New Yahoo Mail beta

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
brinke

New Yahoo Mail beta

Post by brinke »

Looks cool.

http://features.mail.yahoo.com/

I had to go hunting for it, and found that link. Having a AT&T Yahoo DSL co-branded account, it takes us forever to get new features- even tho we pay for the service, and everyone else gets it free.
Omega X

Re: New Yahoo Mail beta

Post by Omega X »

Looks a lot like old Yahoo Mail. Except with shiny purple and gold parts.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

I don't get what's the big deal? Yahoo mail has been chat-integrated for ages. And it's always been annoying because it makes my desktop chat client go haywire and slows down how long it takes to get to your EMAIL.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
couldabeen

Post by couldabeen »

One thing it isn't is fast, as claimed. At least it's not for me. It also won't import my addresses from Thunderbird exported ldif files. I haven't tried the 'Desktop' application import yet, but I don't expect it to work any better.
It took about 10 minutes for it to 'read' my inbox and folders when first opened.
IF I can get it back to the classic without problems, I'll stick with it. Should have known better than to believe Yahoo's hype.
Free Your Mind, And Your A$$ Will Follow - Funkadelic, 1970
patrickjdempsey

I suppose having been a free customer for 15 years, Yahoo is in no hurry to rush my "upgrade".
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
brinke

Post by brinke »

Heck, I have had my Y account since May 97---gotta be one of the first I guess. I have PAID for their AT&T DSL for 8 years. I didn't get any invite or notice, I had to go out and look for it. I've already found a bug- any mailto link you click on once you're using the new beta..immediately changes mail back to prior version. nice!
couldabeen

Post by couldabeen »

Won't take ldif files but will take .csv's as imports. Lot of 'tweaking' to do after however.
Still can't get the silly thing back to 'classic'!

So, I guess I'll try to get it back using a mailto link as suggested in the post above.
brinke

Post by brinke »

if you click HELP dropdown, you should be able to change back.
patrickjdempsey

You know, I was pretty sure I had a Yahoo email account in 96 although Wikipedia claims it didn't open until the end of 97. I did have a Lycos account in 96 (which I still use) that was required when I signed up to build a free Tripod website. I did start using AIM and Yahoo Messenger almost immediately after their introduction as well. I'm guessing they will keep the "Classic" option as they have kept it for a long time... although I'm betting they won't maintain the Ajax site for long after the official release of this one.
brinke

Post by brinke »

Hmm, I had a Y! account May of 97. When I got my first Dell. My dad said, you wanna get a 'yahoo' account and a 'hotmail account.' I didn't, at the time..know what those WERE.
couldabeen

Post by couldabeen »

I went looking at some of the saved emails I kept from early on, and the earliest I have for my yahoo account is late November, 1996. That one was the notification of account registration. Why I still have it, I don't know.
RNiK

Post by RNiK »

They are still using "browser sniffing" and Firefox 4 beta isn't recognize by default. :roll:
No HTTPS site. :-s

Sorry Yahoo! you're still far away from Gmail.
MondoWin ==> Italian site for information about MS Windows tweaking
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

For a company that has a huge investment in Javascript frameworks and resources, it sure fails to practice what it preaches.
brinke

Post by brinke »

How can you add the new Yahoo Mail Beta to the mailto: settings in FF? If I click the compose button, it reverts (correctly) to the last version of yahoo mail, since there is no application link for the new beta. right?
patrickjdempsey

Are you blocking cookies from Yahoo mail? Maybe you need to allow a cookie so it can keep the beta turned on?