Seamonkey 2.53.14

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
bigjeff66

Seamonkey 2.53.14

Post by bigjeff66 »

I have been using SeaMonkey since the beginning and Netscape before that. I have been noticing a lot lately that I get browser no longer supported and or nothing will show up in the window. If I switch to Firefox the site will work. I did a complete new install of 2.53.14 when it came wiped my system and started new, as every one said older versions files maybe causing trouble. Since Seamonkey is supposed to be like Firefox why don't the work the same? Even if seamonkey identifies as Firefox same problem.
Thanks
TPR75

Re: Seamonkey 2.53.14

Post by TPR75 »

bigjeff66 wrote:Since Seamonkey is supposed to be like Firefox why don't the work the same?
SeaMonkey never was supposed to be like Firefox. It uses the same Gecko engine. Problem is that latest Firefox is using far newer version than SeaMonkey. There are too few developers to keep SeaMonkey "in close distance" with latest Firefox... or actually with latest Google Chrome (Chromium) because most "big" websites do not care for browser other than Chrome.

Some problems can be solved with fake User Agent workaround. Some can't be solved until SeaMonkey will get new functions.

For some websites users must switch to other browser (e.g. Firefox).
--
DerVVulfman

Post by DerVVulfman »

That doesn't sound altogether inspiring. When I began using Seamonkey, it was actually the original 'Mozilla' browser... the original Mozilla browser. Firefox appeared later while Mozilla continued and then became Seamonkey in its current form with the same eMail support and HTML editor it has since years past. And I have been a user for well over a decade.

I would rather not lose the features and advantages of Seamonkey and would prefer that the support be remedied.

Likewise, I would rather not switch to another browser such as Edge (gahhh--*).
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

DerVVulfman wrote:I would rather not...........would prefer..........
Likewise, I would rather not....
Sometimes, you can not get what you would rather or prefer in life.

SeaMonkey, even as it is, is far better than Firefox. Then again, Firefox has made far, far more money, thanks to its deals with Google, than SeaMonkey ever will.

Guess which one can afford to hire and employ developers?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)