'check for updates' alternative

Discussion of features in Seamonkey
Justinh

'check for updates' alternative

Post by Justinh »

(moderator - not sure of the best forum, so move as needed)
Since the 'check for updates' (Help menu) functionality doesn't work, and it sounds like it won't be working anytime soon, can SeaMonkey consider changing this feature to where it is:
a) removed from the UI, or
b) pop a dlg (or point to a webpage) that says to go to the latest release page

I say this for two reasons:
1) the current behavior is to show a dlg that says 'no updates found, check back later', but this is misleading and get the user nowhere
2) since updates won't ever be found, it is discouraging to users who don't know/care to go look for updates on the release page, knowing that the update dlg says there are not updates
frg

Re: 'check for updates' alternative

Post by frg »

Updates were enabled briefly yesterday until a bug with picking the wrong language was discovered. ewong is working on it. I expect updates working again either soon or when 2.53.8 is released. Only 2.53.5 and up will be able to update out of the box. 2.53.1 and up can be updated with a manual workaround which will be documented for anyone left not wanting to use the full installer for unknown reasons.

FRG
Justinh

Post by Justinh »

I'm glad to here that, FRG! Looking forward to it!
ewong

Post by ewong »

frg wrote:Updates were enabled briefly yesterday until a bug with picking the wrong language was discovered. ewong is working on it. I expect updates working again either soon or when 2.53.8 is released. Only 2.53.5 and up will be able to update out of the box. 2.53.1 and up can be updated with a manual workaround which will be documented for anyone left not wanting to use the full installer for unknown reasons.

FRG
Is there something about the 2.53.1 update that I need to know? I thought that if I had changed the code, clients would just update 2.53.1 to
whatever version is the latest for the 2.53.x family.

:ewong
This statement is false.
ewong

Post by ewong »

Oh wait... the change to updates wasn't made in 2.53.1 .. *sigh*
This statement is false.