Copy message filters from POP to IMAP

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
gogreen

Copy message filters from POP to IMAP

Post by gogreen »

I’m working in Thunderbird 91.10.0 for Mac. I recently switched my POP accounts to IMAP. I saved all my messages and recopied them into their IMAP folders, but I didn't save the message filters. I see that the POP message filters are still the profile's message filter folder, but they appear to be gone in IMAP. Is it possible to copy the POP message filters to their respective IMAP account files? Or can I rename the POP filter files to IMAP?
Arthur
MacOS Ventura 13.5.2
Thunderbird 115.2.2
tanstaafl

Re: Copy message filters from POP to IMAP

Post by tanstaafl »

Yes.

Copy the "msgFilterRules.dat" file from the POP accounts local directory (where it stores its files) to the IMAP accounts local directory and it will use it. You would need to edit the messages filters afterwards if you use them to move messages to other folders and you don't have the same folder layout in the IMAP account.
gogreen

Post by gogreen »

Thanks, tanstaafl. I think I've created a mess, though, with all my switching between POP and IMAP. I can't post an image of the folder, but there are multiple files of varying sizes named 1,2, and 3 for each message folder's POP and IMAP filters. Any suggestions on how to untangle all this--and still get my message filters back? Actually, the only filters that really matter to me are in one of my email accounts, so maybe I could save just those?
Arthur
MacOS Ventura 13.5.2
Thunderbird 115.2.2
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"Actually, the only filters that really matter to me are in one of my email accounts, so maybe I could save just those?"

That sounds reasonable.
gogreen

Post by gogreen »

It worked! I'm not sure why I had several iterations of the default profile directory and files, but I sorted everything and copied the important msgFilterFules.dat files to the right places. Thanks, tanstaafl, for the guidance.
Arthur
MacOS Ventura 13.5.2
Thunderbird 115.2.2