Changing folders icons in new Thunderbird

Discussion of features in Mozilla Thunderbird
Thunderchild128

Re: Changing folders icons in new Thunderbird

Post by Thunderchild128 »

Well I give up, as far as I am concerned this is a step backwards, there are so many little things in thunderbird that could be improved or needed a little working on and nothing, instead with got these horrible icons like any change must be good. Maybe when I get my ADHD medication it will be easier for me to find what I want in my lists of folders in 8 email addresses that right now all need a really good looking at to find anything as they all look the same.
post2forum

Post by post2forum »

morat wrote:I'm using the userChrome.css file to revert the changes. If you wish to try the style, then you would need to download the following images to the chrome folder.
Thanks morat, your style works for me in Thunderbird 78.2.2. I created a chrome directory in my profile directory that contains userChrome.css, folder.png, rss-feed.png, rss-feed-folder.png, server.png. Then in Thunderbird I set toolkit.legacyUserProfileCustomizations.stylesheets true and restarted and it worked.
Thunderchild128

where in the user directory should the chrome folder be? I searched the directory and found one several levels down and used it, should the directory be in the "root" profile folder?
post2forum

Post by post2forum »

It's going to look like this AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\(random data).default\chrome
Thunderchild128

OK, that's possibly the problem, I have AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\hb47712b.default-release\chrome but I thought that was the profile I was using (I never set and of this it just is). There is also the default only profile but would that work if I use the other one?
Thunderchild128

Right, got it working, the chrome folder was not in the right location. Well done to the bright spark that thought that one up! Icons now restored until the next stupid idea some bright spark has!
post2forum

Post by post2forum »

Sorry, I don't know the answer to that and I am about to go to sleep. If you have more than one directory in Profiles then it could be any of them. I suggest do what was suggested earlier and go to Help > Troubleshooting Information > Profile Folder > Open Folder

that will show the profile folder actually being used by thunderbird. best of luck!
Thunderchild128

Yes the profile was not the problem, there are or can be more than one chrome folder, I found one and used it but it was in the wrong location. I created one under the root profile folder and it worked so now I have two chrome folders.
morat

Post by morat »

@Thunderchild128

I use the portable version so I don't know much about the dedicated profiles.

More about default-release profile
http://support.mozilla.org/questions/1264072

Grayscale icons is a bad trend by the UX people. (UX stands for User Experience)

What is the reasoning behind grayscale icons?
http://ux.stackexchange.com/questions/6210
Thunderchild128

Hint: do the exact opposite of Microsoft unless they copied it from the open source world anyway. I won't use outlook for personal use despite having a licence through work, it's hideous and not the role model to be copying. My first filter is colour, then shape, then I have to try and read the damn text. Coloured icons are so much faster to decipher and when you have ADHD anything that speeds up recognizing what is in front of you is a big help. I use colour coding where I can in my daily work and will always print a drawing in colour. Why have a drawing in B&W where I cannot easily differentiate between lines of the drawing and dimensional lines, same applies here.
ApTeM

Post by ApTeM »

The new Thunderbird icons and theme look atrocious: all grey and all the same - that's true. Vote for https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1666112 in case you want to change the situation.

One extra note: there's a way to make Thunderbird look even better if you combine the CSS posted here with https://gist.github.com/silvercircle/02 ... 2b55a581ee
ApTeM

Post by ApTeM »

Here's the final result: Image
ApTeM

Post by ApTeM »

morat, I've noticed you're still running Windows 7. I hope you've taken measures to protect yourself because your OS is no longer supported and there are known very serious vulnerabilities in it. Firewalling could be enough but not necessarily.
morat

Post by morat »

Phoenity Icons addon styles the folder pane and quick filter bar starting in version 3.0b5.

Here is how to add custom colored folders to the folder pane styling.

More info: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14876215

@ApTeM

It's on my TODO list.

#-o
siffemoz

Post by siffemoz »

morat wrote:I don't know of an addon or theme to change the folder pane styling in Thunderbird 78.

I'm using the userChrome.css file to revert the changes.
Thanks, morat. I did this and it worked. Then I commented out the code and it still works - why?