Firefox performance depends on where the app is located

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
danll

Firefox performance depends on where the app is located

Post by danll »

OK, this is REALLY weird, and a little complicated. So bear with me.

I am using an M1 iMac 12.6.1 (Monterey) with Firefox 109.0. I have bookmarked some sites at Weatherunderground. When I launch Firefox from my applications folder, that Weatherunderground site (e.g. https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXAUSTI623) complains about not being able to connect - "Error 404: Page Not Found." When I move my Firefox app to the Desktop and launch it from there, everything works properly. I've tried this over and over, moving the app back and forth, and nothing changes. All other websites load just fine no matter where the app is sitting. I trashed and redownloaded Firefox, and the same thing happens. On my MacBook Pro, running High Sierra 10.13.6,with the same Firefox, everything works dandy. No problem with other browsers. This is an issue of THIS Firefox, on THIS Mac, with THIS website, and THIS OS. I should say, this has been happening for a few weeks now. I don't remember what I did when it first started happening.

Why in the world would a particular website not want to connect, depending on where the app is sitting???
dickvl

Re: Firefox performance depends on where the app is located

Post by dickvl »

If you use a bookmark then it is possible that this bookmark no longer is valid or you miss special (session ID) cookies, so try to start with the main page and then navigate to this page.
danll

Post by danll »

How is it that a bookmark becomes no longer valid? That doesn't make a lot of sense, because the URL that comes up when I call up the bookmark is the right one, and it's displayed in the address bar when I get the error. If I just copy it and put it back in the same place, the same thing is going to happen..

Now, I didn't mention another bizzarity. If I get the error, and then reload the page, after a couple of reloads, the error may stop and the page will comes properly. Sometimes after one or two reloads, but often after a lot more, and sometimes not at all.
kreemoweet

Post by kreemoweet »

Websites sometimes put things like session ID's and other info in the URL's of the pages they serve. They also will redirect a web request
from the original URL requested to something else, with no notice given. The URL you see in the address bar is not necessarily the same as
the one in your local bookmark. You can examine the last by going to the Library and seeing what's in the Location column of your bookmark.
danll

Post by danll »

Not quite sure what you mean. Library? I go to Manage Bookmarks to look up the bookmark I'm choosing, and it's exactly what I see on the address bar when I get the error. When the page *does* load, the URL in the address bar is exactly what it was when I got the error and it refused to load. Again, I'm only seeing this behavior on THIS machine. Other machines with the same Firefox version don't have the problem,so it's not obvious that it's something that the website is doing.