thunderbird and windows 7 so gmail works

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
karenanne

thunderbird and windows 7 so gmail works

Post by karenanne »

Awhile back I was in here asking about upgrading from old thunderbird on my windows xp system so I could use thunderbird with gmail. The latter had stopped working when gmail upgraded security requirements.

I retired in defeat, but now I am trying again and hope for some initial info.

The latest version of thunderbird currently is 102,6,1 and claims to work on windows 7.

Questions:

1. Is 102.6.1 a good version, or is it buggy and I should install some older version? The old version I have on XP is bug free as far as I have experienced and I don't wand to deal with crappy software.

2. I don't want whatever version I install to update. Is there at least a way to make it ask if it can update vs just updating and better yet turning off updating permanently?

3. I want to use POP with gmail because I want to keep my email on my laptop. My understanding is current thunderbird sets up IMAP automatically. Does any
one know what I need to change to get POP working with gmail?

Thanks very much.
tanstaafl

Re: thunderbird and windows 7 so gmail works

Post by tanstaafl »

I'm happy with 102.6.1. I'm using "Windows_NT 10.0 22000"

Long term its a lousy idea not to update. I suggest you be a late adopter instead where you default to not automatically updating, and once or twice a year let it update to a very mature build.

My experience is that POP accounts actually cause more problems than IMAP accounts. I don't understand your reluctance to use IMAP as you can still store the mail on your laptop, and there are less interoperability problems.
karenanne

Post by karenanne »

tanstaafl wrote:I'm happy with 102.6.1. I'm using "Windows_NT 10.0 22000"

Long term its a lousy idea not to update. I suggest you be a late adopter instead where you default to not automatically updating, and once or twice a year let it update to a very mature build.

My experience is that POP accounts actually cause more problems than IMAP accounts. I don't understand your reluctance to use IMAP as you can still store the mail on your laptop, and there are less interoperability problems.
I was not aware I could store my email on my laptop using IMAP. How do I do that? Thanks.

I fear updates :-) since I have seen them trash things. I was using MalwareBytes Anti-Malware when an update turned systems into bricks, for example. If something works well, I am happy to stay using it. Also new versions are often more complicated than older versions. For example, Paint, Excel, and Word are more complicated on 7 than XP. Search on 7 is a mess compared to XP.
karenanne

Post by karenanne »

Does anyone know the state of updating with this latest version? Does the user at least have a choice?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

IMAP accounts store a local copy of messages by default, though its possible to disable that feature.

I've never had problems with malwarebytes antimalware, but I install very little extra security software on my PC, which reduces the risks.

You don't have to update to the latest version of Thunderbird if you don't want to, but my experience is thats its very low risk.
karenanne

Post by karenanne »

No one knows if updating can be turned off or at least if the user is asked?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

The user is asked. If you're not interested in regularly updating the software its an annoyance.
cirquelle

Post by cirquelle »

karenanne wrote:I don't want whatever version I install to update. Is there at least a way to make it ask if it can update vs just updating and better yet turning off updating permanently?
You can configure Thunderbird to Automatically install updates or to Check for updates, but let me choose whether to install them. This is done in Preferences, General, Thunderbird Updates.

See the following links for more information:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ma ... in10:tb102
https://enterprise.thunderbird.net/mana ... rd-updates

Or, with more work, you can enable a policy that allows you to disable updates entirely or switch to manual updates only. It's somewhat technical, but if you'd like instructions on how to do that, just ask and I'll be happy to post them.