If Tbird stays open long enough it stops pulling new emails

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
dazco

If Tbird stays open long enough it stops pulling new emails

Post by dazco »

I like to leave it open most of the day so i'm alerted to any new emails. But not always but fairly often I will not recieve new emails from my gmail account when i'm quite sure i have some because i'm expecting them. So i login to gmail in my web browser and sure enough i have emails. So if i close Tbird and reopen it, THEN it fetches them. Anyone know whats happening and how to fix it? This is 102.5.1. I have the updates disabled with an app because often when it updates some feature i need goes away or changes or whatever. I've asked things like this many times and i'm always told to update and when i do it almost never fixes it. So unless someone is SURE that would fix it, lets please not go there. Thanks.
DanRaisch

Re: If Tbird stays open long enough it stops pulling new ema

Post by DanRaisch »

How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
dazco

Post by dazco »

IMAP
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Have you tried simply pressing Shift+F5 to get new messages for all accounts?
dazco

Post by dazco »

No but thats not the pint because i can close it and open it if i want to get it to download them. The point is i leave it open and i can look at the PC any time i walk by it during the day to see if i got an email or even know when i'm somewhere else in the house due to the arrival sound.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

And that was exactly the point. My suggestion was intended as a diagnostic step to see if that step works as intended.