Bookmarklet to stop carousel sliding: what am I doing wrong?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
semigeek

Bookmarklet to stop carousel sliding: what am I doing wrong?

Post by semigeek »

I know some css, but easily get in trouble with js. Jscher provided a bookmarklet to fix a recent Google Maps glitch that disables its Labels checkbox:

Code: Select all

javascript:var btn=document.querySelector('button[jsaction=%22layerswitcher.intent.labels%22]');btn.removeAttribute('disabled');btn.click();void 0;
Now I'm trying to adapt a variant of this to stop a carousel image display on a website. I've learned that I have to add a new attribute data-bs-interval="false" to the div containing the carousel, and it works manually editing the HTML, but this code is not doing that:

javascript:var csl=document.querySelector('div[id=%22carousel-img%22]');csl.addAttribute('data-bs-interval','false');void 0;
Adding quotes (%22) around "false" doesn't help. I'm probably just not using addAttribute correctly?
Last edited by semigeek on December 29th, 2022, 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
morat

Re: Bookmarklet to modify webpage: what am I doing wrong?

Post by morat »

I think addAttribute should be setAttribute.

Reference
http://developer.mozilla.org/docs/Web/A ... dAttribute
http://developer.mozilla.org/docs/Web/A ... tAttribute

Does the following bookmarklet work correctly?

javascript:alert('test');void 0;
Maybe bookmarklets are blocked on that site. (violates the CSP)
semigeek

Post by semigeek »

Thanks morat, you're right about "set" rather than "add"...

javascript:var csl=document.querySelector('#carousel-img');csl.setAttribute('data-bs-interval','false');void 0;
Running this does now add the attribute to the HTML, but somehow still has no effect on the running carousel display, whereas adding the same thing as a manual edit does. What's the difference?
semigeek

Post by semigeek »

Well, in reading about this "Bootstrap Carousel" (apparently popular for images) I stumbled upon a different/better way to do this that actually works, and by not referencing a specific ID seems likely to work also on other webpages with such a carousel:

javascript:$('.carousel').carousel('dispose');void 0;
I'd be interested to hear whether anyone else finds this useful. Are there similar solutions for other types of carousels?

By the way, why do I have to use "$" here? I gather it's just shorthand for getElementById/querySelector, but if I use the syntax of my previous example I get the error "csl.carousel is not a function".
morat

Re: Bookmarklet to stop carousel sliding: what am I doing wr

Post by morat »

The page is likely using a jQuery library with a jQuery carousel plugin.

1. $("#foo").hide();
2. document.querySelector("#foo").hide();
Lines 1 & 2 are not equivalent since the .hide() method is only available with jQuery, not with standard JavaScript.

jQuery Hide
http://api.jquery.com/hide/

jQuery Quick API Reference
http://oscarotero.com/jquery/
semigeek

Post by semigeek »

Thanks, that makes sense.

Incidentally, no carousel display I've tested (including Bootstrap) responds to the ui.prefersReducedMotion preference; I wonder whether anything does. So user js seems the only recourse.
semigeek

Post by semigeek »

OK, now I'm trying to do the same thing for another popular carousel, Owl. I can stop it with "transform: none" in userContent.css, but am having trouble setting up a bookmarklet because setAttribute('transform','none') creates a useless new attribute "transform" instead of modifying the transform part of the existing "style" attribute (a longer string). How do I do that?
morat

Post by morat »

Try these:

element.style.transform = 'none';

element.style.setProperty('transform', 'none');

element.style.setProperty('transform', 'none', 'important');
semigeek

Post by semigeek »

I had already tried the first, and the other two don't work either. The whole "style" string flashes yellow every time the carousel cycles, suggesting that these values are getting rewritten each time so changing them once the carousel is running does nothing... which also appeared to be true for Bootstrap carousel. So once again I need instead a direct call to stop Owl carousel, and saw a likely possibility on GitHub but it hasn't worked. At least I can stop Owl on a per-site basis with transform:none in userContent. (That works on something called MultiCarousel too.) Why don't these things simply have a STOP button?
semigeek

Post by semigeek »

semigeek wrote: Are there similar solutions for other types of carousels?
Yes. Here's the syntax for LayerSlider and FlexSlider (selector might vary, examine the code):

javascript:$('.ls-container').layerSlider('stop');void 0;

javascript:$('.flexslider').flexslider('stop');void 0;