Bookmarks and History missing after backing them up!!!!

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
sillycat41

Bookmarks and History missing after backing them up!!!!

Post by sillycat41 »

I was getting ready to cleanup my Win 10 laptop using Disk Cleanup and CCleaner. I didn't want to lose my History and cleanups always remove it so I opened History > clicked on Import& Backup and choose Backup to create a bookmarks-date.json file.

When I went back after cleaning up and clicked on Restore, chose the correct json file it said "This will replace all of your current bookmarks with the backup. Are you sure?" I clicked OK thinking that would restore them, but when I opened Firefox not only was the Bookmark tool bar missing but all the bookmarks were gone!!! How can I get my Bookmarks back?? They are stored in my Profile, right? What do I do when I find the file? I see no options to restore the file. ?? ](*,)

I have a fairly recent backup of the whole hard drive. I could find the file and copy it but where would I paste it to get my Bookmarks back??
semigeek

Re: Bookmarks and History missing after backing them up!!!!

Post by semigeek »

I may not have your answer, but another post may get someone to notice yours.

Backup stores the json file in whatever directory you choose when the window comes up, by default the last one you used. So when you did Restore, the window presumably showed that directory again, and you're sure you clicked on the correct file? How large is it? If actually empty it should be tiny. If sizable, Restore should work.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Firefox keeps backup in the bookmarkbackups folder.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/re ... -move-them
sillycat41

Post by sillycat41 »

Thanks. I got it fixed a few weeks ago but can't remember how I did it. Getting old :(
redwolfe_98

Post by redwolfe_98 »

try using firefox's bookmarks-manager to "restore" one of the bookmarks-backups, if you have any bookmarks-backups, there.

it is a good idea to backup your bookmarks unless you are not concerned with saving them. i would recommend backing them up in the normal way which is to use the bookmarks-manager to "export" the bookmarks to an HTML-file, and then "backup" the bookmarks-HTML-file like by saving it to a USB flash drive or using online-storage, like "google drive." i primarily use "box.com" for my online-storage.

ccleaner has settings that can be adjusted if you use its "custom-clean." you can set it to not remove your bookmarks-backups, for firefox, or your browsing-history, for firefox, or whatever you want.

incidentally, in ccleaner's "options," there are settings for saving "cookies" that you want to save, like for if you want to stay logged in to a particular website.
find answers at "Mozilla Support":
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/products/firefox
BruceAWittmeier

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

Some on this forum advise against using CCleaner. It has done irreputable damage to configurations of Firefox and other programs.
You might also look at Glary Disk Utilities https://www.glarysoft.com/disk-cleaner/ . I think they pretty much do the same tasks but I have never had a problem with Glary but did with CCleaner.
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
sillycat41

Post by sillycat41 »

Okay thanks... I'll try Glary. Never heard of it.
semigeek

Post by semigeek »

Glad you got the problem fixed, it had to be something fairly simple.

I've been using personal computers since 1983 (back when optimizing disks might actually have mattered a little) and have never used any kind of "cleaning" utility. They just sound like trouble.