Upgrade to 102.3.2 - Mails Deleted

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
nadja.1

Upgrade to 102.3.2 - Mails Deleted

Post by nadja.1 »

Hi,
I upgraded to 102.3.2. Now I can't find my mails on the IMAP servers anymore. In the activity managers I see Deleted Folder Inbox (Server 1), Deleted Folder Spam (Server 1) etc. Why would a program delete folders for an upgrade? That's mindboggling.

And why is there no option to check for new mails? Seems like a pretty basic function for a mail program?
DanRaisch

Re: Upgrade to 102.3.2 - Mails Deleted

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Thunderbird Support as no specific bug has yet been identified here.

Who is the email provider?
How did the update occur? Di you use menu path Help->About Thunderbird Update to....?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I suggest you check your account settings. Perhaps they were changed as part of the update . It shouldn't occur but sometimes it does.

If you log into webmail using a browser are the two folders empty (or missing all of your old mail)?

Why do you say there is no option to check for new mail? Look in your accounts server settings. You can use the get messages button though normally you don't need to use it as Thunderbird automatically checks for new mail on startup , periodically polls for new mail every X minutes, and can also be configured ("allow immediate server notifications when new messages arrive") to have the server automatically tell you of new mail without having to poll for it if Thunderbird isn't busy.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Moved from thunderbird bugs to thunderbird support. It looks like dan's prior move attempt failed.
nadja.1

Post by nadja.1 »

Hi, thank you for your advice. Regarding the servers: I had to manually add all accounts again. Thank goodness I use IMAP, so the mails were still on the servers. Not sure why TB decided it was ok to delete the old folders.

There really is no option to check for new mail in the menus which is a very odd thing for a mail program. In hindsight I realized I had buttons (text only) on the menu bar in order to manually check for mail (and other stuff). They were gone as well. So I had to reconfigure roughly 50% of my TB installation. Thank you very much.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

So it really wasn't that Thunderbird does not have a function to check for new mail but only that you did not find a button on the tool ar for that action. Is that correct?
nadja.1

Post by nadja.1 »

Hi Dan, yes. Out of box, it would not be possible for someone to manually check the mail. Only after adding the button to the toolbar, this is doable if I see it correctly. Given all the weird that's in the menues, that's fairly strange for a mail program.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

If you are using IMAP accounts you don't need to use the Get Messages button (which should already be on the menu bar toolbar). You can check the checkbox to check for mail on startup, check every X minutes, and to "allow immediate server notifications when new messages arrive". The later used to be called IDLE support due to it using the IMAP IDLE command. Basically the mail server automatically notifies the email client when there is new mail if the email client is not telling the mail server to do anything - no need for the email client to poll for new mail in that case.
nadja.1

Post by nadja.1 »

hi, don't tell that to my mail server. Funnily enough, I occasionally have to check for mails manually. :-) And that was not really my point. My point was that I am using software for which I did not pay and to which I did not contribute. This software serviced mostly by volunteers delivered a really crappy update that required me to invest two hours of my time to fix it. So I guess we are even now. :-)

No, the update really sucked and what it did, certainly should never ever happen.