"Search for text when you start typing"

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Odin2

"Search for text when you start typing"

Post by Odin2 »

I've just become aware of the above option in Settings. It seems very useful; but can it be used at all if I'm seeking more than 1 instance of the particular text?

(I don't like using ctrl+f. I've been using the Multiple Search and Higlight extension, but its user interace is clunky. I'd like ctrl+f better if I could move its queries to the top of the page. Is that possible?)
therube

Re: "Search for text when you start typing"

Post by therube »

Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Odin2

Post by Odin2 »

It seems there are a number of options to use the page find function. I haven't discovered any comprehensive clear explanation of the various choices, but after much experimentation I've found ctrl+f to be the most useful. With ctrl+f the results will persist until dismissed, and using that shortcut will present various sub-options that you can easily change. (The change will stay until changed again, even in the middle ot a find operation.) ESC will dismiss the find bar but not the highlighted results. I have the "Highlight All" sub-option unchecked and proceed from one result to another by using one of the arrow symbols next to the search bar. I hope my experience may be useful to some others.
BruceAWittmeier

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

After you locate the first instance you can continue searching by pressing the F3 function key. Press again for the next instance.
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Note that you can find the "Find" button in the Customize palette and drag it to a toolbar for easy access.