not able to send an encrypted email.

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
gerlinux

not able to send an encrypted email.

Post by gerlinux »

Everytime I try to send an encrpyted email I got this messatge:

Unable to send this message with end-to-end encryption, because there are problems with the keys of the following recipients: whatever@examplemail.org

any ideas?
thanks in advance
tanstaafl

Re: not able to send an encrypted email.

Post by tanstaafl »

Moved from Thunderbird Features to Thunderbird Support because you're looking for help on how to use a existing feature.
tanstaafl

Re: not able to send an encrypted email.

Post by tanstaafl »

I assume you're trying to send a encrypted message using OpenPGP with version 91.4.0. Do you have the recipients public key?

See https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/op ... to-and-faq

"How do I get the public keys of my correspondents?
If your correspondent sends you an email with their public key attached, or as a regular attachment, or contained in a hidden email header according to the Autocrypt standard, then Thunderbird will offer you to import the key.

You may try to discover keys online by email address, by clicking on an email address in an email message you are reading, and using the command "discover key" shown in the popup menu. Currently, it will search for published keys using the WKD protocol, and it will search for keys in the keys.openpgp.org keyserver. The same mechanism can be used from the OpenPGP Key Manager, using the Keyserver, "Discover Keys Online" command, which allows you to search by any email address or key ID or fingerprint. Also, the same discovery mechanism can be used when having attempted to send an encrypted email, and reviewing the missing key information. If a key has been published on the Internet, you may download the key and use OpenPGP key manager to import the downloaded file. Or you may try to import by downloading from a given URL.

Enigmail used to offer searching on non-verifying keyservers. At this time Thunderbird doesn't offer that, because of the various issues that were detected with those keyservers in the recent past. If you need to obtain a key from a keyserver that isn't currently supported by Thunderbird 78, then you must use other software to obtain it, then save it to a file, then you can use OpenPGP Key Manager to import the public key file.

You can get the correspondent's public keys from other servers using the following gpg command:

gpg --keyserver pgp.key-server.io --armor --export PASTE_KEY_ID_HERE

Copy the received public PGP key to clipboard and import it using OpenPGP Key Manager's Edit menu by selecting the "Import Keys from Clipboard" option.
"

https://thunderbird.topicbox.com/groups ... 14d3a64b54 might also help.