Tabbed Search

Discussion of features in Mozilla Thunderbird
DanRaisch

Re: Tabbed Search

Post by DanRaisch »

When things work properly in Safe Mode but not in Standard Mode it often indicates that an installed extension is causing problems. Try disabling all extensions but one and then close and restart the program. (Disable them by using menu path Tools->Addons->Extensions->click on "Disable" for every extension but one.) See if the problem is present. If not, enable an additional extension and close and restart the application. Repeat this procedure until the problem reappears. The last enabled extension will be the cause of the problem.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

KitchM wrote:No. The cursor just jumps to the search field on the tool bar.
That is what Ctrl+K is supposed to accomplish.

Ctrl+Shift+K goes to the Quick Filter Search.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
KitchM

Post by KitchM »

That's all well and good. However, the better display is still the Edit>Find>Global Search, because that is the only thing that gets its own tab. Which is the point of this post.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

No, that’s not true. Simply entering a search term in the Ctrl-K search field will bring up the results in a new tab.
KitchM

Post by KitchM »

Oh! I see. I did not understand that. So we do not have to start with the tabbed screen; it comes up automatically. That's totally different, and makes a lot more sense.

Thanks for that. It will be helpful going forward.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome.
opto

Post by opto »

Meanwhile, there are some more choices for search in tabs:

1) Nostalgy++ has a search++ tab. It shows the normal search (edit-search-search messages) in a tab. In addition, it has a messagedisplay, so clicking a message will display its content directly in the bottom of the tab, while leaving the searchresults open at top. So it is easy to scroll through search results scanning for specific mails or attachments.
It is possible to have several tabs open starting at different search locations (different accout inboxes or subfolders). Also, drag and drop into the foldertree in the tab is possible, and clicking a folder in the folder tree will set it as new search start folder.

2) Expression search NG: This allows to open on demand global search or a virtual folder search in new tabs, by entering the search term and then pressing either ctrl-enter or shift enter. g:searchterm will open the Gloda indexed search results.

I have 'rescued' both addons since they became inoperable and am maintaining (and expanding their features) now for future TB versions.

Klaus/opto
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I'm glad to hear you created expression search NG. I missed the original .