Seamonkey profile STORAGE folder

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
webmoebius

Seamonkey profile STORAGE folder

Post by webmoebius »

I noticed that in Seamonkey's user profile folder, under the path ..\STORAGE\DEFAULT that there are a large number of folders (into the thousands) that are website specific as can be seen by the subfolder names under DEFAULT. It was surprising to me that my Seamonkey user profile disc space consumption has grown to beyond 1 GB, even without the browser cache folder being placed inside the user profile folder as I always have my browser cache folder location custom configured and currently isn't even using disk caching (disabled).

I was wondering how a user could delete some or all of these files under the ..\STORAGE\DEFAULT folder and what would happen if they were manually deleted, since I'm not sure what they are for in the first place. If they hold site specific information, that is a surprise to me as I always thought that information was held in the SQLITE databases within the user profile folder.
Rob_S

Re: Seamonkey profile STORAGE folder

Post by Rob_S »

Me too, would like an explanation of what exactly is all stored in there. It seems every site I visit sets up storage for itself.

I also wonder if the cleaning of private data on exit would erase these files and folders. Of course I want to keep site settings such as zoom level and passwords.
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

Rob_S wrote:Me too, would like an explanation of what exactly is all stored in there. It seems every site I visit sets up storage for itself.
[....]
  • if you use the search box boards, on the right side panel of the forum, you will get the results (.... about 640 results) you are looking for. Image

How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240318 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.2
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240416 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

OOhh, thank you

Found this, http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3023971

In which I read something about "poorly documented" .

That cleared it all up. :D

Got rid of all mine, and LO and Behold, the world kept turning.
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240318 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.2
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240416 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

ElTxolo wrote:
Rob_S wrote:Me too, would like an explanation of what exactly is all stored in there. It seems every site I visit sets up storage for itself.
[....]
  • if you use the search box boards, on the right side panel of the forum, you will get the results (.... about 640 results) you are looking for. Image

ELtxolo,

I found 62 megs of stuff in default. Just now deleted all. Any bad side effects of doing that?

Tks,

Nick
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
webmoebius

Post by webmoebius »

ElTxolo wrote:if you use the search box boards, on the right side panel of the forum, you will get the results
Actually didn't get anything too useful but I got the gist of it just being local storage. Had never previously paid attention to this folder before the whole time and gladly completely purged all of it. What a waste of disc space up to this point at 4 kb a pop. Starting to think that I should use the trick of using Windows JUNCTION command to redirect this folder to the same folder as where I put the SM browser cache folder in, so that when I purge everything in the cache folder, that garbage gets purged too. And let's not forget the TEMPORARY folder either, not just the DEFAULT folder. Lots of junk and temporary files.

The only thing that's a pity is that purging all these junk files didn't remove the large number of domains logged in the ABOUT:DATA panel, and there's no way to use a single command to wipe them all out.