Filter works only when trigger manually

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
ddaa

Filter works only when trigger manually

Post by ddaa »

I have a hotmail/outlook account configured as IMAP.
Some mail is directly retrieved in the junk folder.
Since some legit emails go to the junk folder I always have to browse the folder in order not to miss important mails.
Luckily, 90% of my junk mail has always the same reply-to field, so there is a very simple pattern to implement in the filters which would let me get rid of the real 90% of the spam.
But then the surprise... the filter I defined, only works when manually run on the junk folder explicitly.
This is useless, of course. I feel stupid but I cannot get it to work.
So I am asking here how can I accomplish this very basic task. I believe I am missing something...
tanstaafl

Re: Filter works only when trigger manually

Post by tanstaafl »

By default message filters are only run automatically for the inbox because that is the only folder that is automatically checked for new mail. Check the checkbox in the junk folders properties in the folder pane to "when getting new messages for this account always check this folder."

You need to right click on the folder in the folder pane to get the context menu that has "properties" as a menu item.

If you already did that enable the filer log. The filter might have run but failed. If so, the log might tell you why.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/or ... ng-filters
ddaa

Post by ddaa »

I found elsewhere that this is "by design"...

But this is surprising: I am using a desktop email client just to have more freedom to do this kind of things...
Since this is "by design" and since my target is quite simple and extremely common, then there must be some other way to accomplish this task.
Actually, during a quick google search, I just found many people facing the same trouble as me...
I was hoping Thunderbird had this basic functionality.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

It has that functionality, it just is not enabled by default. Probably because it appears to cost an extra tcp-ip connection for each additional folder you want it to check. Some email providers (such as ones using a Courier email server) default to a 5 tcp-ip connections per node limit.

If you are having that much problem with their spam filtering (and you find it so easy to detect yourself) why don't you disable it?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/off ... 987e880e46 (how to disable spam filtering in outlook.com)
ddaa

Post by ddaa »

No, the free outlook web mail does not let you disable spam filter. What you found is for outlook 365 paid web version.
I hope I could get away with thunderbird, but this does not seem possible.

I find this crazy.
In this moment I have my junk folder with 29 messages coming from the same sender which are real spam and one legit email. If I had a filter, all the 29 would have been deleted.