Shortcut to toggle proxy

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Psychonaut

Shortcut to toggle proxy

Post by Psychonaut »

I normally browse through a direct connection to the Internet, but sometimes I need to access paywalled resources, for which I use a SOCKS proxy to my university. Turning the proxy on and off is rather tedious (i.e., first navigate to Edit->Preferences->Advanced->Proxies, then select either "Direct connection to the Internet" or "Manual proxy configuration" and press "Close"). Is there some way of toggling the proxy using a toolbar button or keyboard shortcut?

I found a few add-ons but from their descriptions it's not clear to me that they do what I need. Proxy Privacy Ruler seems to enable proxies in private windows only, not on demand. Toggle Proxy claims to add a button that can "toggle between two proxies" (which is not what I want, unless "no proxy" counts as a proxy), and moreover doesn't seem to be available for SeaMonkey. Proxy Tool is sufficiently complex that it might be configurable to toggle a single proxy, but it too is not available for SeaMonkey.
TPR75

Re: Shortcut to toggle proxy

Post by TPR75 »

Psychonaut wrote:Is there some way of toggling the proxy using a toolbar button or keyboard shortcut?
For changing proxy type (direct connection or e.g. manual configuration) is responsible one preference:

Code: Select all

network.proxy.type
I think "Custom Buttons" can be used to toggle this settings:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14742910

Sorry! I don't have time for more tests so there will be this hit only.
--
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

TPR75 wrote:For changing proxy type (direct connection or e.g. manual configuration) is responsible one preference:

Code: Select all

network.proxy.type
I think "Custom Buttons" can be used to toggle this settings:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14742910
Unfortunately, the Custom Buttons add-on doesn't seem to work for me, even after converting it. The SeaMonkey error console throws up all kinds of errors when I try to add or edit a button ("TypeError: oBtn._handlers is undefined", "TypeError: winButton.destroy is not a function", "TypeError: can't convert undefined to object", etc.). Clicking on the button in the toolbar seems to have no effect.

Can you or anyone else recommend another add-on that enables one to create a button or keyboard shortcut for toggling a preference?
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Moving this to SeaMonkey Support...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
hardys

Post by hardys »

You can try Prefbar. Here you can set custom buttons for enable/disable proxy or choose your proxy fav from a dropdown list.
http://prefbar.tuxfamily.org/archive.html
raj_bhaskar

Post by raj_bhaskar »

You can specify whether or not you're using a proxy with the "go on/offline" icon in the status bar (it's the one with two pipes connected, to the left of the 'padlock' icon). Right-click it to get a menu of options of manual/automatic/no proxy.
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

raj_bhaskar wrote:You can specify whether or not you're using a proxy with the "go on/offline" icon in the status bar (it's the one with two pipes connected, to the left of the 'padlock' icon). Right-click it to get a menu of options of manual/automatic/no proxy.
Well, that's certainly easier than fiddling with all these brittle extensions. Thanks!