instead. This will score better on search engines, etc.

I'd just like to add that I really like the site. Don't misunderstand. I just want to contribute in the way I can, which is by being generally annoying. :)

Congratulations on making such an awesome site!
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." -Douglas Adams
japerry

Post by japerry »

Foxtrot wrote:):D Time to be picky:
Generally the site is great. However, I was able to find some small things that I wish you'd change.

Thats exactly what I wanted. Sure compliments make me feel good and all, but they don't do much to making things better. I know its not perfect yet, so I'm working on the excellent suggestions that everyone is giving me.
In response to the image for headers part, I'll admit that I started designing this new page to be like the apple switch page (as noted in my first post)... As I went on with my design, I started shying away from many of their mistakes. However, the headers on the front page was one of the first things I worked on. I'll be removing the images today not only because they aren't standard anymore, but it makes it harder for translation.

I'll switch out the reviews... (Mad penguin is in there, but you're right, it should be on the front page)
I can also use CSS to make the menus rollover. I'll try to get to this tonight.

thanks for being picky, and double thanks for being picky in a supportive way!
Kitchel

Post by Kitchel »

Very Nice, Way to go!!!
tomdkat

Post by tomdkat »

Very cool site, but I have these comments to make:

*) 3. Do all websites work with firefox?
"internet explorer" in sentence #3 should have caps 'I' and 'E', as it's used throughout the rest of the page.

This section should also mention incompatibilities with sites coded using "old" and possibly error-prone HTML. The tech evangelism bug reports I've opened aren't for sites that block Mozilla but that either don't render correctly or don't function correctly.

Lastly, using IE as an alternative for sites Firefox has problems with won't be an option for Linux/Unix users so maybe recommending Opera or tweaking the wording a bit to accomodate non-Windows users might be prudent. Change, "f its a specialized website that you need access to, you'll have to use Internet Explorer." to "f its a specialized website that you need access to, you'll have to use Internet Explorer or another browser that is compatible with your computing platform.

*) 9. What platforms is Firefox available on?

Mozilla also runs on Solaris and other Unix platforms and can be built from source. Pre-built binaries are supplied for the platforms currently mentioned but binaries for Solaris (SPARC) have been contributed and are available for download as well.

Peace...