Thunderbird moving from Beta to Release issues (Mac)

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
KIA

Thunderbird moving from Beta to Release issues (Mac)

Post by KIA »

So I had to upgrade by going to the beta release for thunderbird. Now on 100b1. But wanted to test if the release version resolved the issue.

Using /Applications/Thunderbird.app/Contents/MacOS/thunderbird-bin --p --allow-downgrade

I can open the profile in TB release. Everything seems to be working fine but after a little while it tries to redownload all my email again over the years. It should just continue from where it left off.

Any help in resolving this?
Last edited by DanRaisch on May 4th, 2022, 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (Mac) added to Subject line.
DanRaisch

Re: Thunderbird moving from Beta to Release issues (Mac)

Post by DanRaisch »

How is the account set up, as POP or IMAP?
In Thunderbird the menu path is Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
tanstaafl

Re: Thunderbird moving from Beta to Release issues

Post by tanstaafl »

You're using a POP account and its downloading old mail from the server again? The popstate.dat file in the POP accounts "local directory" (specified in the accounts server settings, at the bottom near the Browse button) is used to keep track of what messages have been downloaded. It might be corrupt. Its way too time consuming to try to edit it to fix that, if its corrupt you'd normally exit Thunderbird, delete that file and restart. That will download everything again, but only one time.

I'd start by upgrading to 101.0b1. I have mainly IMAP accounts but have one POP account and it is still working correctly. It hasn't downloaded again any old mail and only downloads one copy of new mail. If that doesn't solve the problem you might have no choice but to delete the popstate.dat file.

I have several other versions sharing a different profile using --allow-downgrade without any problems. So I don't think support for that command line argument has broken.

You might want to think about switching to a IMAP account . It avoids several problems that are inherent with POP accounts . You can always use a message filter to automatically copy new mail to the inbox in the Local Folders account if you want to safely keep a copy of messages on your hard disk.
KIA

Post by KIA »

DanRaisch wrote:How is the account set up, as POP or IMAP?
In Thunderbird the menu path is Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
Seems to be impact POP accounts.
KIA

Re: Thunderbird moving from Beta to Release issues

Post by KIA »

Thanks for the response.
tanstaafl wrote:You're using a POP account and its downloading old mail from the server again? The popstate.dat file in the POP accounts "local directory" (specified in the accounts server settings, at the bottom near the Browse button) is used to keep track of what messages have been downloaded. It might be corrupt. Its way too time consuming to try to edit it to fix that, if its corrupt you'd normally exit Thunderbird, delete that file and restart. That will download everything again, but only one time.
If it was corrupted then it wouldnt still work with beta release I feel. Only when I downgrade to the release channel version of TB then it downloads all the old emails again.
tanstaafl wrote: I'd start by upgrading to 101.0b1. I have mainly IMAP accounts but have one POP account and it is still working correctly. It hasn't downloaded again any old mail and only downloads one copy of new mail. If that doesn't solve the problem you might have no choice but to delete the popstate.dat file.
Actually on 101.0b1 (64-bit) as shared in the original post.
tanstaafl wrote: I have several other versions sharing a different profile using --allow-downgrade without any problems. So I don't think support for that command line argument has broken.

You might want to think about switching to a IMAP account . It avoids several problems that are inherent with POP accounts . You can always use a message filter to automatically copy new mail to the inbox in the Local Folders account if you want to safely keep a copy of messages on your hard disk.
Switching isn't an option. There are reasons that do not allow changing from pop to imap.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I suggest you ask for help in https://thunderbird.topicbox.com/groups/beta as your only problem is backwards compatibility (if I understand you correctly). I'm not aware of the format of popstate.dat changing.

If that doesn't help I suggest you file a bug report at https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/home . If you do that please post a link to the bug report .
KIA

Post by KIA »

Will do :(