TB: missing source file? How to trace the functionality?

Discuss building things with or for the Mozilla Platform.
chconnor

TB: missing source file? How to trace the functionality?

Post by chconnor »

Hi! I'm working on my first-ever TB patch, so be gentle. :-) [is this the best place for this question?]

I hg'd the source, I build TB, and it runs (fine, as far as I can tell.) I went to start making changes to the code, but the file I wanted to edit is missing.

I found what I thought was the file to edit via dxr.mozilla.org. Specifically, it is comm-central/comm/mail/base/content/glodaFacetBindings.xml

I see that in the current tip at hg.mozilla.org there is no glodaFacetBindings.xml, so I guess that maybe it is no longer a current file (AFAICT it's last update was a couple years ago, so maybe it has been removed?)

That's fine, but I can't figure out where that functionality has gone. Specifically I'm looking for the code that handles the drop-down menu that chooses the sort-by for search results: "date" vs "relevance" (the div class is "results-message-sort-bar").

For example, here is the glodaFaceBindings.xml line that handles when "relevance" is chosen. No matter how I search, I can't seem to dig up the new location of that functionality. (I've been searching using dxr.mozilla.org, as well as searching through my local source tree.) I've been using things like "results-message-sort-bar" and "sortBy" and "FacetContext.sortBy" as search terms, as they are the relevant (and current) hooks, AFAIK, that the missing functionality ties in to.

Any help? Thanks!
frg

Re: TB: missing source file? How to trace the functionality?

Post by frg »

dxr is on mozillas "do not care" list. comm-central is broken for ages now. I usually use comm-release which seems to be updated now and then. The file you try to edit is probably an xbl binding. This has been completely removed by mozilla and the TB devs after esr 60.

Searchfox is supposed to be the greatest replacemnnt of all time for dxr but the interface lacks and the blame function is attrocious:
https://searchfox.org/comm-central/source

But at least it is up to date.

TB development discussions moved from moznet maildev to matrix. Closed doors but getting an account to access it should be easy. Only SeaMonkey stayed on irc freenet.

FRG
frg

Post by frg »

Checking the file in hg history it seems was removed in :

Bug 1517523 - Migrate results-message binding to custom element. r=mkmelin

Functionality is now supposed to be in mail/base/content/glodaFacet.js
chconnor

Post by chconnor »

Thanks! I will explore further!

To be clear, when you say "comm-central is broken for ages now" you mean on dxr, right? comm-central is still the proper hg repo for the tip of TB development, right?
chconnor

Post by chconnor »

Also: patch submitted; hopefully I didn't mess it up too much: https://phabricator.services.mozilla.com/D74731