Sending mails times out first, then OK

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
ottobe

Sending mails times out first, then OK

Post by ottobe »

A few weeks ago sending mails became problematic. When sending a mail I get the "Checking mail server capabilities" pop-up standing for several minutes until it times out with an error message: "The server responded xxx. Disconnected for inactivity".
If I then press send again at once, the mail is sent without problems.

Sending mail from another PC with Thunderbird works fine, so the mail-server is OK.
I have updated Thunderbird without that solving the case.

Problem PC is running Win 7 Pro, Thunderbird Version: 102.5.0. OK PC is running Win 10.
DanRaisch

Re: Sending mails times out first, then OK

Post by DanRaisch »

How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
ottobe

Post by ottobe »

DanRaisch wrote:How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
It is set up as IMAP. The other working PC has exactly same setup. And everything was fine, with no changes in setup before this started.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

On the problem machine, what is selected as the target for saving Sent messages? Find that under menu path Tools->Account Settings->Copies & Folders.
ottobe

Post by ottobe »

DanRaisch wrote:On the problem machine, what is selected as the target for saving Sent messages? Find that under menu path Tools->Account Settings->Copies & Folders.
They are in the "Sent" Folder on <My mail address>. I Guess that is saved on server. No local copy.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

And that can be a cause of your problem. Some servers can lag in accepting and copying the outgoing message to the IMAP sent folder.. If you do not access that account from multiple computers, or if you do but don't need access to sent messages from multiple computers, you could change that option to point to the Sent folder under Thunderbird's Local Folders structure. That would store Sent messages on the local system and eliminate any potential for delays on the server side.